6 replies to this topic

#1 nedthehead

nedthehead

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:25 PM

I´m really, really pleased to report that Amy and her band delivered an exciting, up-tempo and really accomplished set at the above festival in Spain. Definitely a good 8/10 ! Amy came on stage bang on time at 21.30 hrs, and left it 55 minutes later (a DJ act was due on at 22.30 hrs). Probably because of the tight schedule there was no encore and little interaction with the crowd (although she asked the crowd how they were, and said a couple of other things which i didn´t catch). For those of you interested, Amy was wearing white, denim hotpants and a brown sleveless top that revealed her midriff (a bit Spanish-style). I didn´t see what she had on her feet !! For someone who´s had the press, the public and even her fans on her back in a pretty intense way in the past few weeks, and who´s rumoured to have some serious abuse problems, Amy appeared pretty relaxed and content, happy even, and healthy. She was smiling throughout the concert and so appeared to enjoy it. I would like to think that the audience played a part in this. From start to finish, the audience were loudly applauding her, singing back her songs to her, and also dancing away to a few of the more up-tempo songs. Much more so than other artists, I think Amy needs and desires a really positive reaction from her audience. Otherwise, I don´t think you will see her at her best. Amy came on stage without a drink and didn´t have a drink at all during the concert. She appeared totally sober and even when she briefly ran off stage a few times btwn. songs, I think it was just to check times, running order, etc. The band were her usual players, although one of the dancers/ singers (the one who ain´t Zalon- soz, don´t know his name) was replaced with someone else. A few songs before the end, Amy introduced her band and singers to the audience individually and each one got a big round of applause. I managed to get a run-list from a roadie at the end of the concert, which I´ve detailed below. You´ll see that she didn´t keep to the run-list, playing some songs that weren´t on there and not playing some (from 'Frank') that were listed. Btwn. songs, I heard Amy tell one of the musicians that she wanted 'Back to Black' next instead of what her band all thought thay were going to be playing ('Cherry'). I think this is a good thing as it shows that Amy isn´t simply going through the motions but is showing a real interest in the concert, is being spontaneous and creative ! I think it´s that she´s responding to the positive atmosphere in the venue, to the reaction given to her from her audince. She can see that the audience is really up for it and so believes that a certain song ('Back to Black') will better sustain and increase that energy than the song which they planned to play, which could be slower or less well-known ('Cherry'). Even when I saw Amy put on an absolute stormer of a show at Shepherd´s Bush, London 2/3 months back, it still took her 2-3 songs before she hit her stride and started sounding really good. Benicassim was no exception. This isn´t a criticism. I´m sure it´s the same for all artists. I dunno, maybe I´m being harsh on her and it´s not her fault at all. It could well be technical adjustments need to be made on the sound desk or whatever during those first couple of songs. But for me, who was about five back from the front, her voise on the first couple of songs sounded a bit distorted, too loud. However from the third song in, her voice was quality and the music really good. The crowd lapped it up and loved her and showed their appreciation throughout. Afterwards I spoke with a few people who were there, all of whom hadn´t seen Amy before, and they all echoed the above. All songs were greeted really well by the audience but those that I thought got an even louder response, I´ve marked with an * below. For me, 'Monkey Man' and 'Valerie' were outstanding. Everyone around me was dancing and moving to them. THE GIRL DONE REALLY, REALLY WELL. SHE´S DEFINITELY BACK !! If she shows this kind of form on her American tour (although she can do even better), she´ll blast 'em away and they´ll love her even more. BENICASSIM SET-LIST: Addicted Just Friends Tears Dry on Their Own * He Can Only Hold Her For So Long (incl. the Fugees/ Lauryn Hill refrain) Cherry--didn´t play Back to Black ** Love is a Losing Game Fuck Me Pumps--didn´t play (yeh, I wish she had done it as well) Poor Little Rich Girl ** Wonderin--didn´t recognise this tune when it was played, but this is title on the run-list. It sounded like a cover of an old reggae tune but I think it could be a Specials' tune. Rehab ** Cupid** --this wasn´t down on the run-list Me and Mr Jones I´m no Good ** Wake Up Alone--this wasn´t down on the run-list Monkey Man ** Valerie ** P.S. to see photos of Amy at Benicassim, go to nme.com and to their Benicassim Festival highlights. There are 69 photos of festival in all, and Amy´s at No´s 5,6,and 7.

#2 Byron

Byron

I do a 180

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:54 PM

Thanks so much for this post, nice details. Glad you had a blast!!!!

#3 sarahbol

sarahbol

I died a hundred times.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,736 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:16 PM

Thanks for your review. I'm really glad you had a nice time.

The band were her usual players, although one of the dancers/ singers (the one who ain´t Zalon- soz, don´t know his name) was replaced with someone else.
Btwn. songs, I heard Amy tell one of the musicians that she wanted 'Back to Black' next instead of what her band all thought thay were going to be playing ('Cherry').

Same when I saw her last month. I think his name is Ade, am I right?

Amy came on stage without a drink and didn´t have a drink at all during the concert. She appeared totally sober and even when she briefly ran off stage a few times btwn. songs, I think it was just to check times, running order, etc.

Seriously? Wow... Less than a month ago, she had two big drinks during a shorter concert and now she had none :giggle:
She had a paper with I suppose the running order lying in front of her at Rock Werchter.

#4 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:51 PM

Great review, w/ lots of details; thanks for posting - :-). Only 2 months till I see her in Chi-town - can't wait!

#5 PabloD

PabloD

We bathe under blue light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:12 PM

I feel sad now. I was going to go credited as press (she hasn't given any interview so I'd have to pay for the trip and hotel) but decided not to because I was scared of her pulling out at last minute. I'm pissed off for not having had the guts to go and see her... I hope she comes back to Spain soon otherwise I'll have to go to London on autumn. Thanks for the review.

#6 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:48 AM

great review, thanks for the post. sounds like Amy is really hitting her stride.... "If she shows this kind of form on her American tour (although she can do even better), she´ll blast 'em away and they´ll love her even more." looking forward to being blasted!

#7 Moody's Mood

Moody's Mood

You sent me flying

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:54 PM

I feel sad now. I was going to go credited as press (she hasn't given any interview so I'd have to pay for the trip and hotel) but decided not to because I was scared of her pulling out at last minute. I'm pissed off for not having had the guts to go and see her... I hope she comes back to Spain soon otherwise I'll have to go to London on autumn.
Thanks for the review.

Same for me, I didn't go because I was scared she wouldn't show up. I was on holiday in Benicassim and could've just walked there. But it was too expensive, I had to go alone, and didn't care about the other artists either. Couldn't take the risk, plus I have tickets for another show anyway :) but yeah, still a bit sad about not having been there..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users