• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:40 AM

And another one:

8 of 10 people found the following review helpful:
I love Amy Winehouse, September 26, 2007
By Museum Lover (Kansas) - See all my reviews

I heard a lot about a troubled singer named Amy Winehouse and finally watched the Rehab video about 4 months ago. I instantly knew I was watching and listening to a true artist. I rarely buy cd's or even listen to new music, but I bought this the day I first heard Amy, and I listen to it every day. I'm a fairly conservative 41-year old woman, and my 13-year old son wonders how I can rave about a drug & alcohol abusing singer, given my "strict" ways regarding drugs, etc., but I absolutely LOVE Amy Winehouse, and for her I make allowances. Her kind of talent is a very rare gift. Forget what you read in the tabloids and buy this cd. She is what she is, which is an extremely talented young woman.

Posted Image
"Flawed yet fabulous, tormented yet towering"

#92 Winehousedrunk

Winehousedrunk

The sky above, a blaze that only lovers see..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:38 AM

I feel as if We're getting ready to experience another "Miracle at Glastonbury" moment. When she took the stage in pouring rain and sang "the sun comes up", and indeed the sun appeared as if she had summoned it with her power and grace. I nearly expect a star to fall from the sky tonight and gently land upon her tiny shoulder.

.o~oOo~o.

As pain is Amy's inspiration, she no doubt will deliver her most heart wretching, soul baring collection yet. I wish she didn't have to suffer so for her craft. It truly pains me to know how heartbroken she has to be.

Amy Winehouse died, and she's taken a part of my soul with her. May that part be the love that I felt for her, and may the love that I still feel for her be the undying part of us both.

#93 Winehousedrunk

Winehousedrunk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 12:30 AM

Quotes from Boy George (formerly from Culture Club) about Amy, taken from Neil McCormick’s interview, published on 24 Januari, 2008:

"I love Amy Winehouse. My favourite thing was seeing her going into Shoreditch police station, because that's where I was nicked. It's obviously the pop star cop shop. She looks as if she should be in a John Waters movie, the pencil skirt, the beehive, always slightly dizzy. She reminds me of myself in the early days of Culture Club. She really inspired me to sing again. For me, the measure of a great singer is whether they make me cry. I love George Michael's voice, but he never made me cry. Amy makes it sound so effortless, but she's not faking it. It comes down to a complete package, feeling it, doing it, living it."

© Copyright of Telegraph Media Group Limited

Related news, 19 October, 2009:

According to NME, Boy George has written a song about Amy Winehouse. He wrote it during the four months that he was in prison for beating and falsely imprisoning a man in his East London flat. The song, which is titled, "Your Pain Makes a Beautiful Sound," features the lyrics: "You're a genius, you're a car crash/It's hard to say what you do best."

Edited by Winehousedrunk, 24 October 2009 - 12:37 AM.

Amy Winehouse died, and she's taken a part of my soul with her. May that part be the love that I felt for her, and may the love that I still feel for her be the undying part of us both.

#94 suestev07

suestev07

injured butterfly is so talented, it hurts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 04:48 PM

I wonder if this song will be included in his release next year.

“I wrote a lot of stuff, which will be released next year”, Boy George told The Times of his stay in HMP Edmunds Hill in Suffolk. “I wrote a diary, and songs.”

Quotes from Boy George (formerly from Culture Club) about Amy, taken from Neil McCormick’s interview, published on 24 Januari, 2008:

"I love Amy Winehouse. My favourite thing was seeing her going into Shoreditch police station, because that's where I was nicked. It's obviously the pop star cop shop. She looks as if she should be in a John Waters movie, the pencil skirt, the beehive, always slightly dizzy. She reminds me of myself in the early days of Culture Club. She really inspired me to sing again. For me, the measure of a great singer is whether they make me cry. I love George Michael's voice, but he never made me cry. Amy makes it sound so effortless, but she's not faking it. It comes down to a complete package, feeling it, doing it, living it."

© Copyright of Telegraph Media Group Limited

Related news, 19 October, 2009:

According to NME, Boy George has written a song about Amy Winehouse. He wrote it during the four months that he was in prison for beating and falsely imprisoning a man in his East London flat. The song, which is titled, "Your Pain Makes a Beautiful Sound," features the lyrics: "You're a genius, you're a car crash/It's hard to say what you do best."

\"it was as if all the emotions in the universe suddenly were coming out of her mouth.\" --Entertainment Weekly music critic Chris Willman.

"It's open-heart surgery set to music" - Sunday Herald article by Peter Ross Jan 7/07

"Be kinder than necessary...because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." - Anon.

#95 sarahbol

sarahbol

I died a hundred times.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,736 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:13 AM

Hasn't he already released a song with Amy in it?
And I go back to... I go back to us.

Bruised, battered and desparate for a fag she may be, but Amy is our 21st Century Piaf: flawed yet fabulous, tormented yet towering. Think of her this way and hope that the still remarkably young woman under the eyeliner thinks that way too. - Jude Rogers, The Word

#96 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 02:34 PM

Hasn't he already released a song with Amy in it?

yes, august 08:
love the closing shot:
Posted Image
He was on J. Ross Friday:
Would love to hear Amy cover this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7ViHLboG3k
Edit: talking a bit about Amy on J. Ross: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0RMzGitsz4&feature=related#t=3m4s

Edited by Alan48, 25 October 2009 - 03:47 PM.

#97 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:37 PM

Good song and video. Amy truly is an icon like they say. Kudo's to Mr George. LOL

#98 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 09:36 PM

Norah Jones:

“I’ve heard her, of course. I bought her record and I thought it was great.” She pauses. “It’s sad her life has overshadowed the music. She has a great voice.”

http://entertainment...offset=0&page=1

#99 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 09:59 PM

from timesonline: The top 30 power players under 30

Entertainment
1 Amy Winehouse, 26, singer
All eyes are on Amy — again. She’s got to the top as the car crash we can’t look away from (only Wayne Rooney and Prince William have more digital column inches), but everything rests on her next move. Can she get clean? Will her protégée Dionne Bromfield amount to anything? Will her long-awaited third album bomb? If she can emerge triumphant from her troubles, she will be a force to be reckoned with. Max Clifford says: “Amy will never disappear, she’s too established. If her next record doesn’t work, she should look for a cause to attach herself to.”

http://women.timeson...icle6900887.ece

#100 Winehousedrunk

Winehousedrunk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:41 AM

joanpen1 (2 days ago)

Amy Winehouse is one of the great if not the greatest songstresses of early 21st century. On her current output alone I think she will hold this position for the whole century. Just a smoky wonder of a voice with a country western break , a soprano lilt and a husky lower register -- a rare combination in he the human voice. All this plus the interpretive skills of a great actress put her up there with Judy Garland Billie Holliday Maria Callas and the like.

Edited by Winehousedrunk, 09 January 2010 - 03:44 AM.

#101 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:10 AM

^ Awesome indeed! And true! Love when people get it!

#102 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:35 PM

Reconstructing the structure of the world-wide music scene with Last.fm
http://sixdegrees.hu...active_map.html
Cool that Amy has the biggest circle! Although it only seems to mean she has the most connections in their "similarity" formulas - "If you liked that, then you'll probably like this."

#103 suestev07

suestev07

injured butterfly is so talented, it hurts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 04:01 AM

bagariddum (2 weeks ago)

i am so blessed to be able to have seen this unearthly talent at play.

(comment on the DL version of Valerie)
\"it was as if all the emotions in the universe suddenly were coming out of her mouth.\" --Entertainment Weekly music critic Chris Willman.

"It's open-heart surgery set to music" - Sunday Herald article by Peter Ross Jan 7/07

"Be kinder than necessary...because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." - Anon.

#104 melaniumom

melaniumom

Ya'll look the same, everyone knows your name

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:34 AM

"the truly amazing voice and the person that is.... Amy Winehouse... One of the best voices of our time"

-Jools Holland
Mercury Prize Awards

another heartbreaking performance, as it was so freaking amazing, and it seemed thing were looking up for her.... only for them to get worse.

#105 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:04 PM

“The wonderful thing about the Amy Winehouse record —and don’t take this as a derogatory remark— is that it has the sound of the amateur in it… I’d say punk was the glorification of the amateur.” - Malcolm McLaren

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users