150 replies to this topic

#16 lyricgenius

lyricgenius

To my heart, she carries the key

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:05 AM

"Man amy winehouse is unreal...to me she's cleopatra reincarnated...with a history of hurt and love passionate enough to start and end wars...i dont think she knows how amazing she is..."

That's a great description. That's how I feel.

#17 sarahbol

sarahbol

I died a hundred times.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,736 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:41 PM

^ Wow I really don't remember ever posting or even reading that quote. :lol:

#18 suestev07

suestev07

injured butterfly is so talented, it hurts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 02:02 AM

Youtube postings on Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow:

first poster:

It's normal to cry listening to this woman singing?

(2 months ago)

2nd poster:
don't worry. it's definitely normal
(also cause we are afraid that soon that beautiful poetry will end)
\"it was as if all the emotions in the universe suddenly were coming out of her mouth.\" --Entertainment Weekly music critic Chris Willman.

"It's open-heart surgery set to music" - Sunday Herald article by Peter Ross Jan 7/07

"Be kinder than necessary...because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." - Anon.

#19 lyricgenius

lyricgenius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 02:10 AM

Another good one:

Soon as you hear her songs, all is forgiven.

Posted Image
"Flawed yet fabulous, tormented yet towering"

#20 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 04:17 AM

"the sound of the voice can sweep you away"...Bette

#21 antceleb12

antceleb12

And I'm singing this song for you...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:45 AM

Every time I listen to Amy's music, it makes me appreciate all of the good things I have, because it always reminds me how crappy Amy has/had it. Makes me want to keep a good relationship going for fear of having her heartache.
Posted Image

"Amy is amazing. It's as if Bille Holiday and Dianh Washington had a baby and it was raised by Janice Joplin." - jazzblowin on youtube

#22 lyricgenius

lyricgenius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 06:45 AM

You couldn't help but be astounded by the sheer power of her voice, which seemed to emanate effortlessly from her tiny lungs no matter which jazzy-soul song from latest album Back To Black she was performing.

-from BBC review of Liverpool concert, July 18, 2007
Posted Image

#23 manic_blue

manic_blue

Hey, little rich girl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:55 AM

Youtube postings on Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow:

first poster:

It's normal to cry listening to this woman singing?

2nd poster:
don't worry. it's definitely normal

OMG.. This is exactly how I feel!
Great thread Sue!!!
He's the big affair I cannot forget..only man I think of with regret...Someone To Watch Over Me

#24 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:01 AM

Hope this goes from Bloomberg.com to God's ear!

Amy Winehouse will be returning sometime this year to a pop world transformed by her success.

http://www.bloomberg...rzKY&refer=home

#25 lyricgenius

lyricgenius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:54 AM

Some good reviews of B2B from Amazon.

By The Wolf (uk)

In 'Back to Black' Miss Winehouse gives us something quite precious.
Songs and performances of such enduring quality that our breath is quite
taken away. With a voice poised somewhere between a fine aged bourbon
and a cat about to pounce on it's unassuming prey she produces magical
interpretations of all eleven of these superlative songs.

Her delivery, vocal flexibility, tone and phrasing are all quite extraordinary.
The dark, sometimes wryly amusing, lyrical content transforms the personal
into near-universal territory in one easy sweep.
In 'Love is a Losing Game' she pins down one of the most affecting love songs ever written !

This album is destined for classic status. Top notch production and
musicianship is deftly maintained throughout. A triumph of quality
and content over mere style.

By Missieeff (Hampshire, United Kingdom)

I cannot rave enough about this album - it's the most refreshing thing you will listen to this year. Amy Winehouse takes a traditional music form and makes it her own (with the help of a group of very talented musicians). At first listen you find elements of jazz, reggae and soul and by the second, the incisive lyrics sink in and you realise this is a very modern woman's world. By the time you've listened to it the third time (and become completely addicted) you realise that every story she tells is way older than the style of music it is put to. This album oozes sexiness without losing any of the lyrical genius - this girl deserves to be big. Buy this album and play it a lot!

By E. Mackintosh "lifedrinker" (Wales, UK)

Ignore what people say about Winehouse - drugs, rehab or otherwise, the girl's voice is incredibly clear, soulful and true. You will not be disappointed.

By P. N. Jones "first_addition" (Lincolnshire, UK.)

WOW. Hardly room to criticise anything here at all. The girl's a natural singer, unique writer and plays the gee-tar too. She's obviously a royal, no, make that an imperial pain in the butt in real life but with a microphone she's a very large if idiosyncratic diamond.

By C. B. Baker "cbak12sg"

I had dismissed Amy Winehouse as a silly young woman with tattoos and a beehive hairstyle, always in the press for the wrong reasons. Then I heard the song Rehab, and my jaw dropped when I found out who was singing. At once I realised what the fuss was about. What an extraordinary voice. I would never have guessed that a girl from North London had a vocal talent that wouldn't have been out of place in 1960s Memphis.

On this album, Winehouse's voice soars over arrangements which are a throwback to Motown's glory days, and her lyrics are biting and witty. The whole package comes to a peak on the title track.

I suspect some will compare this to Alanis Morrissette's Jagged Little Pill. I beg to differ. That cacophonous whine is very tough to listen to. Back To Black is an amazingly melodious slice of modern melodrama.

This is a superb album. The reason why it is destined for classic status is because the music is not contemporary. I know it may be an odd comparison, but the theme song for the TV series Red Dwarf is timeless because it was in the style of music written 20 years before.

I just hope that Amy Winehouse can sort out her troubled life, so that she either finds tranquillity, or maybe produces more gems like this.

Posted Image

#26 lyricgenius

lyricgenius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:35 AM

Some more.

By Phillysound2 "a common reader" (London)

I'm so tired of listening to new music that turns out to be a boring pastiche of the past. This is the album that made me wake up. Back to Black is totally addictive in the best way. It flows. It's succinct - short tracks, vinyl record span - and every track is great. I can't stop playing it.

It has a great authentic sound, beautiful vocals, real instruments, top notch backing vocals, gritty real life lyrics, brilliant hooks that don't let you go. The album tracks mix up all the best of 60's soul from Ashford and Simpson Motown to Dusty (in that Amy is a musical fusion too but not a copy-cat), Baby Washington?, with a touch of early '60s Spector and I even hear Sharon Forrester?, Dinah Washington? But this is not a paint by numbers pastiche, it's totally original. This is an artist and a connoiseur at work - it's not manipulative producers pushing young talent aside as is becoming so boringly the case nowadays. Amy is soul, pop, reggae and jazz for the 21st Century; she brilliantly fuses all these genres and becomes unclassable. This IS a modern classic. Treat yourself - buy this and listen over and over.

'Tears Dry On Their Own' is my favourite track and I was glad to see the Ashford and Simpson credit. The thing about this track is it's as good as it's reference - Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell's 'Ain't No Mountain High Enough'. The track is strong in it's own right; it borrows but doesn't steal. This album knocked me out for 10. Shame I can only give it 5 stars.

By Miracle "The Ambiturner" (Dublin, Ireland)

On her debut album "Frank", Amy had already demonstrated her budding genius with tracks like "Stronger Than Me" and the stunning "Take The Box". On "Back To Black" she seizes her place among the immortals with a collection of songs that to my knowledge is unequalled in Pop history. The album is so chock-full of classics that it is hard to know where to start. This is authentic modern London jazzy soul that sounds as good as - if not better than - anything that has ever been produced by Motown or Philly - or anyone.
What distinguishes it from all else in the current music scene is the sheer quality of the songwriting. The only track that is not an instant classic is "Some Unholy War" - a good track, but not a solid gold hit like the other ten numbers here. The album kicks off with the brilliant triumvirate of "Rehab", "You Know I'm No Good" and "Me & Mr Jones". "Love Is A Losing Game" takes the quality through the roof, and is easily the best song of the present millennium; "Tears Dry On Their Own" and "Wake Up Alone" are contemporary pieces of perfection; "He Can Only Hold Her" nails an effortless and unique kind of cool, and contains a startling moment that evokes '80s casualties Musical Youth; and "Addicted" is simply breathtaking - it is almost a shock to find such a masterpiece almost carelessly tagged onto the end of a record. People may baulk at the notion of accepting "Back To Black" as the best Pop-slash-Soul album of all time, but I defy anyone to name one that is better.

By Knight "Maverick2008" (London)

Just seen Amy perform live at Glastonbury and boy is there something special about this woman. Huuuggggeeeee magnestism and charisma with a touch of the Marilyn Monroe tragedy about her, but what a voice. I'm hooked ;-)

By Steven Stewart "Critic Extraordinaire" (steveo.stewart@hotmail.co.uk)

Any bad press this woman has gotten recently doesn't change the fact that she is an incredible singer and a true British icon. This album will put her into the history books as being one of the great masterworks of British music.

By A. Weightman (Suffolk, UK)

This the best record I have heard in years. Amy's voice is so soulful and true. The music is inspired by old fashioned soul, jazz, ska, blues and a bit of pop, but still fresh. The lyrics are gritty, grown up and lived. Despite singing about life as it is, warts an all, the album is truely uplifing because it is so true. This woman is clearly an artist of the highest quality. It is poetry, not only the lyrics but the singing and the music as well, the whole package is perfect. I got the CD from Amazon three days ago and keep playing it over and over again. I cannot imagine I'll ever get tired of it. I can't wait to listen to her first album, which I have just ordered and are hoping for many more albums to come. Don't burn out too quickly Amy, please.

Posted Image

#27 suestev07

suestev07

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:29 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Dave!

And these reviews are before anyone heard the new and improved live version she does of B2B....

It's sooooo nice to be taken to that place again where one first discovered Amy, and those initial feelings of awe!

She deserves all the love, from us... and from the gods, please.....

Edited by suestev07, 23 January 2009 - 04:34 PM.

\"it was as if all the emotions in the universe suddenly were coming out of her mouth.\" --Entertainment Weekly music critic Chris Willman.

"It's open-heart surgery set to music" - Sunday Herald article by Peter Ross Jan 7/07

"Be kinder than necessary...because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." - Anon.

#28 suestev07

suestev07

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 06:57 AM

"Chilling, profound, stunning. She really touches the heart like no other singer I've ever heard."

re Mercury Prize performance of LIALG

Edited by suestev07, 08 February 2009 - 07:01 AM.

#29 amyfanatic

amyfanatic

If I was my heart,I'd rather be restless.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:36 AM

At first listen you find elements of jazz, reggae and soul and by the second, the incisive lyrics sink in and you realise this is a very modern woman's world. By the time you've listened to it the third time (and become completely addicted) you realise that every story she tells is way older than the style of music it is put to. This album oozes sexiness without losing any of the lyrical genius - this girl deserves to be big. Buy this album and play it a lot!

AMAZING...8-/ Such a great description! LOVED how the word sexiness is used. I always thought exactly the same. That the album oozes sexiness without losing any of her lyrical genius.LOL
Posted Image

"I don`t listen to anyone...except my inner child anyway."

Amy.J.Winehouse.

#30 amyfanatic

amyfanatic

If I was my heart,I'd rather be restless.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:37 AM

Double post..

Edited by amyfanatic, 08 February 2009 - 11:57 AM.

Posted Image

"I don`t listen to anyone...except my inner child anyway."

Amy.J.Winehouse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users