150 replies to this topic

#31 suestev07

suestev07

injured butterfly is so talented, it hurts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:11 AM

"Amy is amazing. It's as if Bille Holiday and Dianh Washington had a baby and it was raised by Janice Joplin."

Comment on youtube re her DL lialg

I had to laugh at this...the part about being raised by Janis Joplin
  • Calvinbon likes this
\"it was as if all the emotions in the universe suddenly were coming out of her mouth.\" --Entertainment Weekly music critic Chris Willman.

"It's open-heart surgery set to music" - Sunday Herald article by Peter Ross Jan 7/07

"Be kinder than necessary...because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." - Anon.

#32 antceleb12

antceleb12

And I'm singing this song for you...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:21 AM

"Amy is amazing. It's as if Bille Holiday and Dianh Washington had a baby and it was raised by Janice Joplin."

Comment on youtube re her DL lialg

I had to laugh at this...the part about being raised by Janis Joplin

That's a perfect quote! That's gonna be my new sig!
Posted Image

"Amy is amazing. It's as if Bille Holiday and Dianh Washington had a baby and it was raised by Janice Joplin." - jazzblowin on youtube

#33 suestev07

suestev07

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:34 AM

That's a perfect quote! That's gonna be my new sig!

okay, then you may as well quote the poster; it's " jazzblowin"
\"it was as if all the emotions in the universe suddenly were coming out of her mouth.\" --Entertainment Weekly music critic Chris Willman.

"It's open-heart surgery set to music" - Sunday Herald article by Peter Ross Jan 7/07

"Be kinder than necessary...because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." - Anon.

#34 antceleb12

antceleb12

And I'm singing this song for you...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:35 AM

okay, then you may as well quote the poster; it's " jazzblowin"

Thanks I was about to ask for that! :)
Posted Image

"Amy is amazing. It's as if Bille Holiday and Dianh Washington had a baby and it was raised by Janice Joplin." - jazzblowin on youtube

#35 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:48 AM

It's not the first time this group has worked together -- they were paired up last summer, when Duran Duran tapped Ronson to rework some of their classic tunes for a one-off gig in Paris. They were impressed by his solo album as well as his work on Amy Winehouse's album Back to Black, which keyboardist Nick Rhodes described as a "masterpiece record."

http://spin.com/arti...bum-mark-ronson
It will be interesting to see what Mark does with their music.

#36 Winehousedrunk

Winehousedrunk

The sky above, a blaze that only lovers see..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:26 PM

Some good reviews of B2B from Amazon.

Quote:
By C. B. Baker "cbak12sg"

I suspect some will compare this to Alanis Morrissette's Jagged Little Pill. I beg to differ. That cacophonous whine is very tough to listen to.

There's a lot to agree with in C.B. Baker's review, but I beg to differ with the lines above; Jagged Little Pill was one of my favorite records, and I found it easy to listen to, though admittedly that was in a different period of my life. Alanis then was a great discovery too. Very original, very authentic, very true. Not to be dismissed like so.
Amy Winehouse died, and she's taken a part of my soul with her. May that part be the love that I felt for her, and may the love that I still feel for her be the undying part of us both.

#37 suestev07

suestev07

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:46 PM

There's a lot to agree with in C.B. Baker's review, but I beg to differ with the lines above; Jagged Little Pill was one of my favorite records, and I found it easy to listen to, though admittedly that was in a different period of my life. Alanis then was a great discovery too. Very original, very authentic, very true. Not to be dismissed like so.

Special note to Alan - "another Canadian" hahaha

#38 suestev07

suestev07

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:45 PM

Amy - lialg - RIR, Lisbon

PablitoMC (4 months ago)
pray for her

emufan23 (4 months ago)

I actually did, even though i´m not really a strong believer. It´s strange really, what this woman and her songs do to you.

#39 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:48 PM

I love the acoustic version of Jagged Little Pill - it's awesome. I like the original, too - but I prefer the acoustic. I also think Alanis deserves kudos - she's written some fantastic songs.
"I've got hair like them"

#40 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:23 PM

Not only do I find her wildly attractive for some reason but her voice is a world of it's own.

http://www.mp33pm.co...house-live.html

#41 ayor_90

ayor_90

watch ur tooth don't break

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:38 PM

It´s strange really, what this woman and her songs do to you.

^^ soo true..its like she spins a spell (lol) weneva she opens her mouth 2 sing :)
And when i drop it lyrically
Words evolve generically

#42 Winehousedrunk

Winehousedrunk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:04 AM

"One of my favourite all-time singers is Amy Winehouse, I've been lucky enough to work with her.
"She is an amazing, great talent and despite what all the papers say she is a great role model for people.
"I don't think the drugs and the drink and all that make a scrap of difference, really. I think you should judge people on their talent and on that level she's up there, a major talent."

Paul Weller - Radio 1 Legends show, broadcast 20 Sept. 2007

Edited by Winehousedrunk, 07 May 2009 - 07:32 AM.

Amy Winehouse died, and she's taken a part of my soul with her. May that part be the love that I felt for her, and may the love that I still feel for her be the undying part of us both.

#43 Winehousedrunk

Winehousedrunk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:49 AM

Elton John about Amy's 2007 Shepherds Bush concert:

The Rocket Man singer and his partner David Furnish were disappointed when the Rehab singer canceled a concert at Shepherds Bush Empire in London on March 8 due to "unforeseen circumstances" - but they were finally given their chance to see Winehouse live on Monday night at the same venue.
And John was blown away by the British star's talent. He says, "Amy is an incredible performer. That was one of the most exciting and greatest shows I've seen in many years."

Source: Starpulse.com, June 1st, 2007

#44 sarahbol

sarahbol

I died a hundred times.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,736 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:23 AM

"One of my favourite all-time singers is Amy Winehouse, I've been lucky enough to work with her.
"She is an amazing, great talent and despite what all the papers say she is a great role model for people.
"I don't think the drugs and the drink and all that make a scrap of difference, really. I think you should judge people on their talent and on that level she's up there, a major talent."

Paul Weller - Radio 1 Legends show, broadcast 20 Sept. 2007

That's wonderful to hear.
And I go back to... I go back to us.

Bruised, battered and desparate for a fag she may be, but Amy is our 21st Century Piaf: flawed yet fabulous, tormented yet towering. Think of her this way and hope that the still remarkably young woman under the eyeliner thinks that way too. - Jude Rogers, The Word

#45 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:14 PM

Paul Weller rules! Always has, always will.
"I've got hair like them"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users