150 replies to this topic

#46 suestev07

suestev07

injured butterfly is so talented, it hurts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:31 AM

"And then there is that voice--like Etta James, Billie Holliday, Bettye LaVette, and all The Supremes rolled into one beautiful ear candy confection---chased with a shot of tequila."

D. Hinson, comment on amazon.com

http://www.amazon.co...nDateDescending

"I was blown away by Amy's voice. Not only does she have great power, but also has fantastic control. Some of her vocal acrobatics really are top notch, without being too showy. She can sing an entire lifetime of grief, loss, and desire into one phrase."

Bluzphreak "Larry" comment on same link

Edited by suestev07, 08 May 2009 - 03:37 AM.

\"it was as if all the emotions in the universe suddenly were coming out of her mouth.\" --Entertainment Weekly music critic Chris Willman.

"It's open-heart surgery set to music" - Sunday Herald article by Peter Ross Jan 7/07

"Be kinder than necessary...because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." - Anon.

#47 amyfanatic

amyfanatic

If I was my heart,I'd rather be restless.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:54 PM

"

"I was blown away by Amy's voice. Not only does she have great power, but also has fantastic control. Some of her vocal acrobatics really are top notch, without being too showy. She can sing an entire lifetime of grief, loss, and desire into one phrase."

Bluzphreak "Larry" comment on same link

Like...SO true<3B-)
Posted Image

"I don`t listen to anyone...except my inner child anyway."

Amy.J.Winehouse.

#48 ashlee

ashlee

you're so thick and my patience's thin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:02 PM

"And then there is that voice--like Etta James, Billie Holliday, Bettye LaVette, and all The Supremes rolled into one beautiful ear candy confection---chased with a shot of tequila."

D. Hinson, comment on amazon.com

I really like the "chased with a shot of tequila" part.....it's like a cook's recipie :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
five story fire as you came

#49 Winehousedrunk

Winehousedrunk

The sky above, a blaze that only lovers see..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:01 AM

Not so much to haul up yet another old thread from the deep recesses of the AWF for Old Threads Weekend;-), but because I found these fan-comments on Youtube very refreshing, mainly because they are clearly in defence of Amy, which I always like, and doing a good job of it too. The comments concern the St. Lucia jazz gig. The rest is history, be it that an army of morons has put a lot of effort into trying to falsify it. Since the gig happened, I've always maintained that it wasn't the self-imposed performance disaster that it was made out to be by the press and other media, and I stand by that view still.

The comments:

Melissamart (2 weeks ago)

The sound quality is rather poor but as far as I can hear she's singing quite well, her voice is steady and glowing. This is certainly better than the clips from Hyde Park last year (the Mandela birthday show). And she's *always* been an improviser and a note-bender, that's part of her art, she just doesn't do the sleek´sugar-vocals of someone like Beyonce or Brandy. If you don't know about jazz don't bother to nail her for "loose singing"!

amywinehouse2 (2 weeks ago)

im amys biggest fan ever and ive met her and shes the nicest person you could wish to meet and i think shes really improved since last year shes unique and down to earth and people should respect her for that she isn't like all the other trashy pop stars that put inches of make up on and you never see them with a hair out of place there so fake and amy represents the real people of this world so keep going girl!!!!!!!!! you do amazing

Edited by Winehousedrunk, 08 June 2009 - 01:13 AM.

Amy Winehouse died, and she's taken a part of my soul with her. May that part be the love that I felt for her, and may the love that I still feel for her be the undying part of us both.

#50 Guest_Strawberrie_*

Guest_Strawberrie_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:45 PM

Aw, seriously. Good descriptions..
She has talent, for the first time i heard her.. oh man, my hair stood up and I have never heard a better voice!
^^

#51 erickonasis

erickonasis

Back 2 Black >

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:42 PM

Not so much to haul up yet another old thread from the deep recesses of the AWF for Old Threads Weekend;-)

ha!!
Posted Image

#52 kannyy

kannyy

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:16 PM

Waiting for Amy‘s amazing voice

#53 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:59 PM

Thanks a bunch Amy Winehouse. While you're off sunning yourself in St Lucia, the music industry is still trying to flog us these polished little pop stars carved in your image but lacking in everything that makes you so brill. Take 18-year-old Pixie Lott, a graduate of stage school Italia Conti and the owner of a half decent pair of lungs. She melismas her arse off in this overcooked slab of pseudo-soul about being a bad girl who sneaks out at night. But Lott's attempts to imitate Winehouse's retro sound simply highlights the fact that pretty girls with nice voices are ten a penny, while the, ahem, unhinged talent of Winehouse is a true one-off.
Watch the video to Mama Do

http://www.guardian....ions-crocodiles

#54 suestev07

suestev07

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:27 AM

haha

"if this amazing level of talent comes around again in my lifetime i'll be dipped in dog shit ."

on DL Valerie youtube
\"it was as if all the emotions in the universe suddenly were coming out of her mouth.\" --Entertainment Weekly music critic Chris Willman.

"It's open-heart surgery set to music" - Sunday Herald article by Peter Ross Jan 7/07

"Be kinder than necessary...because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." - Anon.

#55 Winehousedrunk

Winehousedrunk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:56 AM

haha

"if this amazing level of talent comes around again in my lifetime i'll be dipped in dog shit ."

on DL Valerie youtube

But who said that?
Amy Winehouse died, and she's taken a part of my soul with her. May that part be the love that I felt for her, and may the love that I still feel for her be the undying part of us both.

#56 suestev07

suestev07

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:24 AM

But who said that?

bagariddum (2 days ago)

#57 suestev07

suestev07

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 11:14 PM

i don't care what any1 says this sista is beyond these moments in time.. Her spirit is beyond many ppl's simple understanding....

and this song OMG- its 3am and i am crying my ass off, and I am a grown man lol.....

Cheers 2 Amy, Kudos, and encore!!!

"Love You More" -Amy Winehouse
lol

Oshunlife (1 month ago)

LIALG - "Rhodes" version

#58 suestev07

suestev07

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 11:21 PM

another one from:

LIALG - "Rhodes" version

This kind of talent is the reason some religions say that music is reserved for heaven.

torontoyes (2 months ago)

#59 lyricgenius

lyricgenius

To my heart, she carries the key

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:13 AM

From Sue's post above:

i don't care what any1 says this sista is beyond these moments in time...

I like that quote. I've often had exactly that feeling. There's just something transcendent about Amy. Not that she's aware of it at all. She gets all banged up by the "here and now" but something about her is so much bigger than the moment. She's human to a fault but there's a genius and spirit inside her, and a stunning physical beauty (when she's in decent shape) that just lifts her to another plane. For me at least.
Posted Image
"Flawed yet fabulous, tormented yet towering"

#60 Winehousedrunk

Winehousedrunk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:50 PM

Dave, your description of Amy is awesome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users