68 replies to this topic

#16 doughnout peach

doughnout peach

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 11:02 PM

hey, you think you're cleverer than me?:nono: baby it 's only my problems with the language, some things i don't understand in Englishlol

#17 warlog55

warlog55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 12:53 AM

hey, you think you're cleverer than me?:nono:
baby it 's only my problems with the language, some things i don't understand in Englishlol

Although I do think I'm cleverer than most (HAHA), I have alot of Russians and Puerto Ricans in my family..and they have troubles too. The thing I'd never do is look down on them..because those mother effers can say some stuff I have NO IDEA what it means..

haha

#18 Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 01:44 AM

Looks like Amy's using the American vernacular here. Pumps in the UK used to mean canvas shoes something like deck shoes of today so it's another reversal of meaning (a 180?). A girl walking along the pavement in pumps in the UK would be someone in flatties minding their own business on the sidewalk, whereas in the States she would be walking up the middle of the road in heels disrupting traffic lol
But what on earth is a skag? :shrug:

A skag...considering the way she's using in and the genral theme of the song, I reckon its the same thing as a skank. A whore. Haha.

#19 warlog55

warlog55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:25 AM

A skag...considering the way she's using in and the genral theme of the song, I reckon its the same thing as a skank. A whore. Haha.

Yeaah, I think the song is basically about those "Paris" types.

#20 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 01:49 PM

In 'Pumps' Amy actually sings 'sket', which, according to her in an interview means 'a really dirty, pikey girl'. Must be London slang. BTW, as a side note: 'skag' is also slang for heroin - (British slang, as I recall).

#21 doughnout peach

doughnout peach

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:31 PM

warlog???????????? do you still think you are cleverer than me? it's were you at not where you've beenlol:nono::hug:

#22 Little Legs

Little Legs

Kleine Beentjes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,250 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 03:19 PM

But what on earth is a skag? :shrug:

Like Lainey said . . Its sket . . . . found this it might help:

Aren't you from London? A sket is like a dirty, pikey girl. Say you're with your little brother who's 13 and you see a ratty little girl who you know. He'll go "I really like that girl", and you'll go "Please don't go anywhere near her, she's a right sket". She's a girl who's manky. Manky inside.

http://findarticles....118/ai_n9691064

#23 warlog55

warlog55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 03:32 PM

warlog????????????
do you still think you are cleverer than me?
it's were you at not where you've beenlol:nono::hug:

Heyy, you're just a child and I'm full grown....AND I'm like nothing you've ever known

haha

fuckery lol

#24 doughnout peach

doughnout peach

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 01:55 PM

Are you sure? age gives experience only if you have lived too much shit

#25 volcanicsnow

volcanicsnow

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:33 AM

Well maybe if you knew who Roger Moore is...that might help.

He played James Bond in seven Bond movies and I believe the line is "You tear men down.."

so...Bond? Tear men down?

haha ;)

I was just about to post a new topic about this whole Roger Moore thing, glad I gave a lookie around first.

I'm surprised I didn't understand the metaphor....ah well it's one of them days lol. :tongue03:

thanks for the info

#26 holly89

holly89

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:36 PM

In 'Pumps' Amy actually sings 'sket', which, according to her in an interview means 'a really dirty, pikey girl'. Must be London slang.

BTW, as a side note: 'skag' is also slang for heroin - (British slang, as I recall).

Yup ur right both times! Sket is a dirty tarty slutty shity person really! lol and skag and smack are all slang for herion

#27 -Sammy-

-Sammy-

my tears dry on their own

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 05:02 PM

I always thought it was 'You tear men down like rock and roll'

haha omg i thought this too at the beggining lol

im always singing songs wrong whenn i dont know the right lyrics :lol: dont worry i think everyone has done this one time or another lol =]

#28 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 05:15 PM

Roger Moore didn't get it either:
The Bond star is puzzled by the namecheck in new track You Know I'm No Good, because he has no idea what she's singing about. He says, "I've heard the song and I found it a little confusing. "I believe the lyrics are: 'Cause you're my fella, my guy/Hand me your Stella and fly/By the time I'm out the door/You're 10 men down like Roger Moore.' "I've no idea what it means! Answers on a postcard please."
http://www.contactmu...e moore_1040010

#29 Moody's Mood

Moody's Mood

You sent me flying

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 05:30 PM

Lol, if he'd bought the album he would've known the booklet says "you tear men down like Roger Moore" which makes perfect sense.

#30 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 05:48 PM

"ten men down" reminded me of the interview she did at SXSW where she told the interviewer she was 10 margharitas down already...cute

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users