97 replies to this topic

#16 suestev07

suestev07

injured butterfly is so talented, it hurts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:27 PM

Thanks for the update Dave...looking forward to hearing more.

Too bad that that's the pic they showed. Usually the tone of writing follows the "tone" of the photo that sets up the writing. I wonder how this one will turn out.

Alfredo:Interesting...That was probably the setting for the office romance story in "You Sent Me Flying."

and "Amy, Amy, Amy" ?

#17 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 04:16 PM

I'm reading it too, and for the most part it's a cut and paste job; big time. However, there are a few interviews that are interesting and I am definitely more enlightened as to how Amy's career began; her songwriting process and the recording of Frank, which the writer goes into in great detail.

Apart from the new information I learned, the bonus is that there are quite a few photos I had never seen before and it only cost $12.00! Sue, he didn't actually include the 'red bra and jeans' picture you referred to - he just mentioned the incident.

Like Dave, I'll give it an overall grade when I'm done.

#18 volcanicsnow

volcanicsnow

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:52 AM

I came so close to buying both the Amy books today. I stopped myself, waiting to hear the reviews about it. I want to know that what I'm reading in the book is true and not gossip. Although if what they publish isn't true can't they be sued for defamation of character??? :thinking:

#19 suestev07

suestev07

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 02:23 PM

(Sue, he didn't actually include the 'red bra and jeans' picture you referred to - he just mentioned the incident).

Like Dave, I'll give it an overall grade when I'm done.

Thanks for the update and clarification. I definitely misinterpreted.

#20 Dani624

Dani624

Fever 103

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:19 PM

I actualy saw a pic of her with the book in her hand. The article said she was upset about it. I forgot where I saw it.

#21 malaroda

malaroda

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:21 PM

Yeah, I think there were several different articles, some said she bought it, some that she just looked at it and put it back...

#22 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:33 PM

Update:

I finished the biography, and it was really just OK. The first half (which I mentioned a few posts above) was much better than the 2nd, which was basically a rehash of interviews with Amy and others (Mitch, for example), as well as some concert reviews, an analysis of the success of B2B and, of course, the drama in Amy's life over the last year or so. The good thing was that it was not sensationalistic, really - it just kind of gave a matter-of-fact overview of her somewhat chaotic life of late.

He did source tabloid articles (and we all know what we think of those!) but balanced it with credible ones, too.

For real Amy fans, it's mostly stuff we know already. Overall, the writer was not judgemental in any way, and as I mentioned before, I give him credit for using good photos of Amy (quite a few of which I had never seen before), and staying away from the ones that portray her in a negative light. The book definitely suffers for only interviewing 4 or 5 people - but overall, it's not too bad.

It will be interesting to see what the other biography is like (Due out in April - by some guy called Chas Newkey-Burden). Hopefully, it will have some new info/ interviews with others.

#23 malaroda

malaroda

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:42 PM

Thanks for review... :)

#24 suestev07

suestev07

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 12:35 AM

Thanks for this Lainey...much appreciated.

btw, what is her songwriting process (which you mentioned further above)?

#25 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:56 PM

You're welcome, Sue. The author interviews one of Amy's first collaborators, Stefan Skarbek, who along with Matt Rowe and Amy wrote October Song and Amy Amy Amy - it sounds like they all had fun in the studio, and didn't get much work done! The book also talks a little bit about when she began to collaborate with Salaam Remi, and how she wrote the other songs on Frank. So, it's not really about Amy's songwriting process as such - more about her experience with her Frank co-writers.

#26 suestev07

suestev07

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:48 AM

Thanks Lainey. Much appreciated.

#27 Tara

Tara

This Bird Has Flown...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:57 AM

Thanks for the info on the Johnstone book, I have a voucher to spend so may get it! I can understand Amy feeling upset that someone else is telling her story, but at least it sounds quite respectful and non-judgemental.

#28 suestev07

suestev07

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:23 PM

I can understand Amy feeling upset that someone else is telling her story, but at least it sounds quite respectful and non-judgemental.

I don't think we can believe that she was upset...

#29 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:30 PM

I don't think we can believe that she was upset...

The day she was photographed looking at the book, there was another pic of her leaving the store with a book that was the same size but without a dust jacket. So she probably bought a copy.

#30 suestev07

suestev07

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:35 PM

The day she was photographed looking at the book, there was another pic of her leaving the store with a book that was the same size but without a dust jacket. So she probably bought a copy.

Thanks Alan.
Yes, but does that mean she was upset?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: amy winehouse, biography

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users