Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:20 PM

Here's a quote from the author of the 2nd Amy bio that's coming out next week:

Chasing Amy

While her life is now beyond parody, there's no doubt that she's a biographer's dream. And author Chas Newkey-Burden - who has written Paris Hilton's biography - is unashamedly delighted by every new twist in Amy Winehouse's life.

"When Amy's life takes a turn for the worse I'm more than pleased - I'm absolutely jubilant," Newkey-Burden tells me. "Both in terms of the writing process and potential sales, biographies thrive on controversy and drama, so the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned. That said, as I outline in the book, Amy is far more 'with it' and in control than she lets on. A lot of the 'madness' is engineered for publicity."

However Newkey-Burden, whose book is to be published in April, admits that Winehouse's hectic lifestyle is a mixed blessing. "It's a challenge. No sooner did I think I'd finished and we could go to press, than another drama would erupt. I'd go through the news each morning like a worried parent, saying: 'Oh, Amy! What have you done now?' "

Like a worried parent? I don't think so. 'More than pleased and absolutely jubilant' when her life takes a turn for the worse'? Nice. From the tone of this article, I won't be buying this book.
  • barbarakn60 likes this

#32 suestev07

suestev07

injured butterfly is so talented, it hurts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:28 PM

Thanks again, Lainey.

"That said, as I outline in the book, Amy is far more 'with it' and in control than she lets on. A lot of the 'madness' is engineered for publicity."

I wonder. I think we all wonder about this part.

I don't think the "drama/madness" is engineered.

Perhaps some minor things are "engineered for publicity", but I think it's not a put on, it's just an offshoot of her own actual personality, and then just sort of left there for publicity to latch onto, or not.

What I mean is, she doesn't seem to go out of her way to "hide" certain things. Is that "engineered publicity", or just an authentic part of her personality?

She may be "in control" but "in control" according to her perception of reality may not be "in control" to others.[/i]

#33 black

black

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 02:01 AM

I sometimes wonder about that too. It is a common assertion among journalists (serious as well as the gutter press) that Amy contrives many of her personal woes for publicity. I'm sceptical of this because I'm not sure what her motivation would be; it's not as if her music needs any indirect promotion and she doesn't seem to exactly enjoy being pestered by the paps these days. Part of her self esteem issues maybe?

#34 lyricgenius

lyricgenius

To my heart, she carries the key

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 02:13 AM

I've never gotten the impression that Amy does things for publicity. I don't believe she thinks that way at all. Amy's a very humble person, maybe too humble for her own good.

I think she is an "accident-prone" person and sometimes makes bad decisions in her personal life, and some people interpret that as publicity-seeking. But really, she is just being Amy.

#35 suestev07

suestev07

injured butterfly is so talented, it hurts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:56 PM

Thanks Chris and Dave for your input. I'm glad to hear other points of view. I thought this was going to be a "thread Killer":lol:

I was thinking that maybe the PM has it right - she is "just misunderstood".

Of course, I guess we can't help but remember that old interview where she said something about if people think she's a nutter and look for her album, then that's good.(I hope I got that right, more or less).

But I do think she said that when she wasn't as well known and was a lot more naive about papps, etc.

#36 Jayne

Jayne

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 02:48 PM

I wonder as well wether Amy courts the press, especially lately, the pictures the other day when she went out in a sleeveless top with those cuts up her arms, she knew by going out like this that she would be photographed and the stiory the next day would be about the marks up her arms, why didn't she just cover up, put a coat on then we would be non the wiser?

Perhaps she just doesn't care what the press or anyone else thinks, who knows but I am sure that most the stories lately could have been avoided if it Amy chose to.

#37 sarahbol

sarahbol

I died a hundred times.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,736 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 03:16 PM

She either just doesn't care, or it's a bit of a cry for help, she wants people to know she's not ok.
I'm not gonna spend 10 weeks/Have everyone think I'm on the mend.

#38 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 03:19 PM

I agree with you Jayne. I've often wondered myself if Amy does cultivate this a bit herself. The author of the 2nd bio sounds like those records execs at Universal who refered to Amy's troubles as marketing opportunities. I'll check it out of the library and save myself some $$ for the new dvd and Frank box!!

#39 Mike from NY

Mike from NY

My alcoholic logic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 03:23 PM

I don't think that Amy plays up the image at all. You can clearly see this is somebody going through some stuff and her music is her way of exorcising those demons. The execs at Universal though being the capitalists they are will exploit it.

#40 Guest_blakmamba76_*

Guest_blakmamba76_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2008 - 05:17 PM

Posted Image
Written by Jordan Richardson
Published March 27, 2008

Writing an unauthorized biography is always a risk, but the prospect becomes even riskier when the subject of that biography is somebody as volatile as Amy Winehouse. With many of the “sources” for information pertaining to the young woman coming out of tabloids and paparazzi press, the veracity of any such biography as written without the consent and participation of the subject is usually questionable.

Amy, Amy, Amy: The Amy Winehouse Story by Nick Johnstone is one such unauthorized biography. Johnstone’s book is out on Omnibus Press and is the first biography about Winehouse to be released. It chronicles her career in almost excruciating detail at times, detailing her early bouts with depression and her first gigs with the National Youth Jazz Orchestra right up until present day with drunken television appearances and the rise of her album Back to Black.

Johnstone writes the biography well enough, but often over-describes elements that will likely appeal to only the most dedicated Winehouse fanatic. For instance, when he discusses Sylvia Young Theatre School, where Amy attended, he describes how much the fees are for students of various ages to attend there. While this bit of insight might seem compelling to some, for the most part it feels like Johnstone is trying to fill up space due to his having little actual source material.

The book is very simplistic and relies on the cut-and-paste approach. Johnstone uses various sources, including many tabloid sources, to piece together a narrative of Winehouse’s life and career. The results are often highly speculative and presumptuous.

The few interviews Johnstone does get seem to linger and drag out on minutiae, detailing — from the backup singer or a drummer (Troy Genius) who didn’t even meet Winehouse — the recording of Frank. Other interviews are more interesting, such as the four-page interview with Major, a producer who worked with Winehouse early on with some demos. Still, the interview with Major often gets bogged down with tangential details - and an extensive bio on the producer of early Winehouse demos isn’t exactly pertinent or compelling.

Highlights, however, can be found in the early chapters related to the recording of her first album and the fun Winehouse seemed to have making early demos. The information is often tarnished by obscure statements and incidentals, however, which caused a lot of the information to lose impact.

http://blogcritics.o...3/27/063317.php

#41 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 05:22 PM

Thanks Tam - might want to merge this with Amy biography thread, as there's been a lot of discussion about this book already (Dave and I 'reviewed' it, too).

just a thought!

#42 Guest_blakmamba76_*

Guest_blakmamba76_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2008 - 05:24 PM

Never seen that thread! I'm sure M. will stop by perhaps she obligely merge.

#43 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 05:26 PM

Yeah - it's kind of an ongoing thread, and I'm sure that the 'other' bio, which sounds a bit more tabloid-ish will make an appearance in there, too. I'm not sure if I want to read that one - I've had quite enough of the tabs - haven't we all???

anyway - it's good to have an 'official' review - as I hadn't seen one yet!

#44 Guest_blakmamba76_*

Guest_blakmamba76_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2008 - 05:32 PM

I just found the other thread, I knew there was one the other book which will be out soon too, no?

#45 Moody's Mood

Moody's Mood

You sent me flying

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 05:34 PM

Merging. Cos that's what I do best.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: amy winehouse, biography

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users