• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#91 juniour

juniour

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:24 PM

There 2 AMy Docs coming out, caught a glimpse on hmv.com, i bet in amazon too. As i can't post links yet for being a newbie. These are the two titles :

Amy Winehouse - A last Goodbye - release date 12/09/2011

Amy Winehouse - Love me tomorrow - release date 12/09/11
~~~I Go Back to Black~~~
http://www.facebook.com/JuniourGoh

#92 Jayne

Jayne

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:36 PM

Found this about ​ Amy Winehouse - A Last Goodbye:

Synopsis
'A Last Goodbye' is an intimate look into the life and times of Amy Winehouse.

This in depth programme chronicles her rise to pop superstardom and also offers a sensitive portrayal of a transformative star and the inner demons that inspired her work and eventually caused her untimely death. Her battle with addiction and her courtship with self destruction were well documented through the press. Even her troubled relationship with Blake Fielder-Civil was played out in front of British media.

But despite this backdrop Amy Winehouse will be remembered for her unique song writing style fusing R & B, soul and jazz influences sang through a powerful deep contralto vocal. The 'Back to Black' album symbolised her huge success at this time which led to an astonishing 5 Grammy Awards, 'the most wins by a female artist in a single night'.

This insightful programme is a definitive testimonial to an incredible music icon covering the start of her career up until her death. Amy Winehouse (14/09/1983 to 23/07/2011).

http://www.blahdvd.c...05D/product.htm
Jayne, proud to be a member of Amy Winehouse Forum since Jul 2007.

#93 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:41 PM

that sounds good. may pre-order for christmas present. : )

#94 tunisianswife

tunisianswife

Susan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 12:28 AM

I wonder if you can watch those documentaries on Amazon's 'on demand'. I really like that. saw 'the girl done good' by just watching it on amazon. it's inexpensive too. thanks for the post.
:'-(She was the DiVinci of my music world!

#95 roy

roy

Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 07:40 PM

Which book do you find the best? I want to buy a book about Amy, but I don't know, which is really good. I think that is not easy to write something good in short time after dead of Amy, so new books probably aren't good. But maybe there are only new versions of old books? Please, help me!

#96 Tara

Tara

This Bird Has Flown...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:13 AM

So far I would say the Johnstone book (Amy, Amy, Amy) is best, though 4 years out of date. Personally, I don't like Chas Newkey-Burden as a writer so I wouldn't recommend his biographies.

I have to say that so far, there isn't a book on Amy that I whole-heartedly love. They're all a bit tabloid, a bit cut-and-paste.

I'm really hoping that a more creative writer will eventually tackle her life and career. Someone who really understands where Amy was coming from, personally and musically.

My hopes are on Lucy O'Brien who wrote a great book called She Bop about women in music, as well as excellent biographies of Dusty Springfield and Madonna. And she clearly has an appreciation for Amy...

http://lucyobrienblo...-winehouse.html

All this somehow got fused with a dream about Amy Winehouse. While we were on holiday I heard about her death. It felt strange being at one remove, away from England, receiving such sad news. Her death was inevitable, but it was still shocking. Such a waste, such huge talent and potential just wiped out. Gone. The world feels a little less without her in it. On an elemental level, the volcano symbolised the fire and passion of her music, her voice and her life force. And the immovable presence of the solidified black lava and the black ash on the streets symbolised her death. I was brought up a Catholic, and I remember as a child the priest daubing a black ash cross on my forehead on the Ash Wednesday before Easter...black ash here, in Italy, echoed my feelings about her death. Back to Black. May she rest in peace.
Posted Image

'Memories mar my mind, love is a fate resigned'

#97 crol

crol

i'm not ashamed, but the guilt will kill you

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:27 AM

Daphne Barak's book, while deplorable in nature and poorly written, is the most revealing as she spent so much time with Mitch, Janis and Amy herself, at a time when Amy was totally out of the public eye and first coming off drugs (late 2008). A very easy read too - got through it in a few hours.

#98 Tara

Tara

This Bird Has Flown...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:43 PM

Daphne Barak's book, while deplorable in nature and poorly written, is the most revealing as she spent so much time with Mitch, Janis and Amy herself, at a time when Amy was totally out of the public eye and first coming off drugs (late 2008). A very easy read too - got through it in a few hours.

I haven't read Daphne Barak's book but I saw the documentary My Daughter Amy, I think she was partly involved with that too. That was also rather revealing, perhaps too much so. I think it is key to find someone who Amy's friends, family and colleagues will trust. I suppose Mitch thought he had found that person in Daphne Barak but probably soon realised how wrong he was. I think she was just looking for scandal and sure enough she found it.
Posted Image

'Memories mar my mind, love is a fate resigned'

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: amy winehouse, biography

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users