#46 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:12 PM

Yes, Kev - ummmmmm............. :???: Are we back to where we started? :lol:

I can't believe the person who came up with the heroin/ black metaphor - talk about stretching it! Isn't there also a 'black' form of MJ? That could explain the whole 'pipe' thing once again - hmmmmmmm

*starts to lose mind*

#47 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:18 PM

well, they broke up-right? they didn't share the same likes, drugs wise..."you love blow I love puff". and now, her life is reduced to her pot pipe, and she's become one with the flow of a bit of pot vapor as it rolls up the pipe's walls.

Been there!!!!

By god, i think i've got it!!!!!!!

#48 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:25 PM

Yeah, but what about the damn penny??? Is she the penny mixed in with the smoke? I still think it's a metaphor, but I'm more confused now than I was before!

#49 Josh

Josh

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:28 PM

So, you're the expert when it comes to pipes? :)

Nah, I just have mastered the terminology (not in English though). :tongue03:

#50 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:32 PM

"the symbolic meaning of the penny deals with bright ideas, fresh perspectives, and incorporating these new thoughts with our existing framework. By combining the old with the new we find our lives expanded and new directions to our path."

tiny penny...little bit of weed, keeps you in your head with thoughts, ideas,....

maybe?

#51 lyricgenius

lyricgenius

To my heart, she carries the key

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 12:12 AM

"a penny rolling up the wall..." --> I remember reading somewhere that this is an expression used in the drug world, but I don't recall what it means. I will see if I can find it.

"this me, yeah baby, and the rest" --> I think it means "Then I said, yeah baby I'm depressed, along with all my other problems"

"longer than frozen turkey" --> I didn't understand it at first, but now I think it's a great line.

#52 lnz

lnz

I'll buy the Rizla

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 12:24 AM

Haha!! She's obviously not always direct.. Saying she only holds a bloke's hand to get the angle right is really direct, and the pipe thing is really indirect. She balances both approaches very well and keeps things interesting by doing so imo.

Actually I don't really get what that "angle" line means!

Please explain it to me...?

#53 lyricgenius

lyricgenius

To my heart, she carries the key

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 12:43 AM

The "angle" line means that she only holds the guy's hand so they can pose at the right angle for the camera.

#54 crol

crol

i'm not ashamed, but the guilt will kill you

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 12:59 AM

am i the only one who took the "angle" line in an explicitly sexual way??? geez this is embarrasing...

#55 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:01 AM

^ crol - I definitely agree with you on the 'angle' line, and I think a few others feel the same - we've talked about it in other threads, as I remember

#56 crol

crol

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:06 AM

lol the only time she holds his hand is to 'hit the spot' so to speak...

#57 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:08 AM

wellllll................... ;)

#58 crol

crol

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:08 AM

k good im not alone/crazy

#59 ILLEGALL

ILLEGALL

ergo sum of illuminati

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:15 AM

oh no, its clearly about 'the sex' lol

#60 Alfredo_t

Alfredo_t

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:22 AM

"This me, yeah baby, and the rest."
I once saw a Spanish translation of the Rehab lyrics that had an interesting and, in my opinion, likely correct interpretation of this lyric. The translation says that the counselor at the rehab center tells Amy, "I think that you're just depressed" and then adds, "this is what I and everybody else here think." In other words, he's saying that the other counselors and therapists at the rehab center agree with his diagnosis.

"life is like a pipe, and I'm a tiny penny rolling up the walls inside..."
When I first heard this lyric, I pictured a horizontal section of pipe with an open end. Somebody then takes a penny and holds it up against the inside wall of the pipe about halfway up and releases it. Gravity causes the penny to roll, like a unicycle wheel,toward the low point of the pipe, then slightly up the other side and back. The penny is going to keep rolling this way for a while but eventually, it is bound to fall on one of its faces. This is probably the way that Amy feels: at first, things are going great but very predictably, some disaster happens (the penny falling).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users