Dani624

Fever 103

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 12:42 PM

And what is "likkle" as in "you notice likkle carpet burn"

is that just British for little?

I always thought it was you notice a little carpet burn. Meaning she was having sex with someone else on the floor and he saw it knowing it didn't happen from sex with him. That actually happened to a friend of mine.

#92 crol

crol

i'm not ashamed, but the guilt will kill you

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:16 PM

for you i was a flame... five story fire as you came
shes saying that she was his flame, but when she was having sex with him it was so passionate that she wasnt just a flame, she was a five story fire (ie a fire thats consumed five stories of a building)

i tread a troubled track, my odds are stacked
means shes heading along a dangerous path (ie path of self destruction, as the tabs so often call it) and all the odds are against her (to survive going back to black i guess) like shes going to sink back into depression and odds are she wont make it thru this time. apart from unholy war this is def the darkest song on the album

#93 suestev07

suestev07

injured butterfly is so talented, it hurts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:32 PM

For those who may not know the English slang - the word "come" is to orgasm, so "came" - having had an orgasm

#94 crol

crol

i'm not ashamed, but the guilt will kill you

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:47 PM

For those who may not know the English slang - the word "come" is to orgasm, so "came" - having had an orgasm

haha i wanted 2 mention that but wasnt sure if i should... thanks 4 doing it 4 me!

#95 Mimi

Mimi

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:00 PM

I always thought it was you notice a little carpet burn. Meaning she was having sex with someone else on the floor and he saw it knowing it didn't happen from sex with him. That actually happened to a friend of mine.

I thought the same!

While we are about the meaning of lyrics..Can someone explain
'With his same old safe bet' from Back to Black?

I think it's amazing that everyone can understand what she actually wants to say in a song and that you can feel the emotions. You know where the song is about, but you can give your own interpretation to some words and sentences at itselves.

Hope you can understand what I mean, oh my English is shitty

#96 malaroda

malaroda

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:13 PM

"His same, old safe bet" --> He chose his old girlfriend

For everyone wondering about "Me and Mr. Jones", I found this in Amy articles: http://www.amywineho...ead.php?tid=419

#97 sarahbol

sarahbol

I died a hundred times.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,736 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 04:10 PM

Thanks Kev and crol.
I do know what the "as you came" meant but didn't understand five story fire. Got it now. :)

#98 Dani624

Dani624

Fever 103

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 06:46 PM

"His same, old safe bet" --> He chose his old girlfriend

For everyone wondering about "Me and Mr. Jones", I found this in Amy articles: http://www.amywineho...ead.php?tid=419

Aww man I never read that interview before. Awesome. Amy is the best man.

#99 kittengirl1000

kittengirl1000

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:33 PM

What is puff? There's that line in Back To Black where she sings you love blow and I love puff. Is it cannabis?

#100 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:38 PM

Yes it is.

#101 fifteen

fifteen

Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 11:47 PM

I'm sort of late but I'd like to put my thoughts on the "This me, yeah baby..." line in Rehab.

First, I think she's saying "Kiss me" not "This me." And here's what I think the story behind Rehab line is:

"The man" (her dad) asks her why she is going down. (Why you think you here?) She tells him how hard life's been and that's why she depends on alcohol. (I'm gonna lose my baby, so I always keep a bottle near.) Her dad tells her she is most likely depressed, tells her to rest so he can sort it all out for her (by advising her go to rehab, anyone?), and requests a good night kiss. (Kiss me, yeah baby and go rest.)

The chorus goes and then the storyline continues. She interrupts her dad and tells him he does not truly know what is going on in her mind. "(It's not just my pride.) She wants him to know it's not that big of deal and she can move on, thus the reason she refuses rehab. (It's just 'till these tears have dried.)

____

I'm not sure if this makes sense to anyone else but it was pretty clear to me. The song is about the refusal to go to Rehab and I think it doesn't make sense that she just suddenly talks about having Blake take her or something like that.

Also, I don't get how "a likkle carpet burns" can refer to her having sex near a fireplace. That just seems to come out of nowhere.

Came/come slang is also commonly known to basically all English speaking countries, but thanks for notice. In "Love Is A Losing Game," I always assumed Amy is saying she felt like a five story fire near the person, but now she is small again, and so calls love a losing game.

#102 malaroda

malaroda

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 12:51 PM

I think that part in Rehab is when she actually went into rehab place and told the guy there she's drinking cause she just got out of a relationship, she was in there for about 15 minutes and walked out. She talked about it in the interviews.

#103 sarahbol

sarahbol

I died a hundred times.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,736 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 04:28 PM

^ True.
And it does sound like "this me" to me actually.

#104 Josh

Josh

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 04:30 PM

What is puff? There's that line in Back To Black where she sings you love blow and I love puff. Is it cannabis?

Blow is cocaine, puff is Mary Jane.

#105 brando

brando

Ain't no sunshine when she's gone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 05:58 PM

i'm staying with ''this me'' too..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users