35 replies to this topic

#1 antceleb12

antceleb12

And I'm singing this song for you...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 06:09 PM

Where/when/how did you find out about Amy and what got your attention?

For me as an American, it was in a Best Buy circular advertising the release of "Back to Black." It talked about her "return" (even though "Frank" had not been released in the States), and of her powerful, soulful, deep voice. I also vaguely recall a screenshot from Amy's "Rehab" video when she was sitting on the steps.
  • GalenBam, larahd4, KeganMi and 6 others like this
Posted Image

"Amy is amazing. It's as if Bille Holiday and Dianh Washington had a baby and it was raised by Janice Joplin." - jazzblowin on youtube

#2 malaroda

malaroda

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 06:18 PM

When Rehab came out, the radio I'm listening to was playing it all the time, and it was their number one hit for 2006. So, when after hearing it every day for couple of months, at least once a day, I didn't get bored with the song, I got the album and it was the first time I absolutely loved the entire album after first listening...

Edited by malaroda, 16 November 2008 - 06:38 PM.

• jackhp1, lesterki4, RonaldMi and 2 others like this
Posted Image
Even when I'm a mess, I still put on a vest with an S on my chest, oh yes, I'm a Superwoman!

#3 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 08:57 PM

B2B entered Billboard at #7, a neighbor asked me if I had it and I said no so he burned it. I was hooked and have been ever since. Everyone I know got a copy of it from Amazon courtsey of moi, I felt compelled to share Amy with the world!!
  • RonaldMi, AlexBam and ThomasKago like this

#4 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 09:02 PM

I clicked on this link on Friday April 27, 2007:
http://firedoglake.c...te-fdl-valerie/

#5 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 09:09 PM

I clicked on this link on Friday April 27, 2007:
http://firedoglake.c...te-fdl-valerie/

coal. I love this version of Valerie. wish i could find a recording of it!

#6 sans_amour

sans_amour

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 09:40 PM

Around the end of last year/beginning of this year I'd heard "Rehab" a few times and wasn't very impressed with it, I honestly didn't like it that much in the beginning. Then I googled her Grammy performance because I missed it, and realized how amazing she was... Now I am hooked. :D
  • RonaldMi and ThomasKago like this

#7 stimuland

stimuland

I'm talking 'bout my new guitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:02 PM

December 02, 2006...

I'm a big fan of The Roots and subscribe to drummer ?uestlove's myspace blog. he was touring in Europe at the time and happened to pick up "Back To Black" while in London. he fell in love with the album immediately, listened to it 15 times in a row and raved about how great it was on his blog. he also embedded the music video for "Rehab." That's the first time I ever heard/saw Amy. I have to say... I was pretty confused at first. Hearing that voice coming out of her was just strange...

It wasn't until a few hours later that I realized how great the song was. I was driving in my car and Rehab started playing in my mind. I NEEDED to go back home to listen to the song again.

I ordered the CD off Amazon.uk a few weeks later and have been in love with Amy ever since.

here's a link to that specific blog:
http://blog.myspace....2&blogYear=2006

#8 lnz

lnz

I'll buy the Rizla

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:06 PM

Oh man I remember like it was yesterday...

I was laying on the couch watching MTV and a show had just ended and you know how they play Music vids while they scroll the credits? Well it was Rehab....and I shot right up off the couch and my mouth dropped to the floor and I was like WHO is this???!!!

I didn't get obsessed until I got Frank though...
"Well-behaved women seldom make history" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

#9 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:24 PM

December 02, 2006...

I'm a big fan of The Roots and subscribe to drummer ?uestlove's myspace blog.

here's a link to that specific blog:
http://blog.myspace....2&blogYear=2006

Wow! What an awesome endorsement! And just days after the album was released!
There was a nice pic of him with Amy and Jill Scott, which I lost. Anyone have a copy?

#10 stimuland

stimuland

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:25 PM

There was a nice pic of him with Amy and Jill Scott, which I lost. Anyone have a copy?

is this it??

http://a287.ac-image...3b1b3c6d4ee.jpg

#11 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:38 PM

^ Yes! Thanks! Do you know when/where that was?

#12 stimuland

stimuland

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:48 PM

^ Yes! Thanks! Do you know when/where that was?

this was taken backstage at Black Lily 2007 in Philadelphia... there's an interesting story behind this actually. ?uest wrote about it on the okayplayer boards... I saved it because it was so good haha. check it out:

"that crazy person that be in the press....ive never met that jawn.

matter of fact....this is who i met.

it was black lily day in philly and my computer was in the shop at springboard and i just landed in philly from an atl gig. it was sunday afternoon round 12ish and i double parked to get my jawn out the shop on walnut.

thing was cop made me move and parking was 2 blocks away on locust.

i parked.

got coins.

walked past cvs

walked past brownstones

green light

cross street

bar on corner

deli

laundrymat

amy folding clothes at drier

gas station

turn corner

pre scho---

THE HELL??!?!!?

*turns back....

"aim?.......the hell you doing here?"

i looked and noone was around. security nada....nothing. just her and them damn ballet shoes.

i was weirded out cause in the world of "entertainer acting like joe shmooe" i thought i had that shit on lockdown.

i mean EVERY singer i know got a latch who pack they clothes and irons and all the shit i do normally. so that shocked the shit outta me.

i told her about black lily and i offered her a lift.

she said she'd walk there.

i was like you are amy winehouse walking in the murder capital of the USA ill lift you.

she said "nonsense gimme address"

which of course i just knew was the brushoff.

---sho nuff...

she walked to lily!!!!!!

and performed!!"

:D

here's another photo from that night:
http://a67.ac-images...b9d1445760a.jpg

Edited by stimuland, 16 November 2008 - 10:50 PM.

#13 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 11:09 PM

^ Beautiful story! Awesome picture! Thanks! Kinda creepy avatar btw.

#14 Moody's Mood

Moody's Mood

You sent me flying

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 11:21 PM

I found out about her in the VIP section of a hiphop forum where everyone secretly shares music (in our defense: if we like it, we buy it). It was on the 5th of December, 2006. I didn't check that forum out that often, but I was bored that day so I skimmed the first page, skimmed it again and then decided to click on "Amy Winehouse - Back To Black". I asked someone who she was and got a link to her myspace page. Stronger Than Me started playing as soon as I entered and it was a jaw dropping moment. Quickly listened to the other songs, downed BTB, went to bed, put it on.. and I just couldn't believe it! I kept waiting for the bad songs that almost every album seems to have, but they never came. I stayed up way too late listening to the album, asked someone to sent Frank to me the next morning, listened to that and then basically rushed to Amsterdam to get the albums. Been hooked ever since.
What is your greatest fear?
Amy: "Dying old or never meeting Tony Bennett; if I never get to meet him, I might as well be dead."

#15 Rockesquirrel

Rockesquirrel

I'm cuddly, bitch! Deal with it!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 11:29 PM

My brother lent me a CD from "B2B", only liked 3 songs. When he burned "Frank", for me, I was hooked on Winehouse as a singer.
?uestlove is one fine mofo.
In this life, we each create our own heaven and hell. (Conversation overhead on the bus)

- 8-/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users