35 replies to this topic

#31 Rockesquirrel

Rockesquirrel

I'm cuddly, bitch! Deal with it!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:51 PM

Ugh. It was terrible! And the whole "they tried to make me go to rehab and I said YES YES YES..." UGH... I had to school a few people on her because they thought she was nothing more than just some catchy tone writing human cartoon. I started to resent Rehab so much. I can only listen to the demo, now.

Unfortunately, that's what she's known for, is that song, "Rehab". I think it's hubris and it's kind of a barometer for her. It took a long time for Winehouse to develop her habit, it's going to take time to obtain sobriety.
  • GalenBam, larahd4, barbarakn60 and 4 others like this
In this life, we each create our own heaven and hell. (Conversation overhead on the bus)

- 8-/

#32 kittengirl1000

kittengirl1000

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:21 PM

I heard of her name before the Back To Black period but didn't know who she was. When I first heard Rehab back in 2006 I didn't really like it.
  • barbarakn60, AlexBam and ThomasKago like this

#33 antceleb12

antceleb12

And I'm singing this song for you...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:46 PM

Yeah I don't know where, but when I had heard about "Back to Black's" release, I knew I knew that name (Amy Winehouse, of course) from somewhere. To this day I still don't know!
  • ThomasKago likes this
Posted Image

"Amy is amazing. It's as if Bille Holiday and Dianh Washington had a baby and it was raised by Janice Joplin." - jazzblowin on youtube

#34 LRock10288

LRock10288

You Got To Call The Green Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:26 AM

I've been a lurker for about a year, but never posted nor registered. This may seem strange to introduce myself to the forum in such an old thread, but I came across it and it actually inspired me to register. Not to mention, I thought it would be a rather appropriate first post :)

It was in April of 2007 (I believe), and I was watching Jay Leno with my mother and getting ready to go to bed, as I did every night. Amy was announced as the musical guest, and at that point I had never heard of her. The camera panned to the stage, and I can still remember this as clear as day, I was enamored. I've always been fascinated by the 50's/60's vibe, and am something of a retro gal myself. I remember saying "I love that dress! I love those shoes! I love the hair! Oh, she has a lip ring like me!"...then came that voice. I was physically stunned. Both mine, and my mother's jaws dropped. I couldn't believe it was coming from this girl I was looking at on the stage. From that day on, I was hooked, and owning Back to Black was the first thing on my agenda when I got home from work the following evening. The rest is history :)

Since her passing, I've found the video of that performance, and watched it several times. It is the one piece of footage that will never fail to warm my heart and put a smile on my face.
  • ThomasKago likes this

#35 willxy

willxy

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:51 AM

Welcome to the forums lrock :)

As for me, My Polish mate from uni came to my halls almost 4 years ago and started playing Amy on my PC :) Next thing I know, I had every song of Amy that I could find on a loop :D

#36 tselekoglu

tselekoglu

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:14 AM

I first heard Amy in a Turkish music channel, Dream TV. I remember like it was yesterday! I was 5th grade (I was 12 year-old boy) when I first listened Rehab in Dream TV. I didn't know the name of song. I thought, it was "No, No, No". And I couldn't understand anything but I just loved the melody and beats. Few years ago, I learned more English at my school and I was curious about international music. At 7th grade (14 yo) I decided to listen Amy Winehouse. I first listened Back To Black, You Know I'm No Good and TDOTO at that time. And now, I'm 9th grade.
Posted Image
16 letters, 3 words, 5 syllables, 1 woman, a big talent;

Amy Jade Winehouse :missyou:

My Amy Fan Page >> http://www.facebook.com/BritLioness

My Tumblr >> http://winehouseanddelrey.tumblr.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users