84 replies to this topic

#46 Moody's Mood

Moody's Mood

You sent me flying

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:29 PM

I don't know exactly who the "we" are whose opinions I'm apparently not supposed to challenge.:-S Supposed "we" seems to elude to the notion that I'm apparently not a full member of the "us" party, which puzzles me a little, as last I looked, I was a full member of something... could be this forum. I guess I must be a reluctant independent then.:)

You obviously have never really listened to her at all. LOL Nor have others, apparently.

"We" are the "others".
What is your greatest fear?
Amy: "Dying old or never meeting Tony Bennett; if I never get to meet him, I might as well be dead."

#47 PabloD

PabloD

We bathe under blue light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:53 PM

I'm still unsure of Duffy too. I liked the album production a lot, and she has some amazing tracks on it (Mercy, Stepping Stone, Warwick Avenue, and Syrup & Honey are my favs) but her voice is a bit irritating. I've listened to her album a million times and even went to watch her live in Madrid (it was really good, much better than I expected). But still something seems a bit "fake".

What many of you have pointed out of her being a trend follower is just so true. She's said it many times that she never really listened to soul and she certainly doesn't have it inside her. That said, I've never thought she was marketed towards a soul conssuming public and she does good pop. I'm kinda looking forwards to a second album from her but I'm just not so mad about it.

This for some odd reason it's the first time I feel after posting in a forum that my opinion is absolutely stupid. You guys said it all pretty well. I could have save you time by saying: I agree.
Posted Image

#48 Wino

Wino

Shuffle A Dream

• Founders
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:26 PM

I'm a fan. Duffy has authentic talent, and a great personality. She is an original and unique singer-songwriter and a pure and powerful performer, and she's not a construct of the business at all. She's constructed her own career, and was merely aided. And in many respects, the same goes for Lily, of whom I'm also a fan, btw.

I have Duffy's album and I like it. She has several good tunes on there.
It isn't an album I listen to ALOT... but I occassionally will listen to it and always enjoy it.

"i'm a musician, fuck the rest"

1983 - 2011

#49 Winehousedrunk

Winehousedrunk

The sky above, a blaze that only lovers see..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 08:42 PM

"We" are the "others".

Good title for a horror movie.LOL
Tom Jones arrives at The Brit Awards and talks about Duffy:

Edited by Winehousedrunk, 22 March 2010 - 08:49 PM.

Amy Winehouse died, and she's taken a part of my soul with her. May that part be the love that I felt for her, and may the love that I still feel for her be the undying part of us both.

#50 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:47 PM

^ I, for the record, can't stand her! :D
Loved the first Lily video, couldn't see the second - CBC copyright issues. Grrr!
Liked her early music, but all her later stuff seems like pale rehashes.

#51 crol

crol

i'm not ashamed, but the guilt will kill you

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:59 PM

From my perspective, mine was a measured response. A bygone craft perhaps.

jeez, chill out

#52 suestev07

suestev07

injured butterfly is so talented, it hurts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:04 AM

I tried liking Duffy. I really, really wanted to. But her album just didn't have 'soul' for me. I do think Rockferry is a good song, and her voice is quite strong there, but that's about it. I feel she's a bit artificial, like she was 'manufactured' for a specific market. Like 'retro British girls are what's 'in' right now'.

Duffy wasn't familiar with soul music, and had to be provided with CDs to listen to on the train back to Wales while her career/ music was being worked on. To me, that says a lot right there. Amy was born and grew up listening to jazz and soul. She has it in her bones.

Lainey, you hit it spot on for me. I do like her voice...it took a while to get used to, just like it took a while to get used to Rihanna's voice for me, but I did enjoy Rockferry, Mercy, Warwick, and tried listening to more, but it wasn't pulling me in. I think she does have a strong voice, just not a strong repertoire of songs, nor of emotions in a song. I think her voice deserves more challenges.
\"it was as if all the emotions in the universe suddenly were coming out of her mouth.\" --Entertainment Weekly music critic Chris Willman.

"It's open-heart surgery set to music" - Sunday Herald article by Peter Ross Jan 7/07

"Be kinder than necessary...because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." - Anon.

#53 Winehousedrunk

Winehousedrunk

The sky above, a blaze that only lovers see..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:20 AM

She does have a strong voice, and soul, as Tom Jones duly noted (my earlier YT link in this thread), and these two acoustic versions of "Mercy" are more than adequate proof to credit her with both:

Amy Winehouse died, and she's taken a part of my soul with her. May that part be the love that I felt for her, and may the love that I still feel for her be the undying part of us both.

#54 Iulian

Iulian

against, not cause I believe it. just fun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:32 AM

Loved the first Lily video, couldn't see the second - CBC copyright issues. Grrr!

Same here:( if someone finds another link, pwease, share :D

#55 sarahbol

sarahbol

I died a hundred times.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,736 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:47 AM

I don't know exactly who the "we" are whose opinions I'm apparently not supposed to challenge.:-S Supposed "we" seems to elude to the notion that I'm apparently not a full member of the "us" party, which puzzles me a little, as last I looked, I was a full member of something... could be this forum. I guess I must be a reluctant independent then.:)

You like Duffy, other people don't. I don't see the problem to be honest.
And I go back to... I go back to us.

Bruised, battered and desparate for a fag she may be, but Amy is our 21st Century Piaf: flawed yet fabulous, tormented yet towering. Think of her this way and hope that the still remarkably young woman under the eyeliner thinks that way too. - Jude Rogers, The Word

#56 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:39 AM

It's OK if we don't care for Duffy, and you do. It really is. And we don't lack imagination for not liking her, and it's not because we haven't listened to her properly. Some of us just don't enjoy her music, or care for her voice. I don't enjoy heavy metal or country music, either. Some people do. I don't think they're wrong for enjoying that type of music - they just have different taste. C'est la vie.

Now, can we let this drop? Pretty please? My head hurts.

For the record, I love Lily Allen. I think I enjoyed her first album more than her second.
"I've got hair like them"

#57 Rockesquirrel

Rockesquirrel

I'm cuddly, bitch! Deal with it!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 01:03 PM

Lily Allen! She's the bomb diggety and I like her style, too. I wonder if she likes haggis??????
In this life, we each create our own heaven and hell. (Conversation overhead on the bus)

- 8-/

#58 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:48 PM

^ OMFGBBQ!!!! haggis is food???
Loved seeing Lily so happy & funny! I suspect that, like Amy, she's been under tremendous pressure to repeat her early successes. And I don't doubt that, when the time is right, they'll both produce more good work!

#59 Rockesquirrel

Rockesquirrel

I'm cuddly, bitch! Deal with it!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:11 PM

According to lore and legend, haggis is considered food. If a sow's uterus can be considered a delicacy, anything's possible.

OT: I liked Lily Allen's song, "Smile".
In this life, we each create our own heaven and hell. (Conversation overhead on the bus)

- 8-/

#60 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:43 PM

Ok, Ok. I feel obligated to clear up any misconceptions about haggis. There are many myths and legends about what it is, and what it isn't.

It is not a sow's uterus! Haggis is basically ground sheep - both the organ meat and the sheep's flesh - combined with oatmeal and spices. This mixture is then steamed, traditionally in the lining of a sheep's stomach, but these days, is more likely to be steamed in an artificial casing. You don't eat either the lining or the casing - unless you are really hungry, I suppose. It can be delicious, or, if it's poorly made, awful. People fear it, becuse they think it's gross to have ground organ meat in there. But it really just tastes like spicy ground meat. Like a beef taco, I guess. The oatmeal gives it a nice texture.

You either love it or hate it.
"I've got hair like them"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users