84 replies to this topic

#61 Rockesquirrel

Rockesquirrel

I'm cuddly, bitch! Deal with it!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:49 PM

Ok, Ok. I feel obligated to clear up any misconceptions about haggis. There are many myths and legends about what it is, and what it isn't.

It is not a sow's uterus! You don't eat either the lining or the casing - unless you are really hungry, I suppose. It can be delicious, or, if it's poorly made, awful. People fear it, becuse they think it's gross to have ground organ meat in there. But it really just tastes like spicy ground meat. Like a beef taco, I guess. The oatmeal gives it a nice texture.

You either love it or hate it.

No, no, no, friend Lainey! I was talking about the African-American 'delicacy', called 'hog maws'. THAT's a sow's uterus. I'm all but too familiar with what haggis is, since my ex was Scotch-Irish. Hog maws is usually eaten with 'chitlins', which is pig intenstines and black-eyed peas. Funny, the 'throwaways' given to American slaves is now a delicacy. They serve that stuff in Paris!
In this life, we each create our own heaven and hell. (Conversation overhead on the bus)

- 8-/

#62 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:54 PM

^ lol! knew u (Lainey) were gonna say that! :D
would love to try some! reminds me of john mcphee's beautiful the crofter & the laird.

#63 Rockesquirrel

Rockesquirrel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:05 PM

Whether she realizes it, Lainey made a terrific segue, Monsieur Alan.
In this life, we each create our own heaven and hell. (Conversation overhead on the bus)

- 8-/

#64 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:07 PM

^ Ha Ha!! Yeah, u know it! To me, if you can eat a hot dog, then you can certainly bring yourself to eat the infinitely more tasty haggis!

Of course, it tastes even better with a wee single malt to go with it.
"I've got hair like them"

#65 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:10 PM

No, no, no, friend Lainey! I was talking about the African-American 'delicacy', called 'hog maws'. THAT's a sow's uterus. I'm all but too familiar with what haggis is, since my ex was Scotch-Irish. Hog maws is usually eaten with 'chitlins', which is pig intenstines and black-eyed peas. Funny, the 'throwaways' given to American slaves is now a delicacy. They serve that stuff in Paris!

Edit: Rocke - Ha Ha!! Gotcha, I'm just very sensitive to the misinformation out there about my beloved haggis! Just for that, the next time I see Chitlins on the menu, I will order some. I'm very adventurous. As for the hogs maws...... hmmmmm.......
"I've got hair like them"

#66 Rockesquirrel

Rockesquirrel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:29 PM

It goes to show that we're related in more ways than one. Both of our peeps like to eat stomach lining, LOL! You can say whatever the hell you want about chitlins and hog maws, hee! I hate both dishes with a passion.

Have you eaten menudo?

- 8-/

#67 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:56 PM

Have you eaten menudo?

Once. I wasn't impressed. Not nearly as good as a similar Mexican soup made with pig ears & noses. They say extremities have the most subtle flavor. Love feet tostadas!

#68 Rockesquirrel

Rockesquirrel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:17 PM

Blech! My grandma used to force-feed menudo (tripe stew) to us. I was the all-American running away champ.

- 8-/

#69 Wino

Wino

Shuffle A Dream

• Founders
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:17 PM

Lily Allen needs to be slapped. Hard.

This might be off-topic to what y'all are talking about now but I just got an overwhelming sense of anger when I thought about Lily Allen and I had to add my 2 cents (or pence).

"i'm a musician, fuck the rest"

1983 - 2011

#70 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:17 PM

^ huh? what did lily do?

#71 Wino

Wino

Shuffle A Dream

• Founders
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:45 PM

Oh I just don't like her.

"i'm a musician, fuck the rest"

1983 - 2011

#72 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:49 PM

Oh. Sweet avatar! Love Napoleon D! Vote for Pablo!

#73 Rockesquirrel

Rockesquirrel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:28 PM

Welcome back, Claire and thanx for getting us back in line, hee!

OT: I cosign Alan, I'm loving the Napoleon D avvie! Pablo for President!

- 8-/

#74 Winehousedrunk

Winehousedrunk

The sky above, a blaze that only lovers see..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 04:38 PM

You like Duffy, other people don't. I don't see the problem to be honest.

There are two interrelated problems: lack of profundity and tendentious remarks.

Edited by Winehousedrunk, 24 March 2010 - 05:26 PM.

Amy Winehouse died, and she's taken a part of my soul with her. May that part be the love that I felt for her, and may the love that I still feel for her be the undying part of us both.

#75 Moody's Mood

Moody's Mood

You sent me flying

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:56 PM

Drop it. Now. All of you. Or I will do whatever it takes to stop this nonsense.
What is your greatest fear?
Amy: "Dying old or never meeting Tony Bennett; if I never get to meet him, I might as well be dead."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users