489 replies to this topic

#1 lyricgenius

lyricgenius

To my heart, she carries the key

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:25 AM

I saw this mentioned in the Amy UK 2009 Gig thread but figured it deserved a thread of its own.

They like her down there in St Lucia!

EDIT: Sorry, I guess this should have gone in the On The Road section. It's been so long since she had a gig, I forgot!

Amy Winehouse's legal problems may have her banned in the USA right now, so what's a gal to do?

Head for the Caribbean.

It was announced earlier today that Winehouse is going to headline the 18th Annual St. Lucia Jazz festival in May. She had to drop out of next month's Coachella music festival in the California desert because she's unable to obtain a work visa in time due to lingering assault charges she's facing in the U.K.

Sen. Allen Chastanet, St. Lucia's Minister of Tourism, tells me talks with Winehouse began during her recent two-month vacation on the small island nation.

"When she was in St. Lucia, it really was a positive influence on her," Chastanet tells me. "She had a really great time."

Winehouse will perform May 8 with KC and the Sunshine Band opening for her. About 6,000 people per night are expected to attend the festival, which runs from May 2 to 10. Others on the bill include Patti LaBelle, Chaka Khan, Chicago and Michael McDonald.

Winehouse will be put up at the new $100 million Tides Sugar Beach resort.

"She's welcome to stay as long as she wants to," Chastanet says. "We enjoy having her there. I wish we had recording facilities for her. I know she was trying very hard to record her album down there. That is something the government is working on down the road."

Chastanet insists he's confident Winehouse will honor her commitment. "What's very nice about the whole thing is we spoke to her and we spoke to her management and she really wants to do this to say thank-you to St. Lucia," he said. "I think this is something that she legitimately wants to do. So on that basis, I'm really not nervous."

We're rootin' for you, St. Lucia!

http://www.eonline.c..._caribbean.html

Edited by lyricgenius, 17 March 2009 - 02:27 AM.

• jackhp1 likes this
Posted Image
"Flawed yet fabulous, tormented yet towering"

#2 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:26 AM

wish i could afford to go. i think i'm losing my job this week...UGHHHHHHHH

#3 lyricgenius

lyricgenius

To my heart, she carries the key

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:33 AM

Things are tough where I work too, Kev. Hang in there. I know I'll need a vacation by May for my mental sanity, so I'm taking it come hell or high water.
Posted Image
"Flawed yet fabulous, tormented yet towering"

#4 suestev07

suestev07

injured butterfly is so talented, it hurts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:42 AM

Aw Kev, that's terrible! Hopefully it will be short-lived.

Dave, hope it doesn't happen to you. Who knows, you may want to go to St. Lucia earlier in May???
\"it was as if all the emotions in the universe suddenly were coming out of her mouth.\" --Entertainment Weekly music critic Chris Willman.

"It's open-heart surgery set to music" - Sunday Herald article by Peter Ross Jan 7/07

"Be kinder than necessary...because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." - Anon.

#5 tikipeacock

tikipeacock

My destructive side has grown a mile wide

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:25 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this, Kev. I really feel for you. I was layed off my last job awhile ago and I've been out of work now for longer than I'd care to admit. I hope you're able to hang on.:( If you feel like talking to someone who's been there, you can PM me.

Things are tough where I work too, Kev. Hang in there. I know I'll need a vacation by May for my mental sanity, so I'm taking it come hell or high water.

I hope things get better for you, too Dave and I do hope you're able to take that vacation. Getting away does wonders for the psyche. (Look what it's done for Amy)
Posted Image

"...All the birds sing words and the flowers croon in the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki tiki room."

#6 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:39 PM

Kev, I am so sorry to hear that. I hope you are lucky. I lost my job a few years ago for a couple of months. I got one in the end, but it was a scary time. Hang in there, Buddy.

Let's all play the lottery this weekend, OK? Then whoever wins can take the rest of us to St. Lucia! Sue, you have lotto in Canada, right?
"I've got hair like them"

#7 tikipeacock

tikipeacock

My destructive side has grown a mile wide

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:13 PM

I play the lotto almost every week. Sounds like a plan to me. :)
Posted Image

"...All the birds sing words and the flowers croon in the tiki, tiki, tiki, tiki tiki room."

#8 antceleb12

antceleb12

And I'm singing this song for you...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:00 PM

WOWIE!! That's a great gig!!
Posted Image

"Amy is amazing. It's as if Bille Holiday and Dianh Washington had a baby and it was raised by Janice Joplin." - jazzblowin on youtube

#9 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:41 AM

Another goofy gig rider article:
http://www.mirror.co...15875-21281157/
It seems if she wanted exotic British delicacies, she could order them on the net and not look like a fussy diva. 3 weeks to go!

#10 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:31 PM

I feel for you, Kev. Hang in there. I was laid off from a job a couple of years ago, and luckily I found another one within a month. It could happen again at any time, tho' - everyone's looking to 'cut costs' (i.e. lay people off). Scary.
"I've got hair like them"

#11 jcable06

jcable06

Marilyn Monroe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:09 PM

I wish the US would let her come back and and do a Winehouse Tour of the United states. Would be Awesome!
Posted Image
James Dean ....

#12 ashlee

ashlee

you're so thick and my patience's thin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:54 PM

the gig it's next friday everyone!
time flew by.
I'm nervous though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
five story fire as you came

#13 amyfanatic

amyfanatic

If I was my heart,I'd rather be restless.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:33 PM

the gig it's next friday everyone!
time flew by.
I'm nervous though.

God i'm nervous too...lol!
I'm soo excited though<33B-)
Posted Image

"I don`t listen to anyone...except my inner child anyway."

Amy.J.Winehouse.

#14 ashlee

ashlee

you're so thick and my patience's thin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:05 PM

me too! I'm very excited really, we are finally going to see Amy perform, and maybe listen to something new!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
five story fire as you came

#15 jcable06

jcable06

Marilyn Monroe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:42 PM

did she ever perform in the 2008 festival?
Posted Image
James Dean ....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users