• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:42 PM

"Wait! Are you a lesbian? Oh, well neither am I!"

LOVED IT hahahaha :D
R.I.P.
Amy Winehouse

Forever in our hearts, shall we meet in Heaven this time!

#452 suestev07

suestev07

injured butterfly is so talented, it hurts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 03:32 AM

Believe me, Sundy, I understand that. The thing is.. people have been supportive, loving and caring and have tried to get her to get help even before she got into hard drugs. And that was years ago! And you know why she hasn't accepted any help? You know why she is still a mess? Not because of her psychological problems. Because she is stubborn as a fucking mule or possibly too proud to let anyone help her. And it's getting old. Very very old.

I disagree. I think it is precisely because of her psychological problems that she is this way.

Have you watched the youtube vids on
"Stephen Fry - The Secret Life of a Manic Depressive" in 7 parts? (haha I think it ended up being in 10 parts)- thanks Lainey for the heads up on this

...this is in part 5, around 8:44

" Fry: Manic depression's capacity to destroy the lives of people makes it all the more important for it to be diagnosed early, but often it goes undetected, because of what most sufferers do to help them cope with the mood swings. They cover up their symptoms. Certainly I did, for almost 20 years . It's called self-medication, or as you might properly call it, the taking of excessive amounts of drink and drugs,vodka and cocaine in my case.

Ian Jones: The effect of it is that coke is a stimulant and alcohol is a sedative, supposedly. Fry: It stops one from feeling, in a strange kind of way.You're no longer sort of depressed, or manic; you're just kind of…you're just going…you're just "on", you know? That's what I was doing all during my successful '80's and'90's. My friends, if they thought about it at all, would have said "heavy user", not "manic depressive". They'd have mistaken the symptoms for the cause; and that happens a lot.
Fry: It says something about manic depression, that despite it being the greatest killer, of all psychiatric illnesses, many of those suffering from it, if given a chance, don't want to get rid of it.

If I'm honest, I don't."

....and here is a post under the vid:

"The double-edged sword with illnesses such as these are, you might never have risen to certain heights if you didn't have it. I know that if I didn't have some of the tendencies, I would not have pursued my career goals as I did. But there was a price; so I wonder about that "button," and I agree with Stephen and Tony. I want that option, too."

More of the vid:
" Fry: I always have voices in my head saying what a useless bastard I am, but the voices are my own. It is my own voice, just telling me what a worthless lump of shit I am. Are you surprised that I feel like that? I no longer am. Because I know that it's the result of my illness. I have a disease of the brain that I share with 4 million others in the U.K. …. It's tormented me all my life with the deepest of depressions,while giving me the energy and creativity that perhaps has made my career. It's called bi-polarity, or manic/depression. Until now, I have tried to cope with it largely by ignoring but I'm not so sure that that's been wise.
Fry: With the psychiatrist's diagnosis, came his advice for treatment. Like many other manic depressives, I was told to reduce the stress in my life, take time off, stop working so hard. I came here to Los Angeles, walked this beach every day, got surprisingly fit…..

Part 8 vid: Richard Dreyfus (who is bi-polar), when thanking his doctor for the medication that he prescribed, said to his doc: I could not have done this without this courage. Then he said to me: It's not courage, it is the absence of anxiety.

Fry:So, as you can see, I'm still very much in the grip of mood swings, but also still more afraid of the medication than the illness. Surprising as it might seem, this is a common reaction among manic depressives.:"

"

Edited by suestev07, 14 May 2009 - 04:18 AM.

\"it was as if all the emotions in the universe suddenly were coming out of her mouth.\" --Entertainment Weekly music critic Chris Willman.

"It's open-heart surgery set to music" - Sunday Herald article by Peter Ross Jan 7/07

"Be kinder than necessary...because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." - Anon.

#453 suestev07

suestev07

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 03:36 AM

More stuff from the Fry vid, part 10 around 7:00

"Fry: You genuinely believe diet plays a big part in mental health?

Former patient, Liz, who was sectioned 3 times: I think it's the foundation.

Fry: The foundation?

Liz: Absolutely. I think if somebody isn't physically healthy, and the brain is a physical organ, then you can't expect to be healthy.

Fry: You have this theory about Omega-3's, which are more present in …fish

Liz: You actually need to have Omega-3 molecules in order to get good membranes for your brain cells, in order for them to function properly.

Fry: And supplements are as good?

Liz: yes, well I think they are.

Fry: So, cod liver oil, and that sort of thing?

Liz: Yes, cod liver oil, flax seed oil, hemp seed oil.

Fry: and you take a lot of these things?

Liz: Yes, I do. I order fish whenever I can, whenever it's on the menu and I take every day 3 grams of cod liver oil.

Fry: And you're pretty sure that your decision not to go on medication, but to do other things we talked about, likeslowing your life down, and this kind of attention to things like Omega-3's is part of you're being able to cope.

Liz:Absolutely. Yes.

Fry: what makes Liz's views even more interesting is that she is a doctor. She left university as the best young neurosurgeon in Britain. It was 6 months after that that she was first sectioned.
Fry….doctors say…wait and see, you'll have another episode….but, for 15 years, she hasn't."

Edited by suestev07, 14 May 2009 - 03:50 AM.

\"it was as if all the emotions in the universe suddenly were coming out of her mouth.\" --Entertainment Weekly music critic Chris Willman.

"It's open-heart surgery set to music" - Sunday Herald article by Peter Ross Jan 7/07

"Be kinder than necessary...because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." - Anon.

#454 suestev07

suestev07

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 03:38 AM

Wow, just noticed....8101 views of this thread!

#455 suestev07

suestev07

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:43 AM

another interesting tidbit:
http://www.informawo...13832623~db=all
"Abstract

There have been a variety of studies that have examined the experiences of women in recovery from alcoholism and other addictions. However, few of these studies have investigated the role of leisure in the recovery process of women. It is generally accepted that women have a different experience of both addiction/recovery, and leisure, than do men.

Consequently, the purpose of this project was to examine the recovery related experiences of women in recovery from alcoholism, with a particular emphasis on leisure.

The data from an indepth case study of three women, conducted over a six-month period, who had formed their own support network, were examined using a feminist interpretive approach. The results indicated that these women found leisure involvement to be critical to their moving beyond just "not drinking" toward true recovery.

However, they stated that, for them, learning how to experience leisure without the mediation of alcohol was extremely difficult. In spite of this difficulty, they undertook the challenge of learning about leisure as they began to recognize its benefits in rebuilding a nonalcoholic identity and a meaningful life.

Specifically, they found that leisure involvement allowed them to (a) learn about themselves, (B) learn how to accept and appreciate their various attributes and limitations, and © take risks as another means of developing self-awareness."

I say let her have a most leisurely stay in St. Lucia!:D

#456 Mama_Haze

Mama_Haze

Hazy Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:56 AM

I can identify with all of that.... especially the voices etc. Not tanglible, hearing things type voices, just your own inner voice, reprimanding your every move.

I have to concur though, that exercise and a healthy diet are a key part of maintaining equlibrium, and I think that is why Amy has loked and felt so much better since being in St Lucia - she is far more active.

After my last breakdown, I piled on almost 3st.... I lost all that a couple years back and am now veggie, eating low fat and low carb diet with plenty of fresh fruit, nuts, whole grains etc.... I walk at least 30mins every day with the dog when the weather is good and am about to invest in a cross trainer.

Apatrt from snything else, it is a focus away from the inside of my brain, and such diostractions are an essential tool, also, imo.

I am a long time fan of Stephen and his work, and the docus touched me a lot. I really wish more people would do this; mental illness still bears huge stigma and we just don't talk about it enough.

Hahaha, this is one of my fave subjects; can you tell...? :)

#457 Moody's Mood

Moody's Mood

You sent me flying

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 03:20 PM

If there is a man with a very serious alcohol problem that refuses all help. And as a result of his alcoholism he beats up his wife every night. Do we blame alcoholism for the beatings, or the man that refuses to get treatment for his alcoholism? I know who I’m mad at.

The point I'm trying to make is that Amy has all the support and all the opportunities in the world to deal with her psychological issues. Yet she’s done nothing mention worthy in the last two years to improve her mental state. So at some point I stop being understanding when she messes up. It is, after all, Amy who has decided not to do anything about the cause of her fuck ups even though she has the chance to.

It’s fine by me if she doesn’t get help. But, imho, that does mean she is responsible for her own illness and for the consequences of the decision not to do anything about it. If she fucks up a gig it’s not because she’s mentally ill. It’s because she is mentally ill and has refused to do anything about it for God knows how long. So that messed up gig is on her. Nothing or no one else.

Using mental illness as an excuse for her behaviour will just make things worse, because she will no longer be obliged to take responsibility for her own actions.

I know many if you might have a hard time agreeing with this, but I will stand behind it nonetheless. It’s time for Amy to take responsibility for her own life and time for everyone else to stop letting her hide behind and illness that she herself won't put an end to.
What is your greatest fear?
Amy: "Dying old or never meeting Tony Bennett; if I never get to meet him, I might as well be dead."

#458 Mama_Haze

Mama_Haze

Hazy Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 03:30 PM

I just saw how bad my spelling was earlier... Oops!

I agree; you have to take control of your own life. Being in control is very empowering.

#459 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:01 PM

Sometimes taking responsibility ceases to be an option, and then only outside intervention can help.Posted Image

#460 Rockesquirrel

Rockesquirrel

I'm cuddly, bitch! Deal with it!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:18 PM

RuggedSmoove has once again bought the common sense to the table! I'm going to get lambasted for this, but I saw this on another site. One poster stated that the singer, and Academy Award winning actress, Jennifer Hudson suffered a tragedy of having some members of her family murdered. It's a testament to handling and dealing with life lessons. People were surprised and shocked at how quickly and how well she bounced back from the tragedy. I'm sure that Ms. Hudson is still coping and struggling, but she's proven that she is strong and terrific, as a trouper and a performer.

I'm afraid that Winehouse didn't have the tools to cope and deal with fame nor take responsibility for her actions. One tends to overlook the bad behavior and struggles, in favor of Winehouse being a gifted and talented artist. Her record company, management and close relations probably figured that fame and fortune would solve her problems. I sincerely hope and pray that Winehouse finally gets the help she needs. I stick by stating that Island Records needs to release her, and buy her contract (i.e., Mariah Carey). Winehouse needs to stop thinking that needing help is a weakness, period.
In this life, we each create our own heaven and hell. (Conversation overhead on the bus)

- 8-/

#461 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:44 AM

the illness gives us a way to understand the behavior, but she's responsible for it. totally agree wicha RS

#462 suestev07

suestev07

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 04:12 AM

Using mental illness as an excuse for her behaviour will just make things worse, because she will no longer be obliged to take responsibility for her own actions.

I know many if you might have a hard time agreeing with this, but I will stand behind it nonetheless. It’s time for Amy to take responsibility for her own life and time for everyone else to stop letting her hide behind and illness that she herself won't put an end to.

I look at the mental illness as an explanation for her behaviour only, not as an excuse for her behaviour.

She definitely has to take responsibility, but I think she is just beginning to truly learn about her own illness....and, I don't think she can put an end to it, only (hopefully) find positive ways to manage it.

#463 Mama_Haze

Mama_Haze

Hazy Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:00 AM

It's a good, positive thng that this thread has become so popular.... it's a macrocosm of what I would like to see in wider society; and interest in and acceptance and understanding of mental health issues.

This is obviously a subject close to my heart and it pleases me how this thread has turned into a resourceful and insightful conversation about something we just don't talk enough about in 'real life'

:)

#464 Guest_Strawberrie_*

Guest_Strawberrie_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:20 PM

If i lived in St Lucia i would be try to find her, every day!

#465 BIGHAIRBARNET

BIGHAIRBARNET

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:31 AM

thought i would add this to this thread !! Not sure if its been posted this exact clip
But is very close to the stage and we see 2 songs in full virtually of
Know you now , And just freinds
and u can see Amy doing her little moves ,,hehehe
Bless her ,,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users