• Please log in to reply
489 replies to this topic

#46 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:55 PM

Amy Winehouse seems to have made the Caribbean island of St Lucia her home in recent months and is rewarding locals with an appearance at the local jazz festival on Friday night, something which is said to have brought thousands of fans to the island.

Amy Winehouse has told locals she loves St Lucia

It sounds like Amy Winehouse has become one of the locals in St Lucia.
After all, she's been living on the island for the last few months. Many have seen her and even spoken to her.
And it's no surprise she loves St Lucia. The green hills, huge palm trees and sea views are breathtaking.
Landing at Hewanorra International Airport, you're welcomed by two huge mountains. Smoke covers their tips.
The peaks sit above a crystal-clear sapphire ocean. Apparently from the top of them, you can see the whole island and a couple of its neighbours including Barbados and Martinique. It's something tourists are told they must see.
Local impression
A taxi driver was waiting for Newsbeat in the baggage reclaim area.
Kevin Charles is a 30-year-old man who was born and raised in St Lucia.
He took the luggage and put it in the boot of his burgundy Toyota and asked: "Are you here for Amy?"
According to him, Amy Winehouse has made a real impression on the locals.
Kevin, who sees her walking around regularly, thinks she's great.
"She's a cool person," he said. "She talks to everybody and she's not like a star. She's an islander now like all of us."
As the car was driven from the airport to the hotel, driver Kevin steered the van with one hand around potholes, while speaking to friends on his mobile about Amy's long-awaited performance at the jazz festival on Friday night.
Festival 'honour'
Amy Winehouse is going to be performing on Pigeon Island, which is where some of the festival is taking place.
The singer said in a statement she was honoured to play at the festival and that she was currently recording on the island which she dubbed a "home from home".
She added: "Since I first came to the island, I have been greeted with nothing but kindness and friendship, as well as incredible music and the mo
"I have made friends for life and have been inspired by my surroundings."
It's thought her appearance has brought thousands to St Lucia, including a load of Brits.
At the Cotton Bay Village resort in Rodney Bay, people are taking it easy.
The staff at the front desk explain Amy and her people are staying there.
They even point out her white villa, which is in the middle of the complex. A couple of lights inside are switched on.
Up the ramp and around the corner from it, is the beach bar. A group of women from London are having white wine with burritos and chips.
'Healthier look'
They've seen Amy several times and plan to see her at the jazz festival.
This lady didn't want to give her name to Newsbeat but said: "She's looking a lot better than last year. She's put a bit of weight on and just looks healthier."
She explained the singer had been sat with her near the beach a few days ago and told the bartender to turn the radio off when a track of hers came on.
Lerroy works behind the bar and told Newsbeat he'd served Amy a few rum and cokes.
He said: "She's a fantastic individual. She's a very sociable person. We talk about her music and she tells me she really likes jazz and said something like she really loves St Lucia."
It's not supposed to be difficult to spot Amy at the resort, and if she feels like it, many here say she'll say hello and have a natter.

http://news.bbc.co.u...000/8039401.stm

#47 kylakoolie

kylakoolie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:23 PM

Is this gig be televised anywhere??
Let Your Freak Flag Fly

#48 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:31 PM

Is this gig be televised anywhere??

No!
Posted Image

#49 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:33 PM

"But tonight's performance could be jeopardised by strong winds and rain which have been battering the island for the last three days."

hope they don't have to cancel the show....

#50 manic_blue

manic_blue

Hey, little rich girl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:36 PM

It's Amy It's Pouring

http://www.bbc.co.uk...y_stlucia.shtml
Winehouse's comeback hangs in balance as torrential rain hits St Lucia
08 May 2009 - It is uncertain whether Amy Winehouse's big comeback show scheduled for tonight will go ahead due to torrential rain.

As a gesture of thanks, she is due to perform at an annual jazz festival in St Lucia tonight, where she has been residing in recent months.

Organisers are working on contingency plans after last night's shows had to be pulled due to bad weather.

Thousands of fans are expected to arrive for the Back To Black star's first gig of 2009.

There was a possibility of moving the gig to the only indoor venue on the island, The Gaiety, which has a capacity of 1500 people only.

The venue could not take on Thursday's cancelled shows, which included a headline performance from The Wailers.

"Unfortunately we have a tropical depression and I think with that amount of rain it was impossible to have the show on Pigeon Island," said its owner, to BBC 6 Music News reporter Jo Youle.

"They wanted us to use Gaiety as an alternative venue but unfortunately we had another engagement that was very important to us, so we couldn't accommodate that," he continued.

If the weather does not clear up, Gaiety could host Winehouse's show, but for a much smaller amount of people.

"1500, seated comfortably," explained the owner. "We couldn't accommodate everybody on Pigeon Island inside."

The scheduled venue on Pigeon Island holds approximately 5000-6000 people.

If the show poses health and safety risks due to the rain, which has been continuous for three days, organisers will be faced with a logistical nightmare and the gig may have to be cancelled.
He's the big affair I cannot forget..only man I think of with regret...Someone To Watch Over Me

#51 manic_blue

manic_blue

Hey, little rich girl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:37 PM

The Amy effect

The troubled star ditched her hedonistic London lifestyle and has been predominantly residing in St Lucia in recent months, as she works on a follow-up to her acclaimed album, Back To Black.

St Lucia's minister for tourism, Allan Chastanet, told Jo Youle Amy has been a huge hit with the locals.

"I think she has been very happy with the reception and hospitality that she has received in St Lucia," he explained. "Even, given her past, people have not judged Amy here.

"I think people have judged Amy for what she has been here and she's been phenomenal. She's been reaching out to the kids, the communities. She's not a snob in any way."

He revealed the residents of the island had reservations to start with because of her troubled past, but they have wholly accepted her.

"This is a destination of second chances," said Chastanet. "The gift that she was giving us was simply smiling and when she was gaining weight and people saw that she was physically getting better."

A statement from Amy Winehouse reads: "It is an honour to play the St. Lucia jazz festival this year. Since I first came to the island, I have been greeted with nothing but kindness and friendship, as well as incredible music and the most beautiful of settings."
He's the big affair I cannot forget..only man I think of with regret...Someone To Watch Over Me

#52 Moody's Mood

Moody's Mood

You sent me flying

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:45 PM

What kind of fuckery is this?! Positive articles?!

MY HEAD! IT'S GOING TO EXPLODE! :o
What is your greatest fear?
Amy: "Dying old or never meeting Tony Bennett; if I never get to meet him, I might as well be dead."

#53 manic_blue

manic_blue

Hey, little rich girl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:50 PM

What kind of fuckery is this?! Positive articles?!

MY HEAD! IT'S GOING TO EXPLODE! :o

Grab the duct tape. If it goes as we expect.. we're all gonna need it!!!!

#54 amyfanatic

amyfanatic

If I was my heart,I'd rather be restless.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:55 PM

"I think people have judged Amy for what she has been here and she's been phenomenal. She's been reaching out to the kids, the communities. She's not a snob in any way."

It's positive articles. Yes. And i still can't believe it...LMAO.
Posted Image

"I don`t listen to anyone...except my inner child anyway."

Amy.J.Winehouse.

#55 suestev07

suestev07

injured butterfly is so talented, it hurts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 04:28 PM

Irony of ironies....her own people (certain Brits) drove her away...why wouldn't she want to be there in the midst of such peace and positive vibes? Common human kindness rules!

ot - weather forecast:

May 8th 11 PM - 28 deg. and CLEAR!

http://www.accuweath...ay=1&hbhhour=22
\"it was as if all the emotions in the universe suddenly were coming out of her mouth.\" --Entertainment Weekly music critic Chris Willman.

"It's open-heart surgery set to music" - Sunday Herald article by Peter Ross Jan 7/07

"Be kinder than necessary...because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." - Anon.

#56 Moody's Mood

Moody's Mood

You sent me flying

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 04:43 PM

Was just thinking.. how will she feel about performing the songs she wrote about Blake?
What is your greatest fear?
Amy: "Dying old or never meeting Tony Bennett; if I never get to meet him, I might as well be dead."

#57 manic_blue

manic_blue

Hey, little rich girl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 04:46 PM

Was just thinking.. how will she feel about performing the songs she wrote about Blake?

I think we are to expect her appearance to be an emotional one on so many levels. Which for me, is always Amy at her most brilliant.

#58 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 04:55 PM

Amy Winehouse's big comeback show in the Caribbean will go ahead despite torrential rain, organisers have said.
The 25-year-old star is widely expected to preview new material at the concert, which is part of the annual jazz festival in St Lucia.

http://news.bbc.co.u...ent/8039924.stm

#59 sarahbol

sarahbol

I died a hundred times.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,736 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:11 PM

I have no idea. I don't know what to expect at all. I do have a feeling she's going to be talkative (or say something, period, at least).
And I go back to... I go back to us.

Bruised, battered and desparate for a fag she may be, but Amy is our 21st Century Piaf: flawed yet fabulous, tormented yet towering. Think of her this way and hope that the still remarkably young woman under the eyeliner thinks that way too. - Jude Rogers, The Word

#60 Mono

Mono

down

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:35 PM

umm, how many hours to go? ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users