162 replies to this topic

#151 Rockesquirrel

Rockesquirrel

I'm cuddly, bitch! Deal with it!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 04:20 PM

I think I got further perspective about Winehouse's career, from the wonderful play, "Jersey Boys". Frank Valli and the Four Seasons make Winehouse look like Duffy, for reals. Working class talent, catapulted to stardom, problems intact, only to crash with sex, drugs and rock and roll, only to rise like a phoenix! Brilliant! If "Jersey Boys" comes to your town, I highly recommend it.
In this life, we each create our own heaven and hell. (Conversation overhead on the bus)

- 8-/

#152 suestev07

suestev07

injured butterfly is so talented, it hurts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 04:48 PM

I see what you're saying, mister magic, but I don't know that Amy's relationship with Dionne is unhealthy. We don't know for sure what occurs in their day to day lives. All we see and hear about them are brief snippets - from the (very) occasional photograph to a quote or two from Amy and Dionne themselves.

When Amy says things like Dionne is the adult, and that she looks after Amy, well perhaps she is just joking? I think Amy spends time with her because she a) loves her very much and B) knows how the music business can be seedy and that the vultures can chew you up and spit you out if you don't make enough $$ for them. Today's flavor of the month can tomorrow's has-been. We've seen it time and time again. She is very young to have a career in music, and I think Amy is just being protective, which is a good thing.

What is unhealthy is an addiction to crack and heroin. If mentoring Dionne keeps her focused on her sobriety (well, focused on staying away from drugs at least), then bring it on.

ITA with you Lainey... I don't take literally what she says about looking up to Dionne.

She has prob learned things from Dionne that surprised her, as we all can learn from kids, even as young as 13, if we're close to them. This prob really means that we have also learned from the child's parents, because that's the dynamic that makes the child what she/he is.

I would venture that Amy reflects on her own childhood when with Dionne. Being with children allows us to reflect on many things, precisely because they are innocent, and don't require us to be "on". So, really, Amy is learning from Amy while with Dionne...and that's got to be good.

I see no harm...and, even from the little that we really know, it seems to me that Amy is doing other things at the same time...not merely focusing on Dionne.

Yes, as Lainey said, definitely... "bring it on".
\"it was as if all the emotions in the universe suddenly were coming out of her mouth.\" --Entertainment Weekly music critic Chris Willman.

"It's open-heart surgery set to music" - Sunday Herald article by Peter Ross Jan 7/07

"Be kinder than necessary...because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." - Anon.

#153 Winehousedrunk

Winehousedrunk

The sky above, a blaze that only lovers see..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:06 PM

Like Sue pointed out, and also Lainey, Sundy and Dave (in different ways, naturally), Amy and Dionne are surely learning very useful things from each other in the loving, caring adult-child relationship that they have, which is a beautiful thing. In my view, and certainly now, both are getting the best out of their relationship. Rather a healthy result, I'd say.

Edited by Winehousedrunk, 11 October 2009 - 05:17 PM.

Amy Winehouse died, and she's taken a part of my soul with her. May that part be the love that I felt for her, and may the love that I still feel for her be the undying part of us both.

#154 mister magic

mister magic

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:58 PM

I don't take literally what she says about looking up to Dionne.

What's not to take literally? Amy hasn't exactly spoken about it in metaphors, and it wasn't a one-off-- literally every interview in which she talks about Dionne, she talks about how wise Dionne is and how Dionne gives her so much good advice and whatnot. I'm not saying she shouldn't be close to her goddaughter, but I am pretty sure the lines of who's the child and who's the adult are blurred there, and Amy being best friends with a 13 year old allows her to regress a bit. That's not negavity, that's basic psychiatry.

Of course, I'm not saying it's ALL negative. I'm sure they love and care for one another very much, and it's good for Amy to be unconditionally loved from someone like Dionne, but just because it's better than heroin doesn't necessarily mean it's healthy, that's my whole point.

Then again, it IS a step in the right direction, I will admit that. I just want to see Amy get 100% better, to see her happy and healthy, and I know she's on her way there with minor pitfalls every once in a while, but I worry, is all. It's my nature!

#155 suestev07

suestev07

injured butterfly is so talented, it hurts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:20 PM

What's not to take literally? Amy hasn't exactly spoken about it in metaphors, and it wasn't a one-off-- literally every interview in which she talks about Dionne, she talks about how wise Dionne is and how Dionne gives her so much good advice and whatnot.

What's not to take literally?

Well, imo, when Amy speaks, unlike her lyrics, she goes from A to Z without meandering through B to Y. That means, for me, that she leaves a lot of explanation out.

Thinking, intelligent kids are very perceptive about life at a gut level, and girls can usually express themselves well.

Kids can open your eyes to a completely different perception. Perhaps it is less threatening and there is less to be defensive about to "hear" what a non-judgmental Dionne says than to listen to someone else in her entourage.

I picture Amy being very generous when she says Dionne gives her such good advice. I picture that it is more the result of many to's and fro's in their conversations and realizations that Amy comes to. So, for me, Amy is doing the work.

Of course, I may be completely hallucinating here!
\"it was as if all the emotions in the universe suddenly were coming out of her mouth.\" --Entertainment Weekly music critic Chris Willman.

"It's open-heart surgery set to music" - Sunday Herald article by Peter Ross Jan 7/07

"Be kinder than necessary...because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." - Anon.

#156 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:05 PM

i know how important for us to stay in the present with Amy, but I can't help but remember how uncomfortable I was seeing Dionne in the car or in the background when Amy was obviously loaded. I don't know what that was all about, and it is the past...just a comment.
But, I loved seeing them perform and like Tara--those damn dancers were annoying the hell out of me. What on earth did Mama Said have to do with that choreography!! :lol:

#157 Winehousedrunk

Winehousedrunk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:52 PM

What's not to take literally?

Well, imo, when Amy speaks, unlike her lyrics, she goes from A to Z without meandering through B to Y. That means, for me, that she leaves a lot of explanation out.

Thinking, intelligent kids are very perceptive about life at a gut level, and girls can usually express themselves well.

Kids can open your eyes to a completely different perception. Perhaps it is less threatening and there is less to be defensive about to "hear" what a non-judgmental Dionne says than to listen to someone else in her entourage.

I picture Amy being very generous when she says Dionne gives her such good advice. I picture that it is more the result of many to's and fro's in their conversations and realizations that Amy comes to. So, for me, Amy is doing the work.

Of course, I may be completely hallucinating here!

No, you're not hallucinating, you're being down to earth and sensible about it.;-)
Amy Winehouse died, and she's taken a part of my soul with her. May that part be the love that I felt for her, and may the love that I still feel for her be the undying part of us both.

#158 lyricgenius

lyricgenius

To my heart, she carries the key

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:02 PM

My sense is that Dionne is not as volatile and impulse-driven as Amy, so in that sense Amy regards her as an "older sister". Amy recognizes that Dionne provides some things that are lacking in her own personality, that Dionne is complementary to her. Doesn't mean that Amy views herself as the "little sister" to Dionne in all aspects.
Posted Image
"Flawed yet fabulous, tormented yet towering"

#159 brando

brando

Ain't no sunshine when she's gone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:04 PM

I see what you're saying, mister magic, but I don't know that Amy's relationship with Dionne is unhealthy. We don't know for sure what occurs in their day to day lives. All we see and hear about them are brief snippets - from the (very) occasional photograph to a quote or two from Amy and Dionne themselves.

When Amy says things like Dionne is the adult, and that she looks after Amy, well perhaps she is just joking? I think Amy spends time with her because she a) loves her very much and B) knows how the music business can be seedy and that the vultures can chew you up and spit you out if you don't make enough $$ for them. Today's flavor of the month can tomorrow's has-been. We've seen it time and time again. She is very young to have a career in music, and I think Amy is just being protective, which is a good thing.

What is unhealthy is an addiction to crack and heroin. If mentoring Dionne keeps her focused on her sobriety (well, focused on staying away from drugs at least), then bring it on.

i completely agree with you. it's all we hear and read.. nothing is certain. There IS something a bit unusual in the relationship this 26 year old woman and a 13 year old girl have.. but we have no idea how possessive, obsessive or other million adjectives more that relationship really is. So for now, i'll stay with the fact that Amy is helping a girl (a bit too young IMO) with an AMAZING voice make music which was half dead before Amy really made it, that's enough for me. A 13 year old singing Mama Said? thats fucking awesome! imagine that 10 years ago.. and i'm pretty sure that this 'soul revival' had a lot to do witn Amy Winehouse.. that makes me proud.
About the performance i really had a feeling that Amy might blew it because most eyes were going to be on her, but she was flawless, didnt even tried to caught the attention, her wardrobe, her singing, her actions, everything was made with CLASS and completely suitable for me :)
The Lioness has rejoined her cub, and all is right in the jungle.

#160 WinehouseFAN08

WinehouseFAN08

You Got To Call The Green Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:34 PM

those damn dancers were annoying the hell out of me. What on earth did Mama Said have to do with that choreography!! :lol:

Thank god someone slse thought it.. i just wanted to look at Amy and Dionne and they keot showing thiese bloody dancers who got in the way.. :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tonight the light of love is in your eyes.. Will you love me tomorrow?

&&WithEverydayThatPasses.. IMissYouALittleBitMore..10/3/09..ILoveYouLudo

WeWillBeTogetherAgainSoon

#161 kylakoolie

kylakoolie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:32 AM

I think Dionne did very well, especially considering her age, but she also had Amy's whole band, Amy, Ade & Zalon to back her up. (Hasn't Ade shed a few?)

Amy was OK but proved again that she has no rhythm AT ALL, the woman needs some serious dancing lessons. How can you not swing your arms in time to the music?

They got a lot more screen time than is normal as usually is camera on singer for first verse then concentrating on the dancers.

Not too bad but nothing to get my hopes up for a decent Amy gig for a while.
Let Your Freak Flag Fly

#162 manic_blue

manic_blue

Hey, little rich girl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:53 PM

(Hasn't Ade shed a few?)

Amy was OK but proved again that she has no rhythm AT ALL, the woman needs some serious dancing lessons. How can you not swing your arms in time to the music?

Poor Amy, with her aching new boobs probably gave it her best. I'm just proud that she didn't let Dionne down even when she was in pain herself. Old Amy woulda' been a no show.

Edited by manic_blue, 12 October 2009 - 07:37 PM.

He's the big affair I cannot forget..only man I think of with regret...Someone To Watch Over Me

#163 Winehousedrunk

Winehousedrunk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 01:34 PM

Yesterday (Sat.) on Strictly, its legendary co-presenter Bruce Forsyth (the other half is the beautiful Tess Daly) mentioned Amy's appearance on the show last week, and he said that Amy was lovely and that she supports one of the dancers in the competition, Jo Wood, the insecure but adorable ex of the Rolling Stone, who is the underdog and always at the bottom of the scoring-board, but still in the competition, thanks to popular demand (i.e. phone-voting). Then a short clip was shown of Amy somewhere in the studio, with Dionne at her side, saying something like: "Yeah, I want my girl Jo to win the competition", with a lovely smile and a twinkle in her eye. She looked really good, even in the harsh practical light of some studio corridor. Amy supporting the underdog: scorned, divorced, older rock chick, London girl Jo Wood... we would expect no less of her! Noblesse oblige, is what they used to say, or as an updated paraphrase: loyalty defines royalty.

And also: I saw Dionne today (Sun.) as a guest in some run of the mill BBC talk/cooking show, the other guest being the wonderful Seasick Steve (try YouTube). Dionne is so sweet and real. Her personality, like Amy's, is quite magical. She's certainly already somewhere, but she'll go further yet. Amy is so right to be very proud of her.

Edited by Winehousedrunk, 19 October 2009 - 02:37 AM.
just a typo correction, folks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users