#1 mister magic

mister magic

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:12 PM

From the BBC:

Winehouse may not have released any new material since the 10 million-selling Back To Black three years ago, but she is making herself heard on the music scene again after setting up Lioness Records. Her first release is the debut album by Dionne Bromfield, who sounds like a sweeter, more youthful Winehouse with a collection of 1960s soul and girl group covers.
One of Winehouse's long-time backing singers Zalon Thompson is also expected to join the label after recording a solo album with Back To Black co-producer Mark Ronson.
Winehouse's manager Raye Cosbert recently said Zalon's brother and fellow backing vocalist - and former X Factor hopeful - Heshima would follow.
He has also mentioned the name Juliette, likely referring to Winehouse's close friend Juliette Ashby, who was the other half of rap duo Sweet 'n' Sour with Winehouse when they were 10 years old.
Winehouse wanted to set up a label to "bring through the talent around her", according to Darcus Beese, co-president of Island Records, who signed the singer in 2003.

Original article: http://news.bbc.co.u...ent/8295613.stm

ETA: I can kinda see what they mean. It was one thing for Amy to sign Dionne, but Zalon, who's average at best, and now Heshima, who's not even as good as Zalon? Egads. If Juliette signs, I can understand that, as she and Amy have had a long history of being into music together, but the rest of it is just going overboard. For such a young label, she ought to concentrate more on making it legitimate rather than a vehicle to just sign all of her friends (who, for the most part, IMO, are rather average/lacklustre).

#2 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:16 PM

What's the joke? Seemed like an OK article to me.

#3 suestev07

suestev07

injured butterfly is so talented, it hurts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:45 PM

What about Tyler???
\"it was as if all the emotions in the universe suddenly were coming out of her mouth.\" --Entertainment Weekly music critic Chris Willman.

"It's open-heart surgery set to music" - Sunday Herald article by Peter Ross Jan 7/07

"Be kinder than necessary...because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." - Anon.

#4 mister magic

mister magic

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:58 PM

Alan, I should have rephrased the title-- it should've been more like "Lioness Records a novelty label?"... that's the question posed (albeit briefly) by the article, and I think it's a valid question.

#5 Winehousedrunk

Winehousedrunk

The sky above, a blaze that only lovers see..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:02 PM

Alan, I should have rephrased the title-- it should've been more like "Lioness Records a novelty label?"... that's the question posed (albeit briefly) by the article, and I think it's a valid question.

No joke. She's got Dionne on her label. I rest my case.;-)
Amy Winehouse died, and she's taken a part of my soul with her. May that part be the love that I felt for her, and may the love that I still feel for her be the undying part of us both.

#6 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:19 PM

Um, joke? Don't think so. I think time will tell if it's going to be a novelty label. It's only been up and running for a short time. We need to give it/ her some time.
"I've got hair like them"

#7 suestev07

suestev07

injured butterfly is so talented, it hurts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:31 PM

maybe the answer is further down the article

"I didn't want it to be just a vanity project for her," he says. "It had to follow that the talent was just as inspiring and as exciting as she is."
Referring to Winehouse's suggestion to sign her goddaughter, Mr Beese says: "I could have been as cynical as the next person.
"But when I heard the voice and the potential talent, I knew that we were doing the deal for all the right reasons, and it wasn't the fact that she was Amy's goddaughter."

\"it was as if all the emotions in the universe suddenly were coming out of her mouth.\" --Entertainment Weekly music critic Chris Willman.

"It's open-heart surgery set to music" - Sunday Herald article by Peter Ross Jan 7/07

"Be kinder than necessary...because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." - Anon.

#8 Merlin

Merlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:32 PM

so Heshima is out of X factor :-S alright yes ~

#9 lyricgenius

lyricgenius

To my heart, she carries the key

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 12:33 AM

Given that Dionne is very good, you can't say that Lioness is a vanity label, at least not yet, even if the next several people Amy signs are her friends and they're just average. Having 1 hit artist out of several signed is probably par for the course for the music industry (I don't really know what I'm talking about here, just my impression). But if, after several years, she never signs another standout artist, and Lioness is mainly just her friends, then you could probably say it was a vanity label.
Posted Image
"Flawed yet fabulous, tormented yet towering"

#10 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 12:39 AM

Given that Dionne is very good, you can't say that Lioness is a vanity label, at least not yet, even if the next several people Amy signs are her friends and they're just average. Having 1 hit artist out of several signed is probably par for the course for the music industry (I don't really know what I'm talking about here, just my impression). But if, after several years, she never signs another standout artist, and Lioness is mainly just her friends, then you could probably say it was a vanity label.

It's something like 1 in 10, Dave - and can be as high as 1 in 15 - 20. The life of an A&R man/ woman is full of the highest highs and the lowest lows!

You're only as good as your last hit.

I read a rather amusing novel lately: 'Kill Your Friends' by former A&R man John Niven set in the cutthroat world of London music scene. I read it in 2 days. Good laugh.
"I've got hair like them"

#11 ohmr

ohmr

No sweeter song, no heart so true

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 05:24 AM

What's not a better opportunity than to start up a label and get friends that you admire into a project basically created for them to live out their dreams. I don't see what's wrong with that, vanity or not.

And to act as though Zalon isn't that talented, opinion as it may, is kind... ridiculous. However, his craft needs tailoring.

I do HOPE that Zalon and the rest put out ORIGINAL MUSIC.

#12 mister magic

mister magic

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:35 AM

I never said that Zalon wasn't talented. What I said was that his talent is mediocre at best-- he's got a great voice, but as a soloist, there's something lacking. For lack of a better expression, he doesn't have the "x factor", if you will, to be his own pop star. And no, it's not "ridiculous" to feel that way. I've worked for years at a major record label and consider myself well-versed in the ins and outs of the business. And even if I wasn't well-versed, no one's opinion is ridiculous, that's just rude.

And yeah, I think it's fine that once you're successful you want to bring your crew along for the ride. That means Amy's an awesome person who hasn't forgotten about her roots and the people who've stood by her, and it shows how supportive she is to those she loves. However, it doesn't make it a smart business move. I'm actually quite surprised Island is letting her get away with this-- I'm sorry, but with the current roster, I don't think they'll be making much money off of this imprint, but I hope they prove me wrong!

#13 Rockesquirrel

Rockesquirrel

I'm cuddly, bitch! Deal with it!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:39 PM

I never said that Zalon wasn't talented. What I said was that his talent is mediocre at best-- he's got a great voice, but as a soloist, there's something lacking. For lack of a better expression, he doesn't have the "x factor", if you will, to be his own pop star. And no, it's not "ridiculous" to feel that way. I've worked for years at a major record label and consider myself well-versed in the ins and outs of the business. And even if I wasn't well-versed, no one's opinion is ridiculous, that's just rude.

And yeah, I think it's fine that once you're successful you want to bring your crew along for the ride. That means Amy's an awesome person who hasn't forgotten about her roots and the people who've stood by her, and it shows how supportive she is to those she loves. However, it doesn't make it a smart business move. I'm actually quite surprised Island is letting her get away with this-- I'm sorry, but with the current roster, I don't think they'll be making much money off of this imprint, but I hope they prove me wrong!

We can all agree to disagree, in an agreeable manner. No need for putdowns nor insults. Maybe waiting and seeing what will happen, would be best. Many artists bought their friends and family along for the ride when creating their own record company. Hell, some of them became agents in that manner. Winehouse is a loyal person and a caring person, too. Can we agree to that?

On the record, I agree with Ms. mister magic. Yo.

Edited by Rockesquirrel, 13 October 2009 - 02:49 PM.

In this life, we each create our own heaven and hell. (Conversation overhead on the bus)

- 8-/

#14 PabloD

PabloD

We bathe under blue light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 02:41 PM

I pretty much agree with all this. I'm not sure signing people like Zalon and such is a good business move. He does have a good voice but that takes you nowhere if you don't have it. Most of my friends would be international superstars instead of backing vocalists if that was enough.

It's really nice of Amy wanting to sign all of her friends and such but not so smart yeah.

Dionne is nice and it could work as kid's music but I'm unsure of the rest...
Posted Image

#15 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:02 PM

I suspect that Amy's main consideration isn't vanity or making big profits, but insuring that her artists get a fair share of whatever revenue they generate. I'm sure Dionne & Zalon will receive a higher percentage from their sales than Amy ever has.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users