15 replies to this topic

#1 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:26 PM

I'm really not trying to put a label on Amy but after seeing shrinks for 25 years, I get curious as to what makes others tick.

Does anything sound familiar here? I'm no shrink, I just wonder.

Borderline Personality Disorder

•Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment

•A pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation

•Identity disturbance: markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense of self

•Impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g., spending, sex, substance abuse, reckless driving, binge eating)

•Recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, or threats, or self-mutilating behavior

•Affective instability due to a marked reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria, irritability, or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days)

•Chronic feelings of emptiness

•Inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper, constant anger, recurrent physical fights)

•Transient, stress-related paranoid ideation or severe dissociative symptoms

I'm just saying....

#2 shaylaxtx

shaylaxtx

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:17 AM

she has BPD for sure. no doubt about it. her unstable self image is so clearly manifesting itself which is evident from the painted on bizarre freckles to the sudden boob job, the childlike behavior which then erraticly can turn into violent behavior, the overwhelming need for approval she needs from Blake, i could go on and on. classic case.

#3 lyricgenius

lyricgenius

To my heart, she carries the key

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:24 AM

If she needs meds, the doctors must have told her that. So if she needs them but isn't taking them, it must be because she refuses to do so. That's the only conclusion I can come to.
Posted Image
"Flawed yet fabulous, tormented yet towering"

#4 Mama_Haze

Mama_Haze

Hazy Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:41 AM

Borderlines are really cool people.. ;)

I do see a little of my younger self in her behaviour, but I'm older, wiser, greyer, etc :).

I think speculation should be done with caution. BPD is a serious diagnosis, and is very commonly confused with bipolar, especially in women.

#5 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:18 AM

i agree with you MH. the several friends i know who have been diagnosed are very creative people, very interesting and intelligent-alot of fun. but, when things go wrong they really go wrong and it is a very scarey time. and often times they can get into serious trouble. it breaks my heart.

#6 Mama_Haze

Mama_Haze

Hazy Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:57 AM

Thing is, my borderline is pretty severe, but for the most part I can control myself, or at least take measures to remove myself from negative situations, people etc.

Amy seems to not have that control. Which makes me think it is not borderline.... but could also just be a youth thing. I did not make such endeavours to 'behave myself' when I was younger.

I was about Amys age when the pennies started to drop, and I started getting a grip and taking control of my life instead of drifting and apportioning blame elsewhere.

If she is borderline, she will grow and learn to handle it. She may even go into recovery (some of us do in or 30s).

For what it is worth, I am also unmedicated, through choice. I don't see this as a hindrance to my progress with thew condition... I just get on with it. I won't subdue my creativity to placate some two-bob doctor.

#7 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:37 AM

Meds, in general, aren't terribly effective with BPD. Therapy is better. With us bipolars, you are at very high risk without meds.

Symptoms overlap with these disorders and Amy may have neither one or a bit of both. The labels on MI drive me nuts, no really.

Bottom line on all of this? Make records so we don't have to talk about all of this hazara.

#8 Tara

Tara

This Bird Has Flown...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:22 AM

Marilyn Monroe is also thought, by some, to have been bipolar and borderline. Opinions vary though, and she was treated at a time when Freudian analysis was in vogue and drugs were dished out like candy. So that didn't help her case very much.

It just came to my mind again when both conditions were mentioned here. Marilyn struggled throughout her life with depression and addiction and even if she lost the battle in the end, I still consider her a wonderfully courageous, inspirational human being.

It's obvious Amy has some pyschological issues (whatever the diagnosis) - especially at the moment - and I hope that in time, she will find a way to make peace with herself. I mean Amy does look a lot healthier to me now than she did a year ago, so even though her behaviour is still very up and down, I have to respect her for making it this far.
Posted Image

'Memories mar my mind, love is a fate resigned'

#9 Rockesquirrel

Rockesquirrel

I'm cuddly, bitch! Deal with it!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:28 PM

Amy seems to not have that control. Which makes me think it is not borderline.... but could also just be a youth thing. I did not make such endeavours to 'behave myself' when I was younger.

I think Winehouse knows mostly what she's doing, her father stated in a recent interview, she likes to draw attention. I seem to recall part of the interview when Mr. Winehouse states that Amy drew attention at a parking lot by faking illness. Also, saw a recent interview with Drew Barrymore who admitted there wasn't any discipline in her upbringing, hence her 'wild child' demeanor. Anyone recalls the David Letterman show when she flashed him? The declarations for mental illness, could be said for Madonna, David Lee Roth, Frank Sinatra, or any other celebrity with impulse issues.

Bottom line, Phil and Mama Haze are correct, there are some underlying mental issues with Winehouse. Much to her detriment she choose not to address or treat these problems, IMHO they are affecting how her career is progressing. Good topic!!!

Edited by Rockesquirrel, 28 October 2009 - 12:31 PM.

In this life, we each create our own heaven and hell. (Conversation overhead on the bus)

- 8-/

#10 Mama_Haze

Mama_Haze

Hazy Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:26 PM

The thing with BPD, especially in young females is, the culpability of one's actions are a very grey area.

The 'borderline' part of the label refers to the borderline we sometimes walk between neurosis and psychosis. Although the psychosis is transient and usually relatively mild, it does exist, and it's entirely possible for a borderline to be both aware and unaware of their actions simultaneously.

Even the need for attention is ambigious; one can be crying out for it openly whilst also hating oneself for feeling the need to do so.

I grew out of all this.... and learnt how to manage the inner child :) It's not easy but it is doable. You have to nurture them, but not to the exclusivity of one's adult needs. The inner child should not be in control the same way any child should not be in control of a domestic or adult situation.

#11 Rockesquirrel

Rockesquirrel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:09 PM

Even the need for attention is ambigious; one can be crying out for it openly whilst also hating oneself for feeling the need to do so.

I grew out of all this.... and learnt how to manage the inner child :) It's not easy but it is doable. You have to nurture them, but not to the exclusivity of one's adult needs. The inner child should not be in control the same way any child should not be in control of a domestic or adult situation.

It's great for you sharing your info, MH. I think there is too much gray area to be making 'blanket statements'. I really hope that Winehouse gets tired of the hamster wheel she's made for herself and decide to get help. Like many substance abusers, many people suffering from mental maladies are just too proud and too ashamed (deep down) to reach out.
In this life, we each create our own heaven and hell. (Conversation overhead on the bus)

- 8-/

#12 Rockesquirrel

Rockesquirrel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:21 PM

Ooops, I posted this on the wrong thread: http://health.msn.co...00108578&page=2

- 8-/

#13 Mama_Haze

Mama_Haze

Hazy Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:48 AM

Sharing is important in the mission to end stigma :)

If more people spoke out, it would decrease overnight, as acceptance would grow. I have lost friends over this; notably, one recently told me, 'You must be a hypocondriac, because people with mental illnesses do not talk about them as much as you.'

Well, excuse me, Dr fuckin' Freud!!

When I was at school, we were taiught about religious differences, AIDS and HIV, physical disability, ageism, racism, etc....we were taught social acceptance of all kinds, but nothing about mental illness. It needs to be on the curriculum IMO.

I will keep talking until the world listens :) Someone has to.

#14 Rockesquirrel

Rockesquirrel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:39 PM

Sharing is caring, damn it!

- 8-/

#15 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:10 PM

I will keep talking until the world listens Someone has to.

I have friends with PTSD, BPD, depression, etc. We compare notes, we get pissed off, we get pissed on. Nobody really understands these diseases unless they've been there. That's their problem, not mine.

It's a tough row to hoe. As I often say when someone says something idiotic about MI...fuck 'em.

I can be moody here too. lol It's the nature of the beast. You can always talk to me D.

Edited by pearljo, 29 October 2009 - 01:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users