53 replies to this topic

#31 lyricgenius

lyricgenius

To my heart, she carries the key

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:11 AM

"She's a lady, talking about that little lady, she's got style, she's got grace, what she's got is hard to find..."
Posted Image
"Flawed yet fabulous, tormented yet towering"

#32 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:28 AM

Daily Mail

Now that's what I call music: The 50 best albums of the Noughties

1. AMY WINEHOUSE: Back To Black (Island, 2006)
NOBODY addressed their demons in song quite like Amy. The female singer of the decade teamed up with Mark Ronson on a timeless album of raw pop and classic soul. Key track: Rehab.

http://www.dailymail...-Noughties.html

Edited by Lainey, 11 December 2009 - 12:30 AM.

"I've got hair like them"

#33 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 01:15 AM

Rolling Stone

20. Amy Winehouse
BACK TO BLACK
Universal, 2007

It's hard to recall, before the tabloid barking drowned out all else, how fresh this sounded — how funny, hip, instantly classic. Producer Mark Ronson, with help from a band of devoted soul revivalists, conjured golden-era sounds with a sample-sculpting hip-hop edge. Winehouse, a tatted 23-year-old with a beehive crown, matched that spirit, cussing, cracking wise and casually breaking your heart. Her triumph triggered a resurgence of R&B traditionalism. But it also kicked open the mainstream door for pop oddballs from Lily Allen to Lady Gaga. Let's hope Winehouse and her fuck-me pumps stride back one day.

http://www.rollingst...f_the_decade/28

#34 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 02:44 AM

NPR lists "The Decade's 50 Most Important Recordings" in alphabetical order. I saw an even hipper list somewhere where Amy didn't even make the top 100!

Back to Black

Artist: Amy Winehouse
Song: Rehab

For all the endless, paparazzi-baiting spectacle of drugs, alcohol and divorce, it's easy to forget how talented Amy Winehouse is. A skinny, tattooed, rat-haired kid from London who takes vocal cues from Sarah Vaughan or even Billie Holiday, Winehouse was just 23 when Back to Black was released in 2007. Her lesser-known debut, Frank, had showcased Winehouse's jazz-inflected singing and skill at balancing bitterness with wry humor. But it was Mark Ronson -- the London-born, New York-based DJ and record producer -- whose influence helped land the best-selling Back to Black on this list. And, of course, it helped that the funk/soul revivalists in The Dap-Kings were there to make her songs pop. -- Meredith Ochs

http://www.npr.org/t...=120326033#list

#35 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:30 PM

From timesonline's 50 People of the Decade - right behind Borat:

23 AMY WINEHOUSE Singer/songwriter
Amy Winehouse is an icon of the decade for the best and worst of reasons. Blessed with a breathtakingly beautiful voice she is also cursed with a monstrously ugly capacity to self-destruct. She is a living contradiction, an authentic tortured genius, the beehived real deal who does not just sing about emotional pain, but lives it before our very eyes like a slow-mo car crash.
Her body – track-marked, bloodied, hollow-eyed – is the antithesis of the bland, buff-bodied boy bands that fill the charts, yet she provides the most musical nourishment. She might be slight and have 70 per cent lung capacity due to emphysema, but she can still out-sing them all, including, ironically, the ultra-healthy Madonna. That she can be so admired yet ruin herself with drugs, alcohol and self-harm makes her a pin-up for genuine emotional vulnerability.
But while she may have blemished a decade whose drug habit made the Sixties look chaste, Winehouse is also alien to it. Not for her the smug spreads in Hello!. Her husband (now her ex) was in jail and the photographs that made the papers were of her blackened fingernails, deadened eyes and bloodied ballet pumps. Frame by frame we saw her heart breaking.
Her 2006 album, Back to Black, was voted No 2 in a recent poll of the best albums of the Noughties. Some believe it should have been No 1, because undoubtedly hers was the voice of the decade, and we have thus far seen only a fraction of her talent. Carol Midgley

http://women.timeson...ffset=84&page=8

#36 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:30 PM

oops! hurr derp derp derp!

Edited by Alan48, 11 December 2009 - 09:32 PM.
dopey!

#37 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 03:04 AM

well, well, well..it seems Rolling Stone has come to their senses. They probably received so much heat for ranking B2B 40th on the best of list for 2007 that they have reconsidered as they have done sooooo many times over the years. i hate to tell you what they wrote about Abbey Road when it was released, only to eat crow years later.

now, can i tell you how i really feel about RS?:lol:

#38 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 02:55 AM

San Jose Mercury News

8. "Back to Black," Amy Winehouse (2007): Our award for the decade's most welcome reprise goes to the retro-soul revival. Winehouse led the charge, paving the way for new artists Adele and Duffy as well as inspiring such established acts as Tom Jones and Raphael Saadiq. No other artist, however, would release anything as convincingly sassy and dramatically beautiful as "Back to Black." It's such a great album that our top music-related wish for the new decade is for Winehouse to get her act together and release a suitable follow-up.

http://www.mercuryne...ies/ci_13977830

#39 kevd7

kevd7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:09 AM

oops

#40 kevd7

kevd7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:10 AM

amazon.co.uk weighs in....

http://www.telegraph...-of-decade.html

Top 10 best-selling albums of the decade:

1. Only by the Night – Kings of Leon

2. Back To Black – Amy Winehouse

3. X&Y – Coldplay

4. The Circus – Take That

5. Hopes and Fears – Keane

6. Rockferry – Duffy

7. Come Away with Me – Norah Jones

8. Eyes Open – Snow Patrol

9. Scissor Sisters – Scissor Sisters

10. Day & Age – The Killers

Top 10 best-selling artists of the decade:

1. The Beatles

2. Take That

3. The Killers

4. Coldplay

5. Michael Jackson

6. Snow Patrol

7. Robbie Williams

8. Bob Dylan

9. U2

10. Kings Of Leon

#41 kevd7

kevd7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 04:38 PM

40 albums that defined the decade...

Amy Winehouse, "Back To Black" (2006) For about two years, no artist was discussed more than Winehouse. Musically, she was a compelling force of nature; offstage, her private life was a disaster. How many other artists can have a rise, a fall and a shot at redemption within a year and half?

http://www.livedaily...cade-21012.html

#42 antceleb12

antceleb12

And I'm singing this song for you...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:06 PM

Love the article. Yet nothing can truly sum up how genius that piece of art is.
Posted Image

"Amy is amazing. It's as if Bille Holiday and Dianh Washington had a baby and it was raised by Janice Joplin." - jazzblowin on youtube

#43 lyricgenius

lyricgenius

To my heart, she carries the key

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:02 AM

Probably would piss Amy off if she knew she was third behind Dido. As for James Blunt, like the music critic said on Girl Done Good, Amy blows guys like him away.

December 29, 2009, 2:49 pm
Brits Love Blunt
By BEN SISARIO

A lot of very popular albums were released by British acts over the last 10 years. The Beatles’ “1,” which came out in 2000 and became the decade’s biggest-seller in the United States. Amy Winehouse’s “Back to Black,” that was huge. Several big ones by Coldplay and Radiohead. But the most popular album among British listeners was James Blunt’s “Back to Bedlam,” from 2004, Billboard reported. Aided by the ubiquitous single “You’re Beautiful,” it sold 3.1 million copies in Britain through 2008, according to the Official UK Charts Company, which tabulates record sales there. (The company will be releasing full sales data on Friday.) The second-biggest album in Britain was Dido’s “No Angel,” released in 1999, followed by “Back to Black” (2006), Leona Lewis’s “Spirit” (2007) and David Gray’s “White Ladder” (1998). The Beatles’ “1” was No. 6, and The top album by an American act was the Scissor Sisters’ self-titled debut, from 2004, at No. 9.

http://artsbeat.blog...its-love-blunt/
Posted Image
"Flawed yet fabulous, tormented yet towering"

#44 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:24 AM

Probably would piss Amy off if she knew she was third behind Dido. As for James Blunt, like the music critic said on Girl Done Good, Amy blows guys like him away.

Shit! They just changed/watered down the headline for this! It originally was: "British Taste Called Into Question"

Are you still smarting over Nickelback being named America's top-charting rock group of the decade? Take some solace in another nation's shame: According to Billboard, James Blunt’s Back to Bedlam — yeah, the one with “You’re Beautiful” on it — is the U.K.’s biggest album of the decade. Oh man, over here, we were only into that guy for like five minutes! U–S–A! U–S–A!

http://nymag.com/dai...even_worse.html

#45 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:40 PM

Oh, God. James Blunt. F-ing terrible stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users