Photo
- - - - -

Back to Black - Albums of 2000s

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#46 Winehousedrunk

Winehousedrunk

The sky above, a blaze that only lovers see..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:51 PM

“You’re Beautiful” Yeah, yeah, shut up already, or we'll be in softie rehab before New Year. I have nothing against softies, b.t.w., but one can only go so far until reaching the gentlest soul's breaking point, and Mr. Blunt has reached mine. The Carpenters, on the other hand, I can always listen to, as Karen's voice is brilliant and unsentimental enough never to bore the filling out of the duvet. And Amy? Well, her talent equals Karen's, and there all comparison ends (I hope).
Amy Winehouse died, and she's taken a part of my soul with her. May that part be the love that I felt for her, and may the love that I still feel for her be the undying part of us both.

#47 Moody's Mood

Moody's Mood

You sent me flying

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:08 PM

On a side note.. There's this music program in Holland at the end of each year were everyone can vote for the top 2000 songs of all time and then there's a countdown on tv and radio. Yesterday the commentator and the music 'professor' (who knows so insanely much about music I'm considering having his babies) played Rehab and were pretty much complaining that it wasn't higher up the list. They said it was top 15 material and were raving a bit about Amy being mighty wicked.

They can do no wrong. <3

Randomness, this. I know.
What is your greatest fear?
Amy: "Dying old or never meeting Tony Bennett; if I never get to meet him, I might as well be dead."

#48 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:13 PM

forgot to mention, Dido is on there twice...Amy must be furious:

UK Top 10 Albums of the 2000's

1. James Blunt - Back To Bedlam
2. Dido - No Angel
3. Amy Winehouse - Back to Black
4. Leona Lewis - Spirit
5. David Gray - White Ladder
6. The Beatles - 1
7. Dido - Life For Rent
8. Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood To The Head
9. Scissor Sisters - Scissor Sisters
10. Take That - Beautiful World
http://www.411mania....-The-Decade.htm
Leona who? :lol:
The Beatles have the best selling album of the decade in the US, while Eminem passed them by 2 million to be the best selling artist. A measly 2 million, over a band that's 40 some odd years old whose songs aren't on itunes. let's hear it for the Fab Four!!! That Eminem gets mentioned in the same breath as the Beatles is very depressing imo.

Edited by kevd7, 30 December 2009 - 08:26 PM.

#49 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:41 PM

^ TY Kev. Eminem and Beatles in same breath - ugh!

I'm just curious - what's up with The Beatles not being on itunes? Is it McCartney that's holding it up? It sucks!

Edit

From The Guardian's blog in response to Best Selling Albums story - L-O-L!

alias 43
30 Dec 2009, 11:25AM

We have the audacity to often refer to other nations for being culturally inferior.
James Blunt's success is a disgrace.
We're a country of morons.
We're fucking doomed.

http://www.guardian....blunt-top-album

Edited by Lainey, 30 December 2009 - 09:00 PM.

"I've got hair like them"

#50 kevd7

kevd7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:36 PM

^^ LMAO I saw that comment. imo, the same could be applied here with regards to Eminem's popularity.

found this about The Beatles and itunes situation..

"That depends on EMI (owners of the Beatles' recordings and their copyrights), Apple Corps Ltd. (the Beatles' company), and Apple Inc. (owners of iTunes). The Beatles' catalog has only recently been remastered and reissued; EMI and Apple Corps will likely not give the go-ahead until sales of the remastered CDs have slowed down.

Despite some common beliefs, neither Paul McCartney nor the estate of the late Michael Jackson own or control the recorded music of the Beatles. Jackson owned Northern Songs; a music publishing company, which holds the copyrights to most of the Beatles' music (i.e. the right to publish scores of the songs, record or arrange them commercially, or perform them in public), but sold half-interest to Sony Music in the 1990s.

There is a substantial difference between ownership of a recording, ownership in the COPYRIGHT to a recording, and ownership of music publishing. Jackson's death makes no difference to the timing of releases of Beatles recordings, in any form.

Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and the estates of John Lennon and George Harrison still own and control Apple Corps. Apple owns or controls most of the Beatles' films and videos, and supervises new releases of old Beatles material. Not every choice goes smoothly; McCartney wanted the experimental "Carnival Of Light" included on The Beatles Anthology, but Harrison and Starr blocked it.

Apple Corps was also in a ten-year dispute with EMI over royalties, and a long trademarking dispute with Apple Inc. over their becoming a music distributor. While these issues were settled, problems may remain for marketing the Beatles' music online"

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_will_the_Beatles'_music_be_on_iTunes

#51 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:28 PM

^ Thank you so much, Kev. A very complex issue. Legalities - sigh. I'm sure the lawyers have done nicely out of this.

#52 kevd7

kevd7

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 02:53 AM

another list anyone?

http://blogs.creativ...-of-the-decade/

i liked this comment---
"The final top 10 is pretty solid collection of albums, but it's also a sad state of affairs for current music when the only representation for the final half of the decade is Amy Winehouse."

#53 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 01:28 PM

Why can't everyone quit dissing Amy? I'm reaching my limit.

#54 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:59 PM

http://www.timeslive...ticle294325.ece

BACK TO BLACK, Amy Winehouse

Back in 2007, Amy Winehouse made good on the promise of her Brit Award nominated debut, Frank (2003), with the release of an album that remains an exceptional listen three years on. Since then, her career has been overtaken by miles and miles of tabloid coverage that focus on Winehouse looking disheveled (yet again), drugged out (yet again) and desperate (yet again). But no one ever said gifted creative talents came in bow-tied conventional packages - and what an immense gift Winehouse has. Sure, producer Mark Ronson helped flesh out the vintage soul sound that suffused Back To Black but the scorching vocals, the intimate and direct lyrics and the heart at the centre of the album were all Winehouse's.

Looking back, there are easy pickings in the song's titles (among them Rehab, and You Know I'm No Good) and these days her personal life has spawned a whole, cruel side-industry - including, horrifyingly, a website called "whenwillamywinehousedie". But none of it should detract from the instant classic that was Back To Black nor its long-awaited 2010 follow-up.

Without this album, no: Adele, Joss Stone, Duffy. or reminder that Brit girls got soul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users