44 replies to this topic

#16 Iulian

Iulian

against, not cause I believe it. just fun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:17 PM

I don't expect this album to be on the level of BTB.

Thank you!

I usually take an album by itself, I will NEVER compare 2 albums from the same artist.

#17 Mono

Mono

down

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:33 PM

please no snoop dogg, that guy has lost his credibility at the pussycat doll's camp and many other places..lol

mos def would be the best thing ever.

#18 Moody's Mood

Moody's Mood

You sent me flying

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:06 PM

Thank you!

I usually take an album by itself, I will NEVER compare 2 albums from the same artist.

Actually, I will compare and there is a very good chance I'll be disappointed. BTB is brilliant and right now I don't see how she can top it. I think she will have a hard time even coming close to it, quality wise. I'm just not sure she still has it like that. Also, I'm not happy about all the ska talk. If this is going to be some sort of monkey man ay ay ay album, it would be a huge step down imo. That's not the kind of music she excels in. Not at all.

Btw, doubt the hiphop rumors are true. Didn’t she say ages ago that she was kind of over the hiphop thing? Hope so anyway. I’m cool with hiphop, but I hate collabos.
What is your greatest fear?
Amy: "Dying old or never meeting Tony Bennett; if I never get to meet him, I might as well be dead."

#19 Iulian

Iulian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:33 PM

^ You got your point, but I don't really believe in "best album" "X is better than Y", it just feels dumb saying this in art.

B2B is THE album, I agree that it's almost impossible to top it. It might be (hope not) like Rupert Holmes' Escape, the piece that ruined his career, so good that nothing after counts, but I like to see each album as an .. era? Yeah, something like that. When one era ends, another one begins. It's hard for me to put this into words (damn English), but I'll give it a try: Frank and B2B are 2 albums and it just happens to be signed Amy Winehouse, but it doesn't feel like that when I listen to them. Just like Got to Find a Way and New World Order. Or I Want You and Midnight Love.

#20 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:50 PM

i tend to look at an artists work as a progression. i think we all agree she is indeed an artist in the true sense of the word unlike alot of people in the industry who refer to themselves as artists these days. In the words of Joni Mitchell, "nobody ever said to Van Gough 'paint another starry night again, man...he painted it once and that was it'." Frankly, I'd be a bit dissapointed if she didn't depart from B2B in a big way. A real artist gives out alot for their audience to grow and feed on. Guess the problem these days is record companies have the ultimate power to shelve anything they think would make them a bizillion bucks.
I would love to see her work with Pharrell Williams. He's really terrific imo

#21 Moody's Mood

Moody's Mood

You sent me flying

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:11 PM

I agree with both of you. To clarify myself, I'm mostly concerned with comparing the quality of both albums, not the form or content. I'm not asking for a BTB Volume 2. I'm just hoping she can get on that level again. If not, I'm going to get the album, listen to it.. and as hard as I would try not to, I know I will still be disappointed if she doesn't deliver the way I know she can deliver. That's the truth, just being honest here. So yes, I'm all for growth and departure, but I also realize she’s set the standard very high and so I personally feel it’s best if I don’t get my hopes up too much.
Amy: "Dying old or never meeting Tony Bennett; if I never get to meet him, I might as well be dead."

#22 Iulian

Iulian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:44 PM

I think I get it.. you're afraid for example that she would drop the soulful music and lyrics? Like.. Monkey man compared to love is a losing game?

#23 Rockesquirrel

Rockesquirrel

I'm cuddly, bitch! Deal with it!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:58 PM

Would anyone be disappointed, if Winehouse's new album was like, "Frank"? I liked it better than B2B. Yes, I know.....I'm a heretic. :)
In this life, we each create our own heaven and hell. (Conversation overhead on the bus)

- 8-/

#24 Moody's Mood

Moody's Mood

You sent me flying

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:01 PM

I think I get it.. you're afraid for example that she would drop the soulful music and lyrics? Like.. Monkey man compared to love is a losing game?

Hmm something like that, yeah. Amy excels in writing and conveying emotion through music. The profound lyrics and raw emotion is what makes BTB brilliant and Amy nothing less than legend material. So what I want from the next album is that she creates quality music that she emotionally connects to herself and that others can connect to in a way that's a little deeper than having fun performing some sort of weird winehousian choreography to "ay ay ay". If it’s very different from BTB, that’s fine, as long as the elements that make her so good are present in the music.. and I personally don’t see that happening if she starts making ska music.

Again, it's not about making something similar to BTB, but making something as good as BTB.

#25 crol

crol

i'm not ashamed, but the guilt will kill you

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:01 PM

in some ways it would be freeing for this album to be a failure. at least she could get it out of the way, drop out of the media spotlight for a bit and just do whatever the hell she wants to without trying to live up to past glories.

#26 kevd7

kevd7

Soaked in soul he swims in my eyes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:13 PM

i hear you, Amy has set a very high standard based on what she has delivered thus far. She has established herself as an extremely important artist in a music culture that seems to reward mediocrity over excellence. She stands apart from the rest.

Aretha got alot of flack for the album that followed "I Never Loved A Man The Way I Love You" (talk about a classic soul album). It was called "Aretha Arrives" and was considered a dissapointment by many given what came before it. But she came back with "Aretha Now" and with that album was back in everyone's good graces.

"will the next one in the nest glitter for them so"-Joni Mitchell
time will tell.

#27 Sassy

Sassy

I’m just a very whimsical person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:32 AM

For the Roses. Good on ya Kev!

#28 Trouble

Trouble

Just No Good

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:38 AM

Would anyone be disappointed, if Winehouse's new album was like, "Frank"? I liked it better than B2B. Yes, I know.....I'm a heretic. :)

It's interesting to hear that. I'll be frank (sorry, bad pun, never again) and say I like BTB best. However, there are a lot more subtle, hidden gems on Frank in my opinion. On BTB I heard each song once or twice and it stuck and I knew instantly that the lyrics, the music, the voice were perfect. Frank, though, it took a lot of patience and re-listening for anything more than a couple of tracks to take with me. I still don't love every track but I can at least appreciate now that it is a lot better than what I first fobbed it off as.

All just my opinion, people will disagree, naturally...

#29 Winehousedrunk

Winehousedrunk

The sky above, a blaze that only lovers see..

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 02:03 AM

Being frank as well, I admit preferring the company of young, sensitive Frank, though I'm content going forward to the glorious past of B2B, and excited going back to the future of alternate fusions... but I'm ever expectant in the present unknown, as far as Amy's creative work is concerned. In other words, we'll see what we'll see and we'll hear what we'll hear when it arrives, and then we'll know what it is. I hope I wasn't too vague.;-)
Amy Winehouse died, and she's taken a part of my soul with her. May that part be the love that I felt for her, and may the love that I still feel for her be the undying part of us both.

#30 Iulian

Iulian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:47 PM

Again, it's not about making something similar to BTB, but making something as good as BTB.

See, there is my problem. Not quite a problem, but I can't find other word. I just don't see an album as best as, worse, better than other. I take every piece by itself.

Again, I see B2B made expectation up to God for everyone. Not for me though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users