65 replies to this topic

#31 lyricgenius

lyricgenius

To my heart, she carries the key

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:44 AM

On B2B I've been listening to LIALG and Wake Up Alone.

Overall, I've always been partial to You Sent Me Flying, which I'm listening to now. I think it's a prototypical Amy song because it's about heartache (probably her first heartache), and as you listen, she struggles with it but then her gorgeous, passionate voice just soars and she ends up turning the emotional pain into a thing of beauty. That was Amy in a nutshell.
Posted Image
"Flawed yet fabulous, tormented yet towering"

#32 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:34 PM

Has anyone heard 'My Destructive Side' by 'Vinni MC & Amy Winehouse' from 2009? It's a vinyl remix & uses the refrain from 'what is it about men'. I've only heard about a minute of it. I kind of like it. I was not expecting to.

Part of the rap is sweet. 'Stay with us, darling' 'I love you kid' 'Care for ya, We're here for ya'

If anyone knows anything about this - was it really released on Lioness Records?

FYI - I searched here, and found the thread Re: Vinni MC? Am I just a mug?. He's not some clown on youtube or myspace or a troll - that's some other Vinni. He is/ was a DJ with a hip hop group named Hijack.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Hijack_(band)

Edit: I finally found this, so it looks like it was released on Lioness after all, but never publicized?

http://www.chemical-...rack=LIONESS002

After reading the Vinni MC thread, I'm wondering if he did indeed meet with Amy in St. Lucia, but they were unable to record anything, so Lioness let him issue 'My Destructive Side' on the label?

I may have completely missed this whole story at some point, so any info anyone has about this is appreciated!

Edited by Lainey, 01 September 2011 - 01:37 AM.

"I've got hair like them"

#33 catouplik

catouplik

Help yourself

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:33 PM

I've been listening to Some Unholy War (Salaam Remi alternative version) a lot. Incredible. I will never tire of listening to it.

I remember Amy jokingly mention that someone said it sounded like a 'funeral' or like 'death'. Since Salaam produced it, and Amy seemed to prefer it, do we know who made the choice for the final cut? Management? Salaam? Amy herself?

The current version is OK, but it was never one of my favorites. The ska sound + tempo didn't seem to mesh with the lyrics. Then I heard the alternative version on the deluxe disc, and it made much more sense (to me).

I really, really wish that this version was chosen to be on Back to Black, because I want more people to hear it. I try to spread the word as much as I can!

Some unholy war down tempo, mostly the live versions, is my all time favorite of Amy. Brought tears to my eyes so many times. So much soul in this song..

#34 LondonSweet

LondonSweet

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:41 AM

LIALG - the acoustic as swsw in Texas
Umm...most definitely You Sent me flying and then gahh so many! TDOTO and take the Box!! :'(
Nikki
Forever the fan of a musical Genius.

Winehouse~1983-2011
Remember her
8-/

#35 Sir' Taurean

Sir' Taurean

Mr. Magic!!!!!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:39 PM

Some unholy war down tempo, mostly the live versions, is my all time favorite of Amy. Brought tears to my eyes so many times. So much soul in this song..

Agreed.

SIGNATURE REMOVED. PLEASE MAKE SURE SIGNATURE DOES NOT EXCEED 500x200 PIXELS.

#36 BitterSweet92

BitterSweet92

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:12 AM

Back to Black and Tears Dry on Their Own. Tears Dry on Their Own always cheers me up a bit.

#37 AJW4eva

AJW4eva

In the morning you're vexed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 02:35 PM

Addicted and Wake Up Alone. I went through a stage of having Fuck me Pumps on repeat for hours every day. Makes me laugh...funny girl x I should listen to it again.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#38 songwriter

songwriter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:10 PM

It has to be Love is a Losing Game. I think that will be a classic for decades to come.

#39 Sassy

Sassy

I’m just a very whimsical person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:53 PM

He Can Only Hold Her

#40 SteveV

SteveV

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:58 PM

Can I have more than one? 1)Long Day 2)Wake Up Alone 3)Valerie (video) live at BBC sessions Jan 10, 2007

Edited by SteveV, 24 September 2011 - 10:21 PM.

#41 Ma_Jo

Ma_Jo

Deepvoicegirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 08:38 AM

"Love is a Losing Game" and "In my Bed"

#42 Winehouse Winette.x

Winehouse Winette.x

Self Professed. Profound.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:27 PM

Oh my gosh this is such a hard question because there isn't one amy song i dislike and i play all of her songs from both albums and all the b sides and extras. :) But i don't know i've always had a thing for In My Bed...it's hypnotic and she's so seductive and the lyric interpretation is so intriguing, just seriously has always had me under such a spell that i play it on repeat all the time. x
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You'll Never Get My Mind Right Like 2 Ships Passing In The Night.

Amy Jade Winehouse = The modern day Billie Holiday & Dinah Washington.

#43 Birdieava

Birdieava

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 06:05 PM

It has to be Love is a Losing Game. I think that will be a classic for decades to come.

Yes! Me too! I just learned the chords on the piano ... and her poetry filled my veins .... God bless her!!! <3

#44 Amber

Amber

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:14 AM

I'm with Winette, most all of them I love to different degrees, but I have been listening to the acustic version You should be stronger than me alot.B-) Just came across it on You Tube~downloaded it, converted it to MP3. Love Love Love her vocals!!

#45 Sassy

Sassy

I’m just a very whimsical person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:18 AM

Do Me Good

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users