469 replies to this topic

#466 PabloD

PabloD

We bathe under blue light

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:56 AM

I can't think of many people who's voice remain so intact after so many years. I'd sign anywhere to have a quarter of his present vocal talents and I'm only 26.
Posted Image

#467 LucyGoose

LucyGoose

Think love and wear a smile...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:05 PM

It seems people don't feel the way we do about Amy. Reading the NY Times review about the MTV awards to see what they said and the reviewer was a teeny bit nasty (Bruno Mars drew the short straw?! Tony Bennett was rambling?):

There was also a pleasant but not thrilling performance by Pitbull and Ne-Yo, a chaotic jumble of acrobatics and nostalgia by Chris Brown, a stoic display of craftsmanship by Adele, and a slick turn by Bruno Mars, who drew the short straw and paid tribute to Amy Winehouse. He’s not her vocal equal, and the song he performed, “Valerie,” isn’t nearly her best. (The performance was better, though, than the interminable introduction-eulogy given by Russell Brand and the rambling one by Tony Bennett.)

Full article here with pic of stage and Amy: http://www.nytimes.c...esh-mouths.html

#468 Lainey

Lainey

Just Friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:43 PM

^ I think this guy's comment re: Bruno drawing the 'short straw' is actually meant as a huge compliment to Amy. That is, Bruno had a daunting, almost unenviable task ahead of him, and that no-one wanted to draw the short straw, since she was truly in a league of her own, and impossible to match. At least, that's how I interpreted it - that it would take someone special to do justice to her memory.

So, all things considered, I think Mr. Mars did a great job. Thank goodness they didn't have some 'yodeler' attempting one of Amy's own songs. I'm not going to name any names, in case anyone gets upset, but I can think of one or two!

As for the Times writer's comments on Russell and Tony. I definitely don't agree with him there. Russell 'interminable'? Oh, DO eff off. Russell's remarks were, to me, from the heart and I loved his slightly bonkers delivery. He's an eccentric, get over it! What would he rather have? Some empty headed 'celeb' (who probably never even met Amy) reading lines that they didn't even write, from an autocue in a monotone?

As for his remarks about Tony - he needs to show some RESPECT to an elderly gentleman who was and is a class act. Rambling, indeed! Cheeky f----er! The guy is in his eighties, and he can still bring it!

Edited by Lainey, 31 August 2011 - 06:31 PM.

"I've got hair like them"

#469 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:03 PM

if the audience had any respect for music history, style, class or talent, they should have given tony a standing ovation for just gracing their foul mouthed stage. i'm serious.
we'll see how their careers are in 60 years.

#470 Mb3

Mb3

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:41 AM

I didn't expect much of these VMAs so I wasn't disappointed in what I saw but I've to admit that even though I don't care about Brunos Mars music his performance was nice. He did the best he could do.
Mb3, proud to be a member of Amy Winehouse Forums since Jan 2008.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users