46 replies to this topic

#1 iheartblondie

iheartblondie

When I come back, you'll know.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:01 PM

Okay, I'm not one to analyze lyrics at all, but I just figured I would since there's a forum for it here.

What does she mean by
"Aside from Sammy, you're my best black jew" Does anybody know who she's talking about? And what does this mean: "Mr. Destiny, 9 and 14" Is she somehow referring to her birthday? Or do I have that lyric completely wrong? Lol

#2 Elsie

Elsie

eek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:06 PM

Sammy = Sammy Davis Jr, I presume. He was a black jew. I'm guessing the guy who made her miss the gig in the song was also.
Nas and her shared birthdays, he is Mister Jones, so yes she's referring to both of their birthdays. :)

He still stands in spite of what his Mars bar says.

#3 iheartblondie

iheartblondie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:17 PM

oh ok, cool I knew about the Sammy Davis Jr part, though. I just thought there was something I missed. That's cool that the song is about Nas and NOT Blake.

#4 Alan48

Alan48

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,607 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:21 PM

Destiny is Nas' daughter's name. Amy & Nas were born 10 yrs apart, to the day.

#5 Dani14

Dani14

You're the sweetest thing I've ever known

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationGreece/Piraeus

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:13 PM

I have a question... I recently got Back to Black again because the 1st one was in bad condition and i had missed the lyrics.

So i was reading the lyrics of Rehab and it says "Yes i've been black but when i come back no no no". Doesn't she says "you'll know know know"?

They've done a typo right?

60do5Ti.jpg

#6 lolainas

lolainas

Never Clip My Wings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:04 PM

I have a question... I recently got Back to Black again because the 1st one was in bad condition and i had missed the lyrics.

So i was reading the lyrics of Rehab and it says "Yes i've been black but when i come back no no no". Doesn't she says "you'll know know know"?

They've done a typo right?

As far I know she says you'll know, know, know. :dunno:

.why dont you come on over, Valerie?

"It's not important to me to make other people at ease. I am difficult, but that's because I don’t really give a fuck."

#7 africanfusion

africanfusion

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:13 PM

yeah i think the booklet has some mistakes in it.

there are errors on the frank cd too, i have two copies & one has a song called 'what it is' while the other its titled 'what is it' lol

#8 crol

crol

i'm not ashamed, but the guilt will kill you

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:48 AM

Me and Mr Jones is about her ex George, a concert promoter, who somehow missed out on Slick Rick tickets for Amy
Amy and George:
Posted Image

#9 leannaf

leannaf

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:47 PM

yes in the back to black book where the words are written there is quite a few typos and thats one of them. i noticed a lot dont know how they can do that though :-S

#10 leannaf

leannaf

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:55 PM

the song take the box what is it about? i saw a live version somewhere on youtube for bbc i think and she says im going to sing the most depressing song ever to me what did she me i wonder what it is about

#11 MDPA

MDPA

"We all become what we once hated"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:31 PM

I have a question! In love is a losing game does she say "Though i battle blind" or "Though im rather blind"?

#12 Dani14

Dani14

You're the sweetest thing I've ever known

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationGreece/Piraeus

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:30 PM

It must be "Though i battle blind". Yes it is, i listened to it and watched the lyrics.

60do5Ti.jpg

#13 iheartblondie

iheartblondie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:19 AM

Ok, like I said, I've never felt compelled to analyze lyrics before until I came across Amy's music and then all of a sudden I just got really curious about her words and that lovely, peculiar phrasing...

Anyway, what does she mean by "Run out to me, your chips and pitta"? Is she talking about gambling??

And "Hand me your stella and fly"...I'm gonna sound stupid for this one, but is she talking about a guitar (Stella guitar) or is she talking about a drink? I've never known what those 2 lines meant!

#14 iheartblondie

iheartblondie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:21 AM

the song take the box what is it about? i saw a live version somewhere on youtube for bbc i think and she says im going to sing the most depressing song ever to me what did she me i wonder what it is about

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Take_the_Box

#15 lyricgenius

lyricgenius

To my heart, she carries the key

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:07 AM

Anyway, what does she mean by "Run out to me, your chips and pitta"? Is she talking about gambling??

And "Hand me your stella and fly"...I'm gonna sound stupid for this one, but is she talking about a guitar (Stella guitar) or is she talking about a drink? I've never known what those 2 lines meant!

"chips" is British for french fries. "pita" is a pita bread sandwich.

"stella and fly" is a drink.
Posted Image
"Flawed yet fabulous, tormented yet towering"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users