46 replies to this topic

#31 Amysanchorcat

Amysanchorcat

Hey, little rich girl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:25 PM

If you go on youtube and watch alot of her old interviews from 2003 and 2004 some radio ones on there too, sge explains them, theres some online too.

#32 LondonSweet

LondonSweet

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:35 PM

the song take the box what is it about? i saw a live version somewhere on youtube for bbc i think and she says im going to sing the most depressing song ever to me what did she me i wonder what it is about

Take the Box is about her relationship ending (I believe with the same George) and her packing up all the things that came of their relationship (eg. The Moschino bra) to return to him and start afresh, but she also sings of her mixed emotions at the relationship being over: she's angry at the things he said but thinks she loves him all the same ;)

That's by far one of my favourites. I first heard it at about 11 when my mum bought the album and almost 7 yrs later it still gets me :'-(
Nikki
Forever the fan of a musical Genius.

Winehouse~1983-2011
Remember her
8-/

#33 AJW4eva

AJW4eva

In the morning you're vexed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:23 PM

Amy's explaination of Wake Up Alone (and a stunning performance!):

[vbtube]bnDWrl3x9FE[/vbtube]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#34 pusshito

pusshito

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:44 PM

Sammy = Sammy Davis Jr, I presume. He was a black jew. I'm guessing the guy who made her miss the gig in the song was also.Nas and her shared birthdays, he is Mister Jones, so yes she's referring to both of their birthdays. :)

Me and Mr Jones is about her ex George, a concert promoter, who somehow missed out on Slick Rick tickets for Amy

Hmm... Okay, I really like "Me and Mr Jones" but now, after reading this, I can't understand completely what this lyrics is talking about. One says that about Nas, and other that about her relationship...
Well, I was listening this song very, very carefuly, and FOR ME is about ex partner. Look at lines: "You thought I didn't love you when I did, can't believe you played me out like that" or "What kind of fuckery are we? Nowadays you don't mean dick to me". Who could say something like this? A women who feels regret, to her ex boyfriend, a women who got over it, who is trying start a new life without him.If Amy and Nas weren't a couple, why she wrote a song about him with the lyric filled with regret and anger ???

And other question! Guys, how you interpret the last line of "I heard love is blind": "Yes he looked like you but I heard love is blind…" ?

#35 Tiny Penny

Tiny Penny

Play all my records, keep dancing all night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:01 PM

Me and Mr Jones is about her ex-boyfriend and the fact that he made her miss lots of gigs because of their 'fuckery' but she put her foot down when it came to a Nas gig - her 'Mr Jones'. I have seen / read her explain it in an interview somewhere and that was what she said.

The lyric from 'I heard Love is Blind' is referring to the fact that she slept with someone who was not her boyfriend but he looked like him because it was him she really wanted to be with. The fact that love is blind she means it doesn't matter that she slept with someone else because she was blind to it due to her love for the other fella. She is asking for forgiveness... I only slept with him because you weren't there but it is you I really love! I think anyway!
I love you in a place where there's no space or time...Forever you will be a true friend of mine:)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#36 pusshito

pusshito

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:07 PM

Thank you very much!!! Now I understand this mess with Mr Jones :)

BUT according to "I heard..." - I know that this song is about infidelity. But I don't understand two last lines. Is that in all song she says "it doesn't matter that I slept with other guy, I did it because he was looking like you-my boyfriend, who I really love"... But in the last line the whole song loses sens, because she says BUT I HEARD LOVE IS BLIND - so the aspect of appearance is not important, I mean - it doesn't matter how he looked, infidelity is infidelity...
Am I completely wrong? :confused:

#37 Tiny Penny

Tiny Penny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:14 PM

I think she means either: love is blind so if you love me you will be blind to my infidelity or love is blind, I am so in-love with you I didn't see what I was doing... I always see it as the latter but it could have dual meaning?
I love you in a place where there's no space or time...Forever you will be a true friend of mine:)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#38 LiamSullivan

LiamSullivan

I love Amy Winehouse.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

I think she means either: love is blind so if you love me you will be blind to my infidelity or love is blind, I am so in-love with you I didn't see what I was doing... I always see it as the latter but it could have dual meaning?

I had a completely different thought. The last lines, "yes he looked like you, but I heard love is blind" I always thought of it as, she actually slept with her boyfriend. I think I'm just a moron. Your idea seems more plausible. I think with a lot of Amy's songs, you can interpret them however you want, eh? It's always fun trying to interpret songs. :D

R.I.P Amy Jade Winehouse. Once in a lifetime voice.
2r4h89d.gif

#39 AmyJWinehousefan

AmyJWinehousefan

Amy Amy Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:55 PM

I think that she cheated, but is telling him not to be angry with her because she pretended that it was him. "I drank so much and needed to touch." She was probably drunk when it occured.

#40 wrougs

wrougs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:42 PM

I read it somewhere which Amy said I heard love is blind was completely fictional. But I guess this was Amy's favourite one on Frank. It's one of the few Frank songs that Amy still sang in her B2B era. I love love love this song.
I observe, I don't chase

"I hate nice idiots." Amy, I hear you. But I hate rude idiots even more.

That's me when I sing a song:

#41 Elsie

Elsie

eek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:57 PM

I had a completely different thought. The last lines, "yes he looked like you, but I heard love is blind" I always thought of it as, she actually slept with her boyfriend. I think I'm just a moron. Your idea seems more plausible. I think with a lot of Amy's songs, you can interpret them however you want, eh? It's always fun trying to interpret songs. :D

It's just her play on the old "Love is blind" saying. It doesn't matter if it wasn't you who I had sex with, they say love is blind so how could I have known it wasn't you?
The whole song is written kind of cynically, as if she was getting her revenge on this fella who left her alone, so she went with someone else. From the way she sings "you wouldn't want me to be lonely" and that last one "i heard love is blind", you can hear her cheeky smile when she says it, as if to say "that's what you get for leaving me here by myself" :D

He still stands in spite of what his Mars bar says.

#42 Nasha

Nasha

Amy Amy Amy...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

I have a question about You Know I'm No Good: does anyone know what the "Jamaica and Spain " bit refers to ("Sweet reunion Jamaica and Spain, we're like how we were again")? I'm completely clueless (well, now, at least, I got the lyrics right...In the beginning, when I was trying to figure them out, I heard something like "to make our hands vain" :confused:... Doesn't make much sense, I know LOL!)...
"I should just be my own best friend"

Amy Winehouse (1983-2011)

#43 Elsie

Elsie

eek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:57 PM

I'm not entirely sure but it definitely has something to do with Jamaica and Spain, literally... Someone here probably knows history better than I do...
But also my guess is Amy is Jamaica, the ska, reggae and weed obviously things she liked and which are associated with Jamaica, whereas with Blake being Spain - I do know his Myspace or Facebook name was El Blako and she named one of her guitars El Blako... it sounds Spanish to me so I'm guessing Blake had somekind of an affection for Spanish/Spain? These are all silly guesses but it's how I see it :D I'm thinking it could be an analogy for weed/heroin again but I don't think Spain is really that known for heroin, or is it?

He still stands in spite of what his Mars bar says.

#44 what'sinsideher

what'sinsideher

What's inside her never dies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:05 AM

I never thought of it like that, Elsie! I always just assumed that it literally meant Jamaica and Spain. As in they had went on a little romantic trip to Jamaica and then Spain.

"Anyone who sings a tune so sweet is passin' by..."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#45 Tiny Penny

Tiny Penny

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:12 AM

I think it is a metaphor for the sweet reunion of their relationship... as Spain settled in Jamaica before the English invaded and took over I think she is saying their reunion is meant to be and 'sweet' just like her and her boyfriend...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)