37 replies to this topic

#1 AMYstery

AMYstery

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:15 PM

This might be a sensitive subject but it has been bothering me since June so I'm going to go ahead and make this very long post.:(

I didn't know her, but apparently this Sally Morgan woman is quite a popular psychic in the UK with her own TV-show (she is also known as "the psychic to the stars" and the psychic of Princess Diana) Here is a longer article on her :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1374989/Sally-Morgan-Psychic-superstar-packs-arenas-she-seems.html

I've seen some YouTube clips of her in action, and she claims to be speaking to the dead. She fills up these huge theatres and all these desperate grieving people can't wait until she says something about their deceased loved ones after which they start to cry. She has a column in The Mirror where people can ask her questions, really cringe worthy... :

Sally, is my daughter at peace ?

But it's also a real business with a call center and a team of psychics taking non stop phone calls at a rate of 1.83 pounds per minute.I'm not going to call her a con artist who is abusing these emotionally very vulnerable people, because maybe she truly believes that she can talk to the dead.I'm very much a sceptic however (rationalist,agnostic, "materialist"...call it whatever you want...) but I'm open minded and respect other people's beliefs of course. So, if they find solace by listening to these spiritual guru's than that is their choice.After reading some of the letters I did feel sad for those people in agony and despair who wanted nothing more than a clue or sign from Sally.But I also thought that it was maybe not so bad after all. Because now they believed that their relatives were at peace and it gave them comfort, even if it was probably just an illusion.

But with Mitch and Amy my opinion has changed, and I find this whole thing rather disturbing.When Mitch introduced his album last year he talked about his belief in mediums and ghosts. He said that he and Amy were really into this stuff :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1282503/Amy-Winehouse-s-father-unbelievable-things-said--s-got-vocal-coach.html

Has he tried to teach those lessons to Amy, I ask him. Mitch raises his head slowly and stares at me. He doesn’t answer. He tells me instead about their love of psychics, their penchant for mediums, about their friendship with ‘Britain’s best-loved psychic’ Sally Morgan. Mitch has been seeing ghosts for years, he tells me, and Amy hears regularly from her dead grandmother.

‘I started going for readings when Amy wasn’t well,’ he says.
‘After that, the floodgates opened. My wife is a total non-believer, but for me and Amy, spirituality is very big in our lives.’

So this Sally Morgan is a friend of Mitch and Amy.I didn't read anything Amy-related for months in 2011 (I assumed she was getting better after the concerts in Brazil).But after the Belgrade-concert in June, I signed up again for Mitch's tweets. In the hope of finding out what was going on. I noticed that after the concert he made another appointment with a psychic (not Sally Morgan this time) to "talk" to his great aunt Esther.

Obviously after the concert many people were flooding him with worried messages and tweets.He responded to a few of them in public (saying that it was insulting to suggest that he or her management were irresponsible for letting her perform in that condition and that Amy would be back better than ever, she just needed some rest and recovery).

There was some more discussion back and forth.Then on the 12th of July he tweeted :

Amy is fine.Don't worry.

But I also read in the diary of Sally Morgan that Mitch had been calling her on the 5th of July.So this left me wondering if he knew for sure that Amy was fine or that someone had reassured him again that everything would be fine.

After that he didn't tweet about Amy anymore,as he was planning his trip to New York for his show there.After Amy's death I read on a few newssites that one of the first people Mitch called within minutes after hearing that Amy had died was Sally Morgan :

http://anythinghollywood.com/2011/07/amy-winehouses-dad-devastated-called-princess-dianas-psychic/

Then a few weeks ago I saw this documentary after reading a discussion about Mitch and Sally Morgan on another forum :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056341573

It's called "Amy Winehouse : A family's heartbreak". In this documentary there is a segment where Mitch goes to see Sally Morgan and gets a psychic reading from her. This video was difficult to stomach knowing what would happen later and it was heartbreaking.:sad: Poor Mitch under the influence of this guru and he looked relieved and happy when Sally told him that Amy would be fine and that she would have kids...:'-(

Afterwards I thought that this was actually really disturbing and dangerous.She was basically giving false hope and advice to a man who was in a very delicate and complicated situation. It's one thing to tell people that their loved one who died is ok, but it's an entirely different thing when you start giving (unprofessional) advice to people who are going through difficult issues in the real world.

Because Mitch himself said that he was somewhat in denial when it came to Amy's drinking, and that it was his mechanism of coping with it (blocking it out and pretending that she was fine even when they showed the video of her drumming in Saint-Lucia). So the last thing he needed was a medium reinforcing his denial.

That's why in my opinion the therapist he was seeing at the time in that other documentary (My daughter Amy) was really good. She confronted him with his fears and wasn't sugar-coating anything. Saying that Amy was not out of the woods yet because she had quit using hard drugs. That alcohol is just as dangerous. Mitch told her she was drinking less and that this was something she could "manage". But the therapist said that it is difficult for people who have been through addiction to a lot of substances, to "manage" the controlled use of even one substance like alcohol. The only thing that basically can work on the long term is becoming a teetotaller like Russell Brand.As long as she was using alcohol there was always the risk that it would spiral out of control or create dangerous situations.

That was good advice, but the "medium" by confirming and approving his denial and saying that everything would be alright anyway, was sending the pendulum back in the other direction. I'm sure he preferred listening to the psychic telling him that Amy would be ok and that he could look forward to lots of cute grandchildren...rather than to the professional therapist warning him that they might be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel but that she wasn't there yet, that she was still in the danger zone.That people often switch from once substance to another and that the brain doesn't really make a difference, that the entire vicious circle could start all over again unless she also quit the alcohol.

Of course we won't get anywhere with "What if ?"stories...But this documentary really upset me. What if Sally would have told him something like: "I see a bright future, a third album and lots of children after a long period in rehab and therapy where she finally conquers her last remaining demons and alcohol..."

Maybe Mitch would've jumped on the first plane to Belgrade and got her into rehab himself. But instead she instilled this belief in him that in the end everything would work out for him and his family.This made me very sad, maybe we wouldn't even be having this discussion.:(

I really hope that none of these psychics encouraged him to lower his guard. Or even worst that they had something to do with his decision to still go to New York and perform, that would be too cruel to even contemplate.

Some of Amy's friends also said that they were no longer worrying as much about her because they had seen her a lot worse and she almost died in 2007/2008. So, they too were lulled into a false sense of security. They weren't confronting her about her drinking because they were already over the moon that she succeeded in getting clean from hard drugs.

While Mitch was saying that she was fine and some of these psychics may have encouraged that, it was clear that this was still very dangerous. Kristian Marr found her passed out on the kitchen floor a few weeks before her tour...And even if she was determined to stop drinking it would have been better if she had done it in a controlled environment like a rehab center where they could monitor her progress and medication.Tragedy is, that it seems that she actually booked herself into rehab in July, but she cancelled a few days before her death.If only one of those damn mediums would have said : "Amy, I hear this message from your nan,she wants you to do this for her. You can do it, go through with it ! "

With all this in mind I couldn't help almost crying when I saw her kissing her necklace and pointing to the sky in the Tony Bennett video.:'-(

#2 ladyamy

ladyamy

No Greater Love Than What I Feel For You

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:24 PM

In Spain there's an English woman called Anne Germain who has a TV programme and people, famous or not, go there to talk to their dead relatives or friends. Although I don't believe in that kind of things I must admit that what she said is true most of the times. I mean she always speaks of very personal details that apparently the dead tell her that nobody except them and the person who's there know. I don't know these things don't attract me the slightest.
I’m a firm believer that we all meet up in eternity

#3 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:33 PM

professional bullshitters. my 2c

#4 lolainas

lolainas

Never Clip My Wings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:49 PM

One thing that I've learnt it's that people who really see things, and who really can talk to dead people DON'T go to earn money or to make themselves famous... they have a real gift and only share with close people...

.why dont you come on over, Valerie?

"It's not important to me to make other people at ease. I am difficult, but that's because I don’t really give a fuck."

#5 AMYstery

AMYstery

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:53 PM

Here she is, can't believe Mitch and Amy would get involved in something like this :( :

[vbtube]K14sIoE8qT4[/vbtube]

#6 Gracex

Gracex

Got me addicted, does more than any dick did

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationN Ireland

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:59 PM

Amy always talked about seeing her nan in dreams and how vivid they were. Cant remember where I seen that, You Tube vid more than likely! Some people really believe this. I personally do not, but can see how it provides a sense of closure for some people.

#7 Gracex

Gracex

Got me addicted, does more than any dick did

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationN Ireland

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:01 PM

Oh just thinking, did anyone ever see the Derren Brown programme were he investigated all this? Was all based on them drawing info out of you when you didnt realise. Just a thought

#8 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:05 PM

it's a scam. old as the hills, all been done before. magic elixer. praying on people's grief.

#9 DeLuxe

DeLuxe

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 12:45 AM

Wow, Amystery that was an incredibly intriguing article you wrote. I think you are right on in many of your observations. I used to want to believe in psychics too but no one has ever taken the 1 million dollar challenge put forth by psychic debunker James Randi. He has made that offer to many prominent 'psychics' like John Edwards and James Van Prague if they could just prove their abilities, and they've all made excuses to back out of it. The more I've read about psychics the more I think it is total bs and it makes me cringe that anyone would make important decisions based on the advice of a modern day charlatan.

#10 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:21 AM

that video is hilarious. lol

#11 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 01:28 AM

could you imagine if someone truly could do that? people from all over the world would be throwing money at them, airports would be clogged, royalty, peasants, dogs and cats would chase them.
this whole forum would clear out and we'd be chasing them. lol
i think if someone really could do it. it would be best not to tell anyone.

#12 Nigel Jam

Nigel Jam

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:11 AM

Amy always talked about seeing her nan in dreams and how vivid they were. Cant remember where I seen that, You Tube vid more than likely! Some people really believe this. I personally do not, but can see how it provides a sense of closure for some people.

It is written in the sleeve notes of "Back to Black" Amy writes "don't stop visiting me in my dreams Gran or Nan!"

I believe in psychic powers but I don't think your meant to charge people for doing it and I don't think you can turn it on like a tap for money.

#13 tunisianswife

tunisianswife

Susan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:38 AM

very insightful indeed, Amystery. I've heard of that woman only because one of my zynga gaming friends on FB went to see her at one of her shows.

unfortunately I can't view the video because I'm not in Ireland but would probably make me cry anyway. very teary and bleary tonight. too much drudging up bad memories of 10 years ago on the eve, and the upcoming birthday.

I too was very impressed with the psychiatrist in that video w/Mitch and thought she gave very sound advice and good explanations on addiction and replacing one drug for the other.

although I do believe that some people have that gift; had a friend and her father who had it but she also told me once that her grandmother told her you never profit off something like that and you don't go out and seek people out.

just makes you cringe to think that one could get comfortable depending on a psychic's readings for advice on how to live.
:'-(She was the DiVinci of my music world!

#14 Iulian

Iulian

against, not cause I believe it. just fun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 05:06 AM

One thing to dream about dead people, but this is just bullshit.
Great article, tho, AMYstery!

#15 York

York

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:12 AM

Poor poor Amy. What will not believe it when you have no way out of hope. In such moments, I immediately think of one case as a "psychic" in Russia, has promised to resurrect the dead material of 334 children in the Beslan terrorist attack in 2004, and the worst that mother believed him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users