22 replies to this topic

#16 Iulian

Iulian

against, not cause I believe it. just fun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:20 AM

I am crying a river. I happened to be fortunate to see her performance during this particular festival (SXSW) in 2007. I live in Austin. I agree with the people who dislike the interviewer, she did poorly. Amy exuded brilliance in the interview regardless and shone as brightly as the sun during her performance, the audience was blown away. I can't type anymore, the tears keep flowing. RIP Amy, you dear little girl with the big heart and big voice, you angel. This should be on the news, it's HER.

alicitapalomita 1 month ago 34

sweet comment

#17 prettymaryk

prettymaryk

distractionless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 03:21 PM

no idea. someone requested it for my Amy site and I can't find these videos anywhere.

It was totally me. :blush: Sorry about that. I think I forgot to thank you - I was in too much of a rush to go download them. But - thank you so much! I watch them almost daily now. And I'll keep a lookout for an official release of some kind. I mean, it's a professional recording... got to be released somewhere...

My favourite performances, I think. I love her without the band.

#18 Iulian

Iulian

against, not cause I believe it. just fun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:27 PM

^ Nice to see you here :D

#19 SteveV

SteveV

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:12 PM

Are there any videos from this "low profile" US tour beside SXSW? I know she appeared in New York City and was supposed to go to LA. Did she only have acoustic guitar back up on this tour? Thanks in advance.

BTW Thanks for the SXSW videos. Amy was great.

Edited by SteveV, 30 September 2011 - 01:29 AM.

#20 SteveV

SteveV

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:01 PM

What I was able to find is that, in addition to SXSW, Amy performed at concerts in Chicago and Baltimore, and at smaller venues in Boston, New York, and LA, all in 2007. At least two major concert tours were cancelled, one in 2007 and one in 2008. Someone please correct me if I got any facts wrong.

Overall, Amy's exposure to US audiences was small compared to the potential fan base she had here. I know the tours were ostensibly cancelled because of Amy's health, but were there other reasons why Amy's exposure to US audiences was relatively small? Was it because the US State Dept wanted to protect our tender sensibilities from the little woman with the big voice?

EDIT: I understand that Amy pleaded guilty to a drug charge in Norway and that prevented her from attending the Grammy awards in LA in 2008.

Edited by SteveV, 16 October 2011 - 02:49 AM.

#21 amysarmynow

amysarmynow

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:13 PM

The August 2007 Chicago event was met with HOT weather.

I was worried she would pass out from the heat, but she just
kept delivering.

Much of the crowd was mesmerized, even though most of them
had come to see other artists.

I knew I was watching something "special," but I always thought
I would see her again.

#22 SteveV

SteveV

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:52 PM

The August 2007 Chicago event was met with HOT weather.

I was worried she would pass out from the heat, but she just
kept delivering.

Much of the crowd was mesmerized, even though most of them
had come to see other artists.

I knew I was watching something "special," but I always thought
I would see her again.

Thanks for this amyarmynow.

That's great to hear. I found one very poor quality amateur video on YT of that Chicago concert shot from way back. I could barely hear her above the crowd noise. It's too bad we have such poor or no videos of some of her good performances, while YT is flooded with close up videos from Belgrade last June. Maybe you or others know of some better videos from this Chicago or other US performances. I've found a couple of small venue videos with fair sound quality which I may post if I don't find some better ones.

I'm still wondering why we didn't see more of Amy on this side of the pond. Was she intimidated by what she expected in the US? She certainly seemed to like Austin and put on a good show, but in a smaller indoor setting accompanied by only an acoustic guitar. She told a reporter that her band was around, but she chose to do this as a low key gig.

http://www.starpulse... - SXSW - video

Edited by SteveV, 18 October 2011 - 05:16 PM.

#23 Birdieava

Birdieava

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:12 AM

Overall, Amy's exposure to US audiences was small compared to the potential fan base she had here. I know the tours were ostensibly cancelled because of Amy's health, but were there other reasons why Amy's exposure to US audiences was relatively small? Was it because the US State Dept wanted to protect our tender sensibilities from the little woman with the big voice?

she also played in san francisco in 2007
i was going to go - but didnt so i sympathize w ya'll who didnt get a chance to hear her singing voice live :(
when amy passed away, our local radio dj said he went to the gig, very small - about 400 people.
i always thought she would come back to the bay area ... :-$

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users