142 replies to this topic

#1 Amysanchorcat

Amysanchorcat

Hey, little rich girl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:35 PM

Why isn't more said, wrote about in general when refering to her problems, why doesn't mitch mention it more, mental health is nowthing to be ashamed of or embaressed abot, she was manic depressive and refused her meds, something alot of people with mental health do, and alot end up in her situation, alot of famouse people have mental health issues, Amy admitted it herself, maybe if more was said when they refer to her, if may shut people up, unless they are ignorant about mental health aswell.

#2 Amysanchorcat

Amysanchorcat

Hey, little rich girl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:38 PM

She needed to be sectioned aswell as rehab, why wasn't this done?, theres ways of getting through to people, there was a way round it to get her the help she needed surely to God!

#3 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:50 PM

I'm bp and know many other bipolars. many don't take their meds and substitute alcohol and street drugs. As many as 60-80% of bipolars abuse alcohol/drugs.
Most people don't even get checked out because their brain gets addicted to their brains mania.

Bipolar killed her, drugs were just the vehicle. Happens everyday and is totally preventable. *Preventable*

I don't know why Mitch hasn't talked about it (stigma probably) which is stupid because many great artists are/were bipolar.

I would have tried to have her sectioned early on in her hard drug use. When you are obviously killing yourself, you go to the hospital. My own mother was commited for alcoholism--there were no rehab centers then and she would have drank herself to death otherwise.

#4 Amysanchorcat

Amysanchorcat

Hey, little rich girl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:06 PM

Isn't it better for people to know you have a mental illness and thats why you are behaving in a certain way, i.e, her blind/crazy love for blake, self harming, emotional issues, addictive personality, eating disorders, than people dissing and ridiculing her.

If mitch spoke up about her base problem, instead just mentioning the addiction, i said before, depression is an illness, addiction is a disease one lead to the other, with the influence of snake.

She craved love, she had low self esteem and insecurities, a whole lot lot more understanding, compassion and love would have been a big boost in helping her get the help she needed.

#5 Iulian

Iulian

against, not cause I believe it. just fun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:36 PM

Because even if she's dead, privacy should still be kept up. How would you like if everyone knew about your problems? Why can't we stick to the artist and leave the person alone?

#6 SteveV

SteveV

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:36 PM

If mitch spoke up about her base problem, instead just mentioning the addiction, i said before, depression is an illness, addiction is a disease one lead to the other, with the influence of snake.

She craved love, she had low self esteem and insecurities, a whole lot lot more understanding, compassion and love would have been a big boost in helping her get the help she needed.

She had a loving and supportive family, but there are some things that a daughter or son won't tell reveal to their family. In the third chorus of the "Rehab" video, Amy looks directly at the camera and says "I just need a friend".

#7 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:39 PM

It's better they know that you have a mental illness IF you are getting treatment. People don't always give you a free ride just because you're depressed, bipolar, etc unless you are facing it and doing all you can to help yourself.

A lot of Amy's issues were just flat dysfunctional. She needed what every mentally ill person needs, meds and talk therapy. There is no shortcut and the disease is a life sentence. But people can do ok with treatment. I'm alive.

Her low self-esteem was at the root of so many of her problems. I once heard that alcoholics are egomaniacs with an inferiority complex. Nobody with a healthy sense of themselves would have stayed around Blake for 5 minutes. No way.

It's a tragedy. We've all heard that an addict won't seek help till they've hit bottom. Unfortunately, Amy waited too long. Like Russell Brand said, you will get a phone call.

#8 pearljo

pearljo

♪♫♫ vaginal bleeding

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:48 PM

It was common knowledge that Amy was bipolar and this is nothing to sweep under the rug. In fact, sweeping it under the rug is why we're having this discussion.

Everybody on the planet knew Amy had problems. Is it better to be hush-hush so the next artist can fall in the same trap?

Because even if she's dead, privacy should still be kept up. How would you like if everyone knew about your problems? Why can't we stick to the artist and leave the person alone?

Privacy? Alcoholisn in broad daylight is fine but a clinical illness is not ok to talk about? THAT'S the problem. I'm open about me problems to show others a face of mental illness is not some freak.
You can't seperate Amy the artist from Amy the person. Of all stars especially not Amy.

#9 tunisianswife

tunisianswife

Susan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:04 PM

I am a big proponent of mental health; it's my work. If we continue to sweep things under the rug and keep them hush-hush, we never get rid of the stigma.

I always try to use the analogy when trying to educate those that make rash statements or use the term, 'crazy' 'looney tunes', etc.

If someone walked into a room bald, with no eyelashes, no eyebrows, pale....people would automatically feel such sympathy or even empathy in some cases, for this person.

If we see a homeless person walking all disheveled on the street incoherent, talking to themselves, responding to internal stimuli-auditory or visual hallucinations....we tend to point fingers, think they should be 'locked up'....

the truth is, cancer should be treated no differently than mental illness but yet, we tend to have sympathy for the cancer patient, and see the mentally ill patient as a criminal.

now if the papers posted that she had to cancel a tour d/t having to have a gallbladder out, people would be forgiving; not so much d/t alcohol which is only a SYMPTOM of a much deeper problem.

no sweeping under the rug here.
:'-(She was the DiVinci of my music world!

#10 Iulian

Iulian

against, not cause I believe it. just fun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:14 PM

Privacy? Alcoholisn in broad daylight is fine but a clinical illness is not ok to talk about?

I never said it's ok for them to talk about alcoholism. If Amy didn't want to talk about it, no one should. Rememba that mtv interview where that chick asks her "how is to be famous, everyone reading about you drinking" and Amy said "what's drinking gotta do with it?". She was right. She gave us 2 of the greatest albums of all time but everyone was and is interested in her problems.

#11 Amysanchorcat

Amysanchorcat

Hey, little rich girl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:24 PM

I'm around people with mental health issues, so i know i also have friends who work in mental health, so i know form that angle too, I foookin love the woman, my point is, the media and other ignorant arseholes, seemed to 'forget/ignore' her base reason for all the troubles that she had. And there is still this stigma attached to mental health, when its one of the biggest diseases there is, i know she has admitted it, but when mitch talks about her, he talks about addiction and so on, he maybe could address the real reason for her troubles in the 1st place, so maybe some people will realise she wasn't (their words) just a pissed up junkie, she was a poorly girl.

Alot of people with mental health don't like taking meds because of side effects.

We know she needed love and compassion, like you said, if sple would be understanding, but because her illness was emotional/mental she gets treated differently.

#12 Amysanchorcat

Amysanchorcat

Hey, little rich girl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:26 PM

I wasn't interested in her problems, but because i love the girl, i cared about her problems, media n shit were interested in her problems rather than her music, i love listening to her and watching her, she gives me eargasms

#13 Birdieava

Birdieava

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:27 PM

I also wish Mitch would speak about this more, BUT Amy chose not to, so I respect/understand it. Someone (for example), like Catherine Zeta-Jones who is alive and getting help, who btw got set up by a tabloid in order to speak up and she still did it, can be more of a role model. Not Amy. Leave her be.
Personally I've been diagnosed with the same thing, type A personality, over achiever, too creative, bp disorder, m/d disorder, etc. blah blah and given drugs and therapy so that I didn't kill myself with depression. Anyone who has been there, no matter who you are, knows that the cloud in front of your eyes is so thick and dark that you don't even feel like seeking any help. It's a living hell. The best and the worst of all human emotions, wrapping you up everytime. Awful highs, and lows. Yes, Amy was sick - obvious, and the alcohol was only a vehicle.

#14 Miss Mermaid

Miss Mermaid

miss ya kid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:34 PM

is manic depression the same as bi-polar?

also does anyone know when she was diagnosed when she was famous or before?

thanks.

#15 Amysanchorcat

Amysanchorcat

Hey, little rich girl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:37 PM

Back in the day, when i was younger, it was manic depression, nowadays its bipolar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users