9 replies to this topic

#1 StephanieL13

StephanieL13

I told you, I was trouble....

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:51 PM

I'm none too pleased with Salaam... I greatly prefer Mark Ronson...How about you guys?

He is taking a lot of credit for this album, and he made a huge (commonly made mistake) when he typed up Amy's lyrics. If you go to the booklet he types:

Hope you didn't get a tan, hope you'll find the right man who'll fix it for you...

The Lyric is ACTUALLY:

Hope you didn't catch a TEN (you can also clearly hear the "e" sound over the "a")

And she's referring to a "ten" meaning, a ten year sentence

(did you get a good lawyer? hope you didn't catch a ten, hope you find the right man who will fix it for you...) get it?

#2 JamaicaAndSpain

JamaicaAndSpain

There's this ache in my chest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:39 PM

I have always wondered why they would sing "catch a tan" in that context, but then thought it would have something to do with Valerie's looks, like her ginger hair. "Ten" (as explained by you) would make much more sense!
But I just looked at the first three links that popped up on google and they all say "tan", so I guess everybody thinks that that is the word that is actually sung.
>:-( "These tears won't dry without you, Amy." >:-(

#3 StephanieL13

StephanieL13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:43 PM

I'm so glad I helped someone!!! ;)

#4 Miss Mermaid

Miss Mermaid

miss ya kid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:57 PM

i was always unsure about this - thanks for explaining xx

#5 Iulian

Iulian

against, not cause I believe it. just fun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:45 AM

This is a great meaning of "ten" you gave, never thought of it this way. It surely makes more sense.

In the original Zutons track, it says "tan" also. At least on the internet, I didn't see the original booklet.

#6 Elsie

Elsie

eek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:54 PM

Makes much more sense the way you put it.
Also the lyrics in Like Smoke seem wrong I think, it says "I hung around and be your balance" but all I hear is "I hung around in the unbalanced", I think most people do... :-S The former doesn't make much sense to me.

He still stands in spite of what his Mars bar says.

#7 Nasha

Nasha

Amy Amy Amy...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:56 AM

I didn't know "a ten" could mean a ten year prison sentence, thanks ! I too assumed it was "tan", but it indeed would make much more sense that way!

I hear "I hung around in the unbalanced" (or maybe "unbalance") too. "I hung around and be your balance" doesn't make much sense to me either...
"I should just be my own best friend"

Amy Winehouse (1983-2011)

#8 CreativeAmyCanuckerGal

CreativeAmyCanuckerGal

" I said No, No, No "

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:55 PM

Well..it just goes to show that at any age, you're never too old /young to learn new things everyday, even UK lingo....:) Thankyou for the explanation :)

#9 StephanieL13

StephanieL13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:32 PM

no no you are correct... it's "I hung around, in the balanced" for sure! What the hell did he do? just throw together any lyrics he could find????

#10 modoc56

modoc56

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:41 PM

I was never sure what she said there. I thought it was because of her accent. Thanks for the info!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users