Photo
- - - - -

Amy Interview (ELLE - June 2004)/ Or how I got introduced to Amy =)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 PhemiosRK

PhemiosRK

Plz, at least Im not openin 4 a c* like Kanye

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:47 PM

Hey I promised earlier that I'd post the inteview that introduced me to Amy! =)

Like I said/typed before it was back in 2004, when my sister bought me the june issue of UK's ELLE magazine that had Sarah Michelle Gellar on its cover. As a Buffy/Sarah fan it was only natural for me to horde anything that had her face on it ^^.

So I flicked through the magazine and saw the picture of Amy (the one in the attachemnt!). One whole page just BAM. Something about her just caught my attenntion, so I read the interview and was confused with what the girl posing in that beautiful dress, actually had to say in that interview, apart from looking stunning. She was witty, smart and talked 'like one of the boys' hahah.

After that, I checked out her music with my then 56k internet connection, which was a pain in the ass believe me..... F*CK ME PUMPS was the first tune I heard. Again I was confused, THAT voice, the music, the lyrics.... instantly I became a fan and worshipped her ever since. I even forced my aunt via e-mail (she lived in the UK), to send me the 'Frank' album to germany, which looking back was kind of illogical, but hey I saved money and all xD.

I couldn't scan or photograph the interview, so I'm just typing it down for you guys. Sorry for any typos and sorry 'bout this endless story. Maybe share yours too? ^^

Anyways here it goes:

NOT SO LITTLE VOICE
She's hailed as the new Macy Gray and has been nominated for two Brits, but Amy Winehouse isn't just another pop product...

Amy Winehouse might only be 20, but the feisty London singer has been hovering near the top of the charts with Frank - her cheeky, caustic fusion of jazz and hip-hop that belies her tender years - since it was released last year. After being expelled from the Sylvia Young Theatre School for 'not applying herself', Amy went to an all-girls' school, where the lack of boys meant that she immersed herself in music. She was spotted singing with the National Youth Jazz Orchestra and taken on by Simon Fuller's management company, aged jst 17. With the lyrics that she wrote for Frank putting the boot into her former boyfriend, she quickly established herself as a talent with a big voice and an even bigger mouth. Amy was nominated for Best British Female Solo Artist and Best British Urban Act at this year's Brit Awards. ELLE packed up its finest frocks and a swear box, and went to meet Ms Winehouse...

Jazz always seems like too much hard work. If I wanted to try to get into it, where should I start?[/COLOR]
My album, obviously. [Thinks.] I mean, jazz is an excluding music. Go to a jazz club and everybody's standing about trying to be cool. A lot of it is boring. But after my record I would say listen to Billie Holiday or Ella Fritzgerald.

OK, I'll check them out. Now: what's the worst thing about becoming so famous so quickly?
People wanting to see my face as opposed to hearing my music. Like 'There's a girl who sings, what does she look like?' Not 'There's a girl who sings, what does she sound like?' But a day like this is fun. You get to come and be styled by the ELLE girls. They show you a load of dresses and shoes and you get to choose what to wear. That part is amazing. I love that!

The lyrics on Frank are pretty hardcore [the word 'fuck' appears almost as many times as it will in this interview]. How do you think people react to that?
I want people to relate to my songs in a way that's like, 'Yeah, I told him to go and fuck himself, too! Fuck him! I fucking told him!' That's positive. I've never been one for all that Coldplay guitar-angst shit, like [wails mournfully] 'I'm dying inside!' I don't want to fucking kill myself.

Would you recommend songwriting as therapy?
Definitely. But make sure you write down exactly how you feel. I never write a song like [sings] 'Life is terrible.' I always try to do it with a joke and be funny. When I look back I don't want to think, 'Oh my God, I was so depressed. Why didn't I just slit my fucking wrists?' I want to think, 'You're a strong girl, Amy. Well done. You handled that.'

I Heard Love is Blind is about a girl who cheats on her boyfriend and then gloats about it. Should ELLE readers follow this example?
It's me saying to a boyfriend, 'I only slept with him because he looked like you, what's the problem?' It's fictional. But actually it is the kind of thing I would do, and probably will do.

You also accuse your ex-boyfriend of being 'gay' and a 'lady boy'. Is he a fan of the album?
He ain't heard it. He's a very proud man, my ex. It was me who fucked him up in the relationship. I think he should hear it, though, 'cos he might learn some things. I always say to him, '[says his name]...'Oh shit! [Realises she's given his name away and buries her head in her hands for ages.] Ahem, I always say, 'Jeremiah, listen to the record.'

Maybe he'll feel like writing a song about you.
Yeah! If he released an album about me, that would be good revenge. [Thinks about this.] That would be fucking wicked revenge, actually. I think he should do! I taught him a couple of chords on the guitar, too.

Another song, Fuck Me Pumps, is about fashion crimes. What's a bad look right now?
Double denim. Double denim is like a crime against humanity. When it comes to fashion, I'm a bitch. You know what's attractive on a girl? A girl being herself. Don't be one of the crowd. Don't think you have to wear black boots, black top, black trousers like all your friends. Be different.

That's good advice.
When I go out with my mates - there's four of us - we all wear different stuff. Like, Lauren always does boots and jeans, so I can't wear boots. If Jessica's got her big wool cardigan on, then I rock neon colours. Juliet wears polka dots...

So what's your guaranteed pulling outfit?
I've got a bit of a foot fetish, so I like to show my toes off. But do you know what? Men like boots. Thigh-high boots - if you can carry it off, then do it.

Boots: it's a sex thing.
Yeah! A bit of the old dominatrix vibe, that's what they like. Pervy. Grrr! [Laughs filthily for aeons.]

Moving on, you were nominated for two Brits this year. Those ceremonies always look dull...
They're really boring. It's the kind of thing that only your nan could enjoy. You know [putting on a nan's voice], 'Oh my Gawd, it's Will Young!' You're surrounded by people that you just don't give a shit about. My summary of the Brits? I put on a beautiful dress, beautiful nails, had the shoes on, looked like a princess... and all I did was sit there, get drunk and leave. No one gave a shit about me on the night, and I didn't gave a shit about them.

Come now, just because Dido got your award...
I'd been saying all along, 'It's Dido's award.' The standart of music in this country is piss-poor. Outkast and Beyoncé come over to perform and it's just embarrassing: we've got Westlife. But turning up at those things does loads for my sales, so i don't care.

Finally, what's the most diva-like thing you've ever done?
I do stuff like that every day. If being a diva is getting what you want and knowing how to go and get it, then I guess I'm a big fucking fat diva.
(Words by Johnny Davis. Photograph by Chloe Mallett)

....that's how I fell in love hahaha ^ö^.
But isn't it nice how loving one thing can result into loving something new? Love is so nice and positive hahah xD

Attached Files

• Fierce likes this
''If you could think of a four letter word to call someone, wouldn't it be better than 'brat'? ''

#2 Tiny Penny

Tiny Penny

Play all my records, keep dancing all night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:53 PM

Brill interview! Thanks so much for sharing! She's such a great girl - I literally hang onto everything she says in interviews! Thanks! Xx
I love you in a place where there's no space or time...Forever you will be a true friend of mine:)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#3 JamaicaAndSpain

JamaicaAndSpain

There's this ache in my chest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:35 PM

Really cool interview, thanks so much!
>:-( "These tears won't dry without you, Amy." >:-(

#4 MDPA

MDPA

"We all become what we once hated"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:39 PM

Loved the interview! You can tell there is such a difference between Frank and her doing Back to Black. Especially about the song writing, with the quote "I never write a song like [sings] 'Life is terrible.' I always try to do it with a joke and be funny. When I look back I don't want to think, 'Oh my God, I was so depressed. Why didn't I just slit my fucking wrists?".

#5 Domi

Domi

Some Unholy War

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:43 PM

Very lovely interview! What a precious girl she was :heart:

Forever in my heart! I love you Amy.

#6 Amysanchorcat

Amysanchorcat

Hey, little rich girl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:01 PM

Ta, love Amy, see, tis why we fell in love wid her, aside her uber talent, she is foookin funnaee. Oooh , Ricardo, dat tha one wid SMG in too?, am on a fullblown Buffyfest ;) xx
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The Only Time I Hold Ur Hand Is To Get The Angle Right

#7 ladyamy

ladyamy

No Greater Love Than What I Feel For You

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:31 PM

Brilliant interview! I love her more and more everyday.
I’m a firm believer that we all meet up in eternity

#8 Marty<3Amy

Marty<3Amy

I'll love you forever my mermaid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:33 PM

Thanks for sharing..i love this interview..everyday i discover to love her more and more
Posted Image

"That silent sense of content that everyone gets
Just disappear soon as the sun sets"

#9 Amy Jenna Harper

Amy Jenna Harper

Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:23 PM

Wonderful,beautiful interview!!! ^^

Thank you for sharing ^^

One name,one word : Amy <3
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#10 Amy Jenna Harper

Amy Jenna Harper

Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:24 PM

The poste appear double..sorry for that.

One name,one word : Amy <3
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#11 Dani14

Dani14

You're the sweetest thing I've ever known

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationGreece/Piraeus

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:21 AM

Amy liked hip hop, how could she not like Outkast:amyshock:

But anyway fun to read interview, there is just sth i didn't get. When asked about Dido she says "But turning up at those things does loads for my sales, so i don't care" I didn't get it. She means people going to their (Beyonce/Outkast) gigs? how is this good for her?

She means sth else but im too dumb and not very good at English:amyshock::-S

60do5Ti.jpg

#12 LegendJJ

LegendJJ

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:57 AM

Amy liked hip hop, how could she not like Outkast:amyshock:

But anyway fun to read interview, there is just sth i didn't get. When asked about Dido she says "But turning up at those things does loads for my sales, so i don't care" I didn't get it. She means people going to their (Beyonce/Outkast) gigs? how is this good for her?

She means sth else but im too dumb and not very good at English:amyshock::-S

NO i think she was referring to the fact that going to the Brit awards would help out her album sales which she probably wanted to be better.

Even though she did not like going their(the first time) she did it because she said it may help out her album sales

#13 atlgafan4life

atlgafan4life

I'm not a one trick pony

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:39 AM

thanks for the post. the article is fantastic. there should be a thread about each persons first time you were introduced to Amy. My first introduction to Amy's music gave me a wake up call. I can't read,see,hear enough of her music,interviews,live performances. So, thanks again for sharing.

Attached Files

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Bigger,Bigger,Bigger

#14 antceleb12

antceleb12

And I'm singing this song for you...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:14 PM

She was so incredibly witty and honest. Every word that comes out of her mouth is a riot.

Loved the interview! You can tell there is such a difference between Frank and her doing Back to Black. Especially about the song writing, with the quote "I never write a song like [sings] 'Life is terrible.' I always try to do it with a joke and be funny. When I look back I don't want to think, 'Oh my God, I was so depressed. Why didn't I just slit my fucking wrists?".

I was thinking the exact same thing! I immediately thought of "Back to Black."
But at least with her, its not that teenage-angst kind-of stuff, but it was real pain.
Posted Image

"Amy is amazing. It's as if Bille Holiday and Dianh Washington had a baby and it was raised by Janice Joplin." - jazzblowin on youtube

#15 prettymaryk

prettymaryk

distractionless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:47 PM

Oh wow, thank you! Lovely interview. God she was funny.

That's sort of similar to how I was introduced - through a New Yorker article. I didn't start listening to her right away, but I did keep the picture. (Still have it.)

Good to see another Buffy fan!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users