#16 Nasha

Nasha

Amy Amy Amy...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:50 PM

I wonder what song it is???

Like @Elsie and @Tiny Penny already wrote in this thread, apparently it's a live version of Love Is a Losing Game, at the ITunes fest in 2007... Not really rare, and indeed already on Youtube, etc.

Here's more about the content of the magazine (no article about Amy, apparently):

In this issue

FREE CD! PAUL WELLER: COME ON LET’S GO!: A modern day jukebox compiled exclusively for MOJO by Paul Weller. Starring Midlake, Amy Winehouse, Broadcast, Robert Wyatt, Fleet Foxes, Tame Impala, Tim Burgess, Joanna Newsom and more!

PAUL WELLER: Celebrating 20 years as a solo artist and with the release of a new album,
Sonik Kicks, Paul Weller speaks to Pete Paphides about sobriety, loyalty, friendship, class, honour and the constant need to raise your game.

FLORENCE WELCH: How did a chubby, melancholy Green Day fan transform herself into the soul-dripping high-fashion vision that is Florence And The Machine? John Harris goes behind the glamour to find out.

UNEARTHED: Rock portraits of steely cool and statuesque beauty, from the rediscovered archive of forgotten Vogue photographer, Jack Robinson.

SIMPLE MINDS: They were the Scottish poser neds who conquered the mid-’80s with epic stadium rock. But what got lost in the process? Keith Cameron revisits the straight-edged European cool of those pre-mullet years.

JOHNNY CASH: On the occasion of his 80th birthday, MOJO celebrates the man, the myth and the legacy of The Man In Black, with Sylvie Simmons, Barney Hoskyns and Hank Williams III.

REVIEWED!: The Shins / Michael Kiwanuka / Jodie Marie / Andrew Bird / Elbow / Bruce Springsteen / Common / Van Halen / Paul Weller / Captain Beefheart / Todd Rundgren / The Cramps / Pulp / Nick Drake / Monterey Pop / Duke Ellington / Repo Man / Suede / Kings Of Leon / Bonnie “Prince” Billy / D’Angelo and more!

PLUS!: Farewell, Etta James / Richard Hawley returns / Jonathan Richman pens a poem for MOJO / Dexys speak / LCD Soundsystem make coffee / Django Django rising / David Sylvian’s Rock’n’Roll Confidential / Hello Goodbye with Steve ‘Dobby’ Dawson of Saxon!

AND FINALLY...”who am I and what the f**k and I doing?” Which star of the MOJO universe is contemplating absolutely everything? Find out in this month’s issue of the magazine.

From: http://cover.mojo4mu...=1834&year=2012 (the magazine can be bought online from this page)

Edited by Nasha, 27 February 2012 - 09:12 PM.

"I should just be my own best friend"

Amy Winehouse (1983-2011)

#17 AmyJWinehousefan

AmyJWinehousefan

Amy Amy Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:06 PM

Like @Elsie and @Tiny Penny already wrote in this thread, apparently it's a live version of Love Is a Losing Game, at the ITunes fest in 2007... Not really rare, and indeed already on Youtube, etc.

Here's more about the content of the magazine (no article about Amy, apparently):

From: http://cover.mojo4mu...=1834&year=2012 (the magazine can be bought online from this page)

Thank you

#18 MDPA

MDPA

"We all become what we once hated"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

Hm...what is this? I just don't understand. If someone is making so many attempts to get well, as Amy was, how does that mean they "don't want to be saved", exactly?

[h=1]Paul Weller - Amy Winehouse Was Doomed, Says Paul Weller[/h]Paul Weller is convinced Amy Winehouse was destined to die, insisting, "Some people don't want to be saved."
The former The Jam frontman was a big fan of the Back to Black hitmaker and once performed with her on a U.K. TV show, after which he branded the singer "truly great".
He was on holiday with wife Hannah and his daughters when he heard the news of Winehouse's death last year (11), and admits he was shocked but not surprised by the tragedy.
Weller tells Mojo magazine, "I was on the beach in Spain with my family. My girls were in the sea and Hannah came up. She said, 'Amy's dead.' It was one of those things - both shocking and yet not unexpected... It's such a f**king shame. But, you know, some people don't want to be saved. I don't think that there's anything you can do about that at all."
Winehouse died at her London apartment in July (11) after a massive booze binge.

#19 Tiny Penny

Tiny Penny

Play all my records, keep dancing all night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:48 PM

Ugh... don't like that at all... ' but you know some people just don't want to be saved...' oh shut it Weller!!!! Sorry, his comment just annoys me.
I love you in a place where there's no space or time...Forever you will be a true friend of mine:)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#20 Elsie

Elsie

eek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:49 PM

It's a bit harsh that he went on to add that, but I can see what he means. I don't think Amy wanted to give up drinking or even saw it as a problem. Neither did people around her, or atleast not enough. All you need to do is remember Belgrade and the band's reaction to her performance.

He still stands in spite of what his Mars bar says.

#21 MDPA

MDPA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:02 AM

It's a bit harsh that he went on to add that, but I can see what he means. I don't think Amy wanted to give up drinking or even saw it as a problem. Neither did people around her, or atleast not enough. All you need to do is remember Belgrade and the band's reaction to her performance.

I don't think I can agree with you. The most obvious argument against your claim that she didn't want to quit or didn't even see it as a problem is the fact that her death was caused by her not drinking for an entire month and then drinking again (which her body simply couldn't handle in the quantity she took). The interviews where she points out alcohol as a problem over the years further point that she was extremely aware of it as a problem. She was smarter than you think and very self aware of her flaws.

#22 Elsie

Elsie

eek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:46 AM

I don't think that made her less smart in any way... Or anyone not acknowledging their problem is a dumber person.
The fact is also that I've never heard her speak about alcohol in a non-justifying way, and the whole entire month thing might and might not be true (Mitch said before that she was fine when she wasn't really), she appeared glassy eyed on the fan picture after the iTunes festival and even her family said the amount of alcohol in her system after her death might have been a buildup of alcohol over the past few days. I don't know whether things were as positive as they would want us to believe.

#23 MDPA

MDPA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:19 PM

Its true, we don't know the whole story because we are just fans, I'll admit. Though I can't say I have heard Amy justifying her drinking. My most prominent memory right now is when she was asked what she missed before she became famous (or something like that) and she said "My Liver". I think that shows that she was very aware of a problem (that she was destroying her body).

#24 Elsie

Elsie

eek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:53 PM

Not always justifying, but making it sound like it's ok. The earliest example could be her saying something in the vein of "kids grow up quicker these days, I drink a lot, deal with it" on the bunnycaress group, to her saying she's manic depressive so it's ok to drink because it helps her cope, always drinking on stage, saying "I'm going to go get drunk now" after she accepted an award (I think it was Ivor Novello). Even in that interview where she mentioned her manic depression she said "I know I sound like an alcoholic in denial but...", and that's really what it was imo. I don't know, I guess we can judge from what we saw 'til about 2010 because she was quiet since then, but what we've heard after that was often how she had replaced drugs with alcohol. And, you know, I think everyone, family, friends and us fans have gotten used to saying she was fine because she was only drinking and quit drugs, but the reality is that she was far from it from what we've seen most recently when she was alive. To be honest, I have been going through everything that has happened 2009-2011 a lot since Amy died and seeing all the bad news at once kind of makes you realize you might have been a bit oblivious to what was going on since you wanted her to get better so desperately and appreciated the good news so much more than the bad ones. Idk, I guess it's just one way of dealing with it, but it doesn't make anything less tragic or Weller's comment less harsh.

oh god this is huge i'm sorry.

#25 MDPA

MDPA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:21 PM

I think you are completely right. We heard good news and because we loved her so and wanted her so desperately to get better, we thought it was better than it actually was. :(

I don't think she didn't want to be saved though, otherwise, i think she would never have quit drugs, which would have killed her sooner.

#26 Elsie

Elsie

eek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:34 AM

I don't know... Who knows why Weller said that. Perhaps he reached out to help her and she rejected his help or something. It just seems like such a strange thing to say about an artist you admired and worked with. He could have been a bit nicer about it, then again he isn't known for being particularly nice, lol.

#27 Divine_Comedy

Divine_Comedy

Lost is just what can't be seen.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:35 AM

She just had very strong will. She didn't believe anyone could make her do anything, she'd have to do it herself. She got off hard drugs herself which was amazing, but in the end the booze were an overcompensation for it. She tried to fight that battle, too. She just relapsed and it killed her. So, it's not as though she had some sort of death wish or anything. It was such an utterly upsetting mistake that took her life. It's so crazy just to think that if she hadn't just had that one night, she'd still be here. Her tolerance must have been too low and that was it. Starting and stopping is extremely dangerous. I don't approve people talking to the press about her like that at all. Saying she was destined to die is very harsh. She came a long way from where she was, she really tried when you think about it.

*and if what calls itself a world should
have the luck to hear such singing*

http://www.amywinehouseforum.co.uk/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1716&dateline=1327218895

#28 Gus×Wino

Gus×Wino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

Has anyone already bought this???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users