Photo
- - - - -

Blues Bar@2010 - Lyrics???

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 gpozzo

gpozzo

I swear I'm gonna love you until eternity...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:35 AM

Does anyone understand what she sings? Once someone wrote down the lyrics on YouTube, but I can't find it anywhere. I know it's not an existing song, but I still wonder if she arranged/improvised it or if she changed the lyrics from some song I couldn't recognize. I've also read that it was a cover of Janis Joplin, but I don't think so. I'd be really grateful if some native english-speaker could do that for all of us who don't understand Amy's accent :) Thanks in advance.

I also think it'd be great if there was a thread with audio transcriptions for all non-english speakers. I mean, I've seen several posts of people asking others to write down Amy's words, and also too many helpful people who often do that, so I think it'd be something good. What do you think? Let me know what if think that'd worth it, and if you want to, I can create the thread. :)

"Cuz I miss your ginger hair and the way you liked to dress."

My YouTube Channel

#2 northernsky

northernsky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:11 AM

There's a thread on here somewhere from a while back which either inlcuded, or linked to, a lot of someone's guess at the lyrics and a bit of chat about it.
The sound quality's not really good enough to make out all that she sings even if one is native English.
As far as the music goes, one of the guitarists confirmed that they were just playing a random blues jam which she sang whatever she felt like over the top of. I don't recognise it as a Janis Joplin song - I think at the time some website commented it was Amy 'in Janis Joplin mode' and someone misconstrued that comment.

#3 LRock10288

LRock10288

You Got To Call The Green Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:14 AM

My god, I know I've said this before, but I really am IN LOVE with this performance. Even with the quality of the video, I physically get chills. Amy + good old fashioned blues = the potential to take over the world. Just freaking brilliant.

#4 Tiny Penny

Tiny Penny

Play all my records, keep dancing all night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

I absolutely love this performance too - would love to download the song whatever it is!!!

Oh and if she has just made it up on the spot then I am in complete awe... she is just so so talented isn't she!
I love you in a place where there's no space or time...Forever you will be a true friend of mine:)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#5 MandyP

MandyP

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:06 PM

This performance is incredible. I would love to hear more blues from Amy.

#6 Elsie

Elsie

eek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:19 PM

One of my favourite videos ever! I wish this had gotten more coverage... I can't really understand the words, sorry. Not so much about how she pronounces the words it's the quality of the video that makes it hard to understand.
ps. I found this in the youtube comments:

I know this isn't entirely accurate because there's a lot I can't understand or filled in myself but after listening closely this is what is sounds like she's singing.
Well, I got dis prob’m/ I'm gon tell ya/ Gon get out oh no/ Well, we here on dis boat/ Yeah, we here on dis boat straight from hell, and I was rowin/ I be rowin dis boat bout five hours fo da dawn/ Pack pack pack all my bags and trow em in/ Dey ain’t get me no mo/
Yeah I be rowin dis boat/ Rowin dis boat/ We be givin it our best try/ Yeah we rowin dis boat/ That wouldn’t make it past the door/ So I packed my bags trow em in and row right along/ Buh see/ I rowed dat boat ------/ Yeah I rowed dat boat fo the morning five hours fo dawn/ Mm yeah/ So I pack my bags trow em trow trow em in and/
I got back in dat boat alone/ MmmMmmMmm/
I got in dat boat alone Dey din’t know where to go/ Oh I packed my things and I threw dem ova/ Oh I tried at guide em on/ I tried to guide em on/ Tried to tell them where where where where nex to turn/ Yeah I tried to guide em home/ Boy I tried but shh dey wouldn’t learn/ So in the end I did my own thing/ Yeah I rowed my boat alone/ I certainly did/
I said said “I don’t wana die.”/ They said “We’ll be ‘ight.” /Said “I don’t wana die.” /I said “Look me in the eye ---/ MmMmm/ Like I said I row my own, I got back in and rowed dat boat alone.

He still stands in spite of what his Mars bar says.

#7 northernsky

northernsky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:37 AM

Actually having listened to it again, the first bit she sings (I woke up this morning / couldn't get out of the door) and some of the later lyrics is/are from a song called "Back Water Blues". There's been loads of different versions of it with variations on the lyrics, but it's essentially about someone fleeing a flood. I'd guess Amy's version is based on that, and maybe either throws in some other song or some of her own impromptu lyrics if she's having trouble remembering the others!

---------- Post added at 03:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 AM ----------

Original version (I think?)

A mile further down the stream to Amy's version..

#8 Sassy

Sassy

I’m just a very whimsical person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:13 AM

Bessie Smith. OF COURSE.

Good find, [MENTION=2111]northernsky[/MENTION] !

#9 atlgafan4life

atlgafan4life

I'm not a one trick pony

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:13 AM

I saw one of the guys that was at this bar on You Tube say that they went on singing with Amy for a very long time after the cameras stopped and the band was in awe of her knowledge of the blues and how awesome she sang. Damn, I should have saved it. God Amy you are sooo damn good.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Bigger,Bigger,Bigger

#10 Sassy

Sassy

I’m just a very whimsical person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:23 AM

I saw one of the guys that was at this bar on You Tube say that they went on singing with Amy for a very long time after the cameras stopped and the band was in awe of her knowledge of the blues and how awesome she sang. Damn, I should have saved it. God Amy you are sooo damn good.

She's STILL wow-ing us, isn't she @atlganfan4life ?

I genuflect to you, Amy with respect.

Damn.

#11 atlgafan4life

atlgafan4life

I'm not a one trick pony

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:36 AM

Attached File  13z2wrl.jpg   92.84KB   6 downloadsThink about her every single day.Listen everyday.wish I had of known her as a friend to hang with
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Bigger,Bigger,Bigger

#12 suestev07

suestev07

injured butterfly is so talented, it hurts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:53 AM

there's this:

Hi Folks, I'm the guitarist in the monkey shirt. It was an unforgettable day - and only 1 of the 2 songs we did. What was lost to history was a AMAZING version of "Heard It Through The Grapevine" - better than her version with Paul Weller. Amy had come to the Blues Bar in London's Kingly St where I was running an Open Mic that day. My friend Owen just finished his set and she wanted to sing. So we closed up with her. Owen and I were left stunned... you just dont see it on camera!

vlady1974 5 months ago

AND THIS:

Hi, this song was a completely unrehearsed jam between Amy, myself (Vlad Soriano) and my friend Owen Houlsten. She dropped in last year when I was hosting the Aint Nothin' But Blues Bar Open Mic on Saturday. This was the first song we played as we couldn't recall any motown songs. The 2nd song wasn't very good and stopped short. Then I remembered "Heard It Through the Grapevine". That song wasn't caught on camera. This footage is the only remaining one left on YouTube. vlady1974 5 months ago
\"it was as if all the emotions in the universe suddenly were coming out of her mouth.\" --Entertainment Weekly music critic Chris Willman.

"It's open-heart surgery set to music" - Sunday Herald article by Peter Ross Jan 7/07

"Be kinder than necessary...because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." - Anon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users