28 replies to this topic

#16 Katausa

Katausa

♥ Kat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:15 AM

As @Mama_Haze said, things like this happen on almost every forum - unless you have a forum with like 10 members. I've been on many forums before and I've seen the weirdest things. People pretend to be others all the time. As far as I know there's not much we as members can do about trolls, spammers or anything else, but to report them to moderators. Always be very careful of what you post or even say to others online. You don't want your personal information to be spread around to ultimately getting in the hands of evil people. They surely can do damage once they get their hands on sensitive/private information. There could be someone lurking now- anywhere on the internet - waiting and following your tracks to gain information on you which he collects to use against you in 3 years. Believe me - some people do go far.

In the past I have seen administrators and admins do certain things, which caused forums to die off completely. I think that I might of said yes on this topic too early yesterday, as I was still upset over the fact that the person yesterday was hurting some of my friends. Locking out non-members like this will reduce the site's traffic which would be a shame, since it would be a waste of time and bandwith - they'd just be numbers, as said before. As for the pictures on this forum - most of them aren't even ours, so why protect them as if they were?

It is quite a responsible task being a administrator on a forum like this, and I respect @Mama_Haze for always listening to all of the members - it's one of the reasons why this forum is such a great place. By the way, I am sure that if I was in he shoes I'd not be so patient lol xx

;-)

Edited by Katausa, 02 May 2012 - 05:20 AM.
awful typo right there - look! Oh, it's gone now.

" If I died tomorrow, I would be a happy girl. " - Amy

#17 Mrs. Jones

Mrs. Jones

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:35 AM

I also waited ages before joining, and enjoyed being able to read the content of this forum before making the jump... So I wouls say no.

I thought the fake account was someone who was already on this forum and wanted to harm someone?...

#18 Birdieava

Birdieava

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:23 AM

trolls are no reason to increase security imo
forum should remain public, lets not get all paranoid and/or let fear get in here
take responsibility for your online activity!
i feel like :disgust: as much as you do believe me .....
the positive thing we can take from yesterday's experience is that we are now 'smarter'
soooo, thank you to whoever was pretending to be blake
cuz this wont happen to any of us ever again!! :inlove:

"I must be a mermaid. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living."

- Anais Nin 

#19 Katausa

Katausa

♥ Kat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

I thought the fake account was someone who was already on this forum and wanted to harm someone?...

I'd like to think that this does not matter anymore - as the person is gone.
Plus, I think they learned their lesson, as they're banned and 'taken care of'. x

#20 Amy Jenna Harper

Amy Jenna Harper

Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:56 PM

Can I just reiterate - this is a fairly isolated incident and is NOT a cause for panic. All forums have these problems from time to time, and this forum gets far less of it than every other site I have owned. We're not about to descend into troll Hell here. One of the tricky parts about forum management is making calls about these people - you cannot accuse people of things without proof, but likewise you have to put your members first. It's a balancing act, but not one we have to contend with regularly at all. Some surprisingly popular forums on the web are overrun with trolls. We've had a handful in five years - trust me, we're doing very well :)

I'll make a decision for the long term good of the forum, and I am giving it due consideration. Obviously, as Phil said, it would cause a downturn in traffic. It will also impact on admin time and bandwidth/storage in terms of the probable upsurge in 'registered lurkers' or 'one-visit' users - every account created takes up space on the server, and a swathe of users registering then not using accounts is a waste of bandwidth.

As I also said, however, you should always be mindful of what you post online - if you're not comfortable with people seeing what you write and you know the site isn't private, use PM functions etc. Safety is obviously one of our key priorities here, but everyone has to take responsibility for themselves also x

So my idea is not so good?

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

Okay guys,
I feel like I'am "attacked",it was just a suggestion .Thank you

One name,one word : Amy <3
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#21 Katausa

Katausa

♥ Kat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

@Amy Jenna Harper No hunny! I still think your idea is good, don't feel attacked - EVER! That is not what we were trying to accomplish here, I am sure I am speaking for everyone that has posted on this thread. We were simply discussing the idea here. By the way I think it's amazing that you shared your ideas by opening a thread about this so that we are able to discuss this. x

#22 Iulian

Iulian

against, not cause I believe it. just fun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:59 PM

@Amy Jenna Harper You're not! It was a suggestion from someone who thinks about the safety of the forum! thanks for being so interested :D it's pro and against an idea, like it should always be! hugs

#23 Amy Jenna Harper

Amy Jenna Harper

Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:07 PM

@Amy Jenna Harper You're not! It was a suggestion from someone who thinks about the safety of the forum! thanks for being so interested :D it's pro and against an idea, like it should always be! hugs

Thanks people :P

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#24 CreativeAmyCanuckerGal

CreativeAmyCanuckerGal

" I said No, No, No "

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:50 PM

I can see both sides here, and just do what you ( admins & founder ) think is best. While it is too bad frigdisturbers, sometimes
invade and cause misery, it happens but at the same time you would like to have new folks come along. I do like this forum and am pleased with how everything/one is on here :)

#25 Mama_Haze

Mama_Haze

Hazy Lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:20 PM

Nobody is being attacked!

But I've always felt it's important to let members have full input into these decisions :) Might send out a mass email... although, at this stage, I'm leaning towards keeping things as they are.

That doesn't mean it's a bad idea, or that people should stop raising these things; we encourage discussion of this kind :)

#26 Keight

Keight

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:50 PM

I think we should automatically assume that anyone claiming to be someone of Amy's is a fake, that way nobody is led on, hurt or embarrassed by the situation and if they are indeed real, it will make the discovery of them being real more rewarding. If they're fake, then we will find out before we fall into their trap and lies, therefore preventing a lot of embarrassment (-:

Confirm identity, then move from there.

at his side and drunk on pride
we wait for the blow

#27 Mrs. Jones

Mrs. Jones

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:20 PM

@Amy Jenna Harper it was a good suggestion, and the right moment to bring it up :-)

#28 Amy Jenna Harper

Amy Jenna Harper

Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:40 PM

@Amy Jenna Harper it was a good suggestion, and the right moment to bring it up :-)

thanks

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#29 Katausa

Katausa

♥ Kat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:23 PM

I think we should automatically assume that anyone claiming to be someone of Amy's is a fake, that way nobody is led on, hurt or embarrassed by the situation and if they are indeed real, it will make the discovery of them being real more rewarding. If they're fake, then we will find out before we fall into their trap and lies, therefore preventing a lot of embarrassment (-:

Confirm identity, then move from there.

I agree with this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users