#1 Elsie

Elsie

eek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:20 PM

http://thatgrapejuic...adeles-success/

Without a doubt, Amy Winehouse and Adele‘s influence on British music and its impact on the global scene makes them equally as monumental.
However, if comments allegedly spawned by Winehouse’s producer Mark Ronson are anything to go by, the late star didn’t feel the same way. In fact, he suggests she was jealous of the ‘21‘ singer. Details below… Speaking to The Village Voice, he claims:
She was in a bad state, God knows why. I think that the Adele thing had Amy freaked out. She liked her, but Adele’s success was making Amy feel upset, competitive, restless. Anyway, we lost touch briefly. And before she and I could really start the process of beginning a new album, it was too late. If Mark is right, it’s a real shame Amy felt that way. Reason being? Well,since the momentum she garnered with ‘Back To Black‘ was still going strong despite her subsequent troubles, nothing- not even Adele’s success- could take away from the excitement surrounding news of her third LP. So with that, here’s hoping Amy knew how much she was appreciated and understood the impact her music will have on fans today and here on after.

I think Mark's getting a bit annoying now, but do you think this is true? It breaks my heart Amy felt this way, if only she knew how excited people were about her new album after all that time waiting. Personally, I think Adele's overrated and she doesn't even come close to Amy, let alone would she ever be any kind of replacement... She's got a nice voice, but there's no competition really.
  • Amy Legend likes this

He still stands in spite of what his Mars bar says.

#2 Tiny Penny

Tiny Penny

Play all my records, keep dancing all night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:09 PM

That is upsetting... but I can sort of understand if she felt that way, I think I would too. I don't think you can compare the two though but Amy must have felt the pressure when Adele hit the big time and couldn't do anything wrong. Amy definitely seemed to lack the confidence and faith in herself in the later years, I think this is why the third album was so prolonged. It upsets me because Adele doesn't even touch the sides compared to Amy. I really wish I could tell her this and make her see how many people thought she was just perfect.
I love you in a place where there's no space or time...Forever you will be a true friend of mine:)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#3 Winehouse8327

Winehouse8327

One I wish I never played...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:17 PM

I agree with you but at the same time, fans of Adele probably think the same thing about Amy. I think that Amy had nothing against Adele, but her work was similar to hers and I think Adele copy a bit Amy sometimes. On stage she take her jokes - when she says this is her last song and she comes back after ... well Adele did the same thing. This is normal I think the success of Adele could disturb Amy because things were going less well for her.

So it must have been scary for Amy to see someone who do pretty much the same thing, in a more healthier body, with fewer problems and less story before.

I fall in love everyday !
Not with people, but with situations...

Posted Image

#4 Cecilia

Cecilia

What kind of fuckery is this?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:24 PM

I don't think Amy's and Adele's music are that similar and find the comparison in the press just lazy journalism, but the fact is that they did get compared constantly. If you were Amy, wouldn't it freak you out a bit too if someone was being called "the new you" all over the press all the time? It's like they're saying you're dead already.

smoke.jpg?t=1397395921

#5 Tiny Penny

Tiny Penny

Play all my records, keep dancing all night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:27 PM

I don't think Adele really tried to copy Amy... they are totally different people. Adele is very much herself, she is into her homecomforts and liked nothing better than living with her mum, drinking tea and having quiet nights in - she admits that! Whereas Amy liked going out and was very independent. There musical style and influences are different in many areas.
I don't think Adele thought she was some sort of 'new Amy' it is just that they are both British female artists who write about heartache. It must be just as hard for Adele walking in the shadow of Amy too. As for the saying this is my last song and then coming back, well I think this is just common practice, every single live performer / band I have seen have done this! I really think Adele is Adele and Amy is Amy. Like one, like them both, it doesn't matter!
I love you in a place where there's no space or time...Forever you will be a true friend of mine:)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#6 Jayne

Jayne

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:36 PM

[QUOTE=Winehouse8327;179337I think Adele copy a bit Amy sometimes. On stage she take her jokes - when she says this is her last song and she comes back after ... .[/QUOTE]

I've never been to a concert where the artist has not come back on after the 'last' song and I've been going to concerts for many years so I don't think you can say Adele copied Amy.

I think this is the press trying to make a big deal out of nothing, and I bet Mark has been misquoted or this has been made a much bigger deal than was meant.
Jayne, proud to be a member of Amy Winehouse Forum since Jul 2007.

#7 Winehouse8327

Winehouse8327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:46 PM

I've never been to a concert where the artist has not come back on after the 'last' song and I've been going to concerts for many years so I don't think you can say Adele copied Amy.

No, not that. You know when Amy told the audience that this was her last song and then people booed, but she said you've never been to shows before? I say this is my last song but you know I'll be back ...
Adele said the same thing a few times.

Posted Image

#8 LucyGoose

LucyGoose

Think love and wear a smile...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:58 PM

The thing is that Amy probably read between the lines when the press praised Adele for her music AND for her homebody lifestyle, living with mum etc. When they compared the two singers, obviously a lot of people will go for the more conservative singer (Adele) and no one wants to be compared in that way when they are so clearly different and really appeal to different audiences.

I can see how Amy would feel threatened by this.

But, really - Mark Ronson needs to keep these types of comments out of the press. Amy is not here to give her opinion and it makes him look like he is trying to have a go at her. Not cool.

#9 Elsie

Elsie

eek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:29 PM

I agree with you but at the same time, fans of Adele probably think the same thing about Amy. .

I am not being biased, honestly... As for the voice, it's a matter of personal preference, they can both sing obviously. But I think whoever can say Adele's lyrics, ease of performance and diverse range of influences she puts in her music are comparable to Amy's, is being delusional... It upsets me too that she got more success than Amy just because she was "safe" and conservative as someone here pointed out. But in the end, it doesn't matter. It was just a bit unfair. I would have hated if Amy was as over-exposed and overplayed as Adele anyway.

He still stands in spite of what his Mars bar says.

#10 Winehouse8327

Winehouse8327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:41 PM

[MENTION=2064]Elsie[/MENTION] - Yes you're absolutely right.

Posted Image

#11 masterac

masterac

Affected . . .

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:24 PM

But, really - Mark Ronson needs to keep these types of comments out of the press. Amy is not here to give her opinion and it makes him look like he is trying to have a go at her. Not cool.

[MENTION=2060]LucyGoose[/MENTION] ditto ---- the first thing I thought when I read that quote was not whether it was true or who was the better singer, it was, why the hell is Mark Ronson saying this shit almost a year after Amy's died??

Even if it's true, he doesn't need to say it out loud. I mean, is he trying to make Amy look bad? Is he trying to make Adele feel bad? Because it seemed like Adele was genuinely sad and upset for Amy's death. Her knowing or thinking that Amy didn't like her can't feel great.

Ulg, this is just stupid bullsh*t.
“If you don't throw yourself into something, you'll never know what you could have had.” - Amy Winehouse

#12 Jehisgold

Jehisgold

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:31 PM

I think it is natural to get jealous " Adele is great, I feel that way about Adele's songs. When Someone Like You came out, I was like, 'Oh man,'' he recalled. 'Someone throws a songwriting punch and you have to work out how to throw one back.' Chris insists he won't be the only one who views Adele's talent in such a way. Musicians are constantly sizing up the competition to ensure they are still relevant 'There is definitely competition among singers. Everyone wants to write better songs than everyone else. It's quite a healthy thing,' he is quoted as saying by British newspaper The Sun."

But why Mark Ronson would say this out now, I have no idea, sounds like he had bad intentions to me

Miss Amy (L)

#13 SteveV

SteveV

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:04 PM

Adele has a powerful voice. She could probably sing opera. But I simply don't understand the comparison. There is none IMO. Amy's style and material are unique. Her vocal skills when she was at her peak were as good as the best jazz singers of the past which means they were better than any pop singer. Her songwriting skills were likewise without comparison. It's not a matter being better, but of her uniqueness. Amy's lyrics are so evocative and personal. Who else ever wrote songs like that? Her phrasing, intonations and distinct contralto voice combine to make listening to Amy an experience that is unlike listening to any other singer I've ever heard. That's all I can say. For me, there will never be another Amy Winehouse!
"It's not me personally, is it?......I'm just a musician."

http://www.starpulse... - SXSW - video[

#14 LiamSullivan

LiamSullivan

I love Amy Winehouse.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:06 PM

Adele and Amy are two completely different artists. Amy over Adele for me any day. If Amy did feel this way, I can understand why. I personally don't see what the big deal is with Adele. She's good, but not all that great, in my personal opinion. I can see why Amy would feel threatened, and especially competitive.

R.I.P Amy Jade Winehouse. Once in a lifetime voice.
2r4h89d.gif

#15 socubos

socubos

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:24 PM

I hate when an artist die some "Truths" comes out.. come on...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users