18 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Hathaway

Mr Hathaway

Camden town ain't burnin' down

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:31 PM

the more I feel like I know absolutely nothing about Amy. She is such a profoundly complicated, massively intriguing individual. I only wish I could have sat down with her for a few hours and asked her some questions. There's really no way for any of us to ever know what was going on in her head, why she did what she did, or even what happened. Though of course I'd like to know the facts about 2005-2008, I'm most interested in 2009-2011.. I feel like it would bring so much closure to her death for all of her fans, and even her friends who didn't talk to her during those years.
I've heard so much about how Saving Amy is a terribly written, dramatized bunch of rubbish (therefore I refuse to read it) and I have a feeling Mitch's book is going to make it seem like everything was always okay.

Why do we care so much? It's so frustrating.
Just a fellow fan of the supremely talented songstress, Amy Jade Winehouse.

#2 socubos

socubos

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:24 PM

we will never get the truth. Whatever Amy was, done, been, it will be Amy. The rest is points of view...

#3 Mr Hathaway

Mr Hathaway

Camden town ain't burnin' down

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:34 PM

I know, I've just always wondered if anyone else has felt this way. I'm sure they have, but discussing things like this always gives a bit of closure to things.
Just a fellow fan of the supremely talented songstress, Amy Jade Winehouse.

#4 SteveV

SteveV

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:01 PM

She is such a profoundly complicated, massively intriguing individual.,,,,,,,,,,,Why do we care so much? It's so frustrating.

I think you answered your own question. We care because she was who she was. I don't try to understand her. I love her unconditionally. I think she touched us in ways that defy language. I can only say she touched me at an emotional level that no one else has. You can't analyze true love. I just happens. I honestly believe she was destined to burn bight and die young. She was rare type of human being that might come along only once in a lifetime if you're lucky. I'm just grateful she happened in my lifetime.
"It's not me personally, is it?......I'm just a musician."

http://www.starpulse... - SXSW - video[

#5 Iulian

Iulian

against, not cause I believe it. just fun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:27 AM

Why do we care so much? It's so frustrating.

Exactly, take the music and analyse it to an endless point and leave the individual.

#6 Mrs. Jones

Mrs. Jones

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:22 AM

I think that's the mystery ways of fandom...how we can love, care and want to know so much about a person we've never met.

If Amy hadn't written songs so openly and honestly, would we care this much?

#7 Elsie

Elsie

eek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:45 AM

Yes, I wonder the same about after 2009. At the time, it seemed like she was alright and I was really optimistic about her return and the short European tour and all the news that arrived at the time seemed all right mostly, encouraging because she changed her lifestyle... But now, when I look at everything that happened and all of her drunken endeavours at the time, I can't believe I was so naive and it makes me feel guilty for being happy about her toned down behaviour since she was obviously still unwell. It wouldn't have helped either way if I felt differently about it, but it's just my conscience telling me I shouldn't have been so blind. Whether it was the media then, her family, album anticipation, I don't know... Now it all looks different, even the Brazil gigs that were so exciting when they ocurred. The sadness in her eyes at those concerts seems so much clearer now, when at that time everyone was over the moon she could perform... It's not that I think we should have felt sorry for her all along, because no one wants pity, I just wish there was something we could have done to make her feel better and more confident because she seemed to lack confidence at everything she did at the time. And she was still stellar.

He still stands in spite of what his Mars bar says.

#8 Uno

Uno

It's bricked up in my head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:38 AM

I just read a some posts here
http://forum.watmm.c...ad/page__st__75
that that discuss Amy, rehab, and a little bit about where her head was at, start at #84, he has some very interesting posts, just warning you that there are some of the idiot-like not very nice troll post there also.
Amy, if you are up there listening, thank you for sharing the incredible soundtracks of your life ...

#9 Courtney_Mo

Courtney_Mo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:29 AM

I have a feeling Mitch's book is going to make it seem like everything was always okay.

I really feel that Mitch's book will be a honest representation of Amy, both good and bad.

At one point, Mitch was lobbying for better alcohol and drug education for young people. If Mitch sugar coats Amy's addictions and troubles in the book, then he is doing the foundation a diservice. Amy was CLEARLY not okay. Cutting, eating disorders, depression, alcohol, and drug use are not hallmarks of a person who is okay. Those issues (cutting, eating disorders, depression, etc.) are not unique to Amy, many young people struggle everyday. The only difference is Amy was a public figure, the world watched her daily struggles. The book is the perfect platform to address those issues and reiterate why education and foundations, like the Amy Winehouse Foundation, are so necessary. I definitely don't want Mitch to out Amy by telling too much information. But if the book pretends that everything was okay, especially from 2005-2011, then it would be laughable.
You took my heart and played the part of little coquette. All my dreams disappeared like the smoke from a cigarette.

#10 starcrusher00

starcrusher00

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:51 AM

I think it's clear by any recent pics of Amy in 2011 that she was always with Tyler James and/ or her bodyguard. I think Tyler is the only one who could know who Amy really was because A: he dated her B: went to the Sylvia young school with her when they were much younger. C: he is the one who passed her demo along to his record label when he was a recording artist. Thus is responsible for her incredible fame.
I think he was her very best friend and he even lived in her house towards the end of her life.
On the voice you can tell and he has admitted to recent alcohol addiction which I believed he propogated while hanging out with Amy.
But tyler has never sold a story or talked about her in any way other than to say she was his best friend. Everyone who has sold stories never truly knew her. And I think this includes her dad Mitch. Amy saw him as the main man in her life, and reportedly didn't touch a drug in front of him besides pot. I think she wanted him not to worry so much and as close as they might have been, he didn't know her true feelings about HIM. I think her dad really let her down in her childhood. I think she NEVER got over that.
Explains her codependency and addictions. And along with that she was called "manic Amy" by her classmates in school because she reportedly would cry or change moods at the drop of a hat, which is clinically described as bipolar or borderline disorder. I am so sad she went through life feeling so unsatisfied and sad. I also think.. Last thought. Amy was probably told by doctors that she would be unable to have children. As an addict alcoholic and anorexic it's pretty much a given that her body wasn't equipped to handle pregnancy. I think this would drive her drinking to exceeding heights and not give her much reason to continue seeking help. Or health.

#11 Courtney_Mo

Courtney_Mo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:35 AM

Last thought. Amy was probably told by doctors that she would be unable to have children. As an addict alcoholic and anorexic it's pretty much a given that her body wasn't equipped to handle pregnancy. I think this would drive her drinking to exceeding heights and not give her much reason to continue seeking help. Or health.

I never thought of that but it's definitely a possibilty. Maybe that coupled with Blake having a baby by another women sent her over the edge.
You took my heart and played the part of little coquette. All my dreams disappeared like the smoke from a cigarette.

#12 Mrs. Jones

Mrs. Jones

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:40 AM

That is an interesting point. I'm not sure whether she would've been told that by a doctor, or whether she just knew it herself, but considering she was seeing a doctor regularly, I imagine they probably spoke about that.
Anorexia, bulemia, alcoholism and drug addiction ravage the body, and in those circumstances it is very difficult to conceive.

Since she said in numerous interviews that she wanted to have children, I think it's fair to assume that her facing difficulties to fall pregnant must have hit her hard. It's very painful for a woman to deal with the thought of not ebing able to bear children.

---------- Post added at 06:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 AM ----------

And I agree with you about Mitch having let her down as a child, and how she never got over that. I think it shaped all her future relationships with men, she was quite open about being a Daddy's Girl, she was always trying to get his attention.
I think Barney from HIMYM would've had field day with Amy, as she is clearly what he would define as a 'girl with Daddy issues'.

#13 Uno

Uno

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:29 AM

This is from Daphne Barak's book, it's a conversation that Daphne was having with Janis (and YES, I know about Daphne, so take it with a grain of salt, as the saying goes)

I understand that she doesn’t even have periods? Like many anorexics.’ ‘Yes,’ Janis agrees, ‘but she has said that she has [had periods] recently. It is hard to know where Amy is coming from, because what she says is, “Mum, don’t worry. I have got this in hand and I have got that in hand”. [But] Alex will say, “Mum, she is not telling the truth.”’
Amy, if you are up there listening, thank you for sharing the incredible soundtracks of your life ...

#14 Mrs. Jones

Mrs. Jones

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:52 AM

I am tempted to read this Daphne book, because I feel that amongst all the bullshit, there must be some snippet of truth, a sliver of reality, some conversations which must have taken place...

#15 Uno

Uno

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:57 AM

She definitely did spend time with the families and did gather useful information, the problem with her and her book is how she processed and presented the information. The reason I say families instead of family is because the one thing I did walk away with after reading the book is that it made me really realize that there are two different families dealing with Amy, not just a mother/father family unit and how those dynamics affected Janis, Mitch and Mitch's wife. Also, some food for thought, was as long as Amy was in a fragile state, she definitely did have both her mother and fathers attention, as her family unit once had been.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users