17 replies to this topic

#1 Jmoney

Jmoney

Mr. Magic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:20 AM

Is there a meaning to this cover ? I found myself thinking about it, like is that her dog or is that someones dog and shes just grabbing the leash ? sorry if this is dumb I just thought about it for a while lol. I love this cover, one of my favorite photos of Amy.

Edited by Jmoney, 22 June 2012 - 09:25 AM.

#2 Elsie

Elsie

eek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:07 AM

I haven't a clue - I've seen a lot of pictures of her walking a dog but it was always a different one :D Someone said the dog's name was also Frank, but idk where that came from.

He still stands in spite of what his Mars bar says.

#3 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:16 PM

Wiki is useless... Take the Box page says: The line "Frank's in there and I don't care", refers to her dog of that time, Frank. ... that doesn't even make any sense?
But it probably was her dog... why would she walk someone else's dog? It's just a nice picture of her walking down a street... similarly to that promotional ad that was found.

#4 tselekoglu

tselekoglu

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:38 PM

@allisost The "Frank" in Take The Box is Frank Sinatra's album, I think. Coz she says "put it in the box". Can you put a dog in a box? lol

And I think, the name of Frank which is Amy's debut album comes from Frank Sinatra again. Coz she mentioned him in Halftime (Simple Sweet Guitar) and this song is from Frank sessions, you know.
Posted Image
16 letters, 3 words, 5 syllables, 1 woman, a big talent;

Amy Jade Winehouse :missyou:

My Amy Fan Page >> http://www.facebook.com/BritLioness

My Tumblr >> http://winehouseanddelrey.tumblr.com/

#5 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:44 PM

@allisost The "Frank" in Take The Box is Frank Sinatra's album, I think. Coz she says "put it in the box". Can you put a dog in a box? lol

And I think, the name of Frank which is Amy's debut album comes from Frank Sinatra again. Coz she mentioned him in Halftime (Simple Sweet Guitar) and this song is from Frank sessions, you know.

Yeah, what I always thought... I was just pointing out the ridiculousness of that Wiki page.. the only dog you can put in a box is a dead one... what do people think when they write this stuff?
I always took Frank to mean "honest" more than anything... but perhaps a double meaning there.

#6 AmyJWinehousefan

AmyJWinehousefan

Amy Amy Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:38 PM

Like what [MENTION=2636]allisost[/MENTION] said, I always thought that the meaning was truth and honesty. Amy was being "frank" about her thoughts and feelings in the album.

I may be way off track, but it's just my opinion.

#7 tselekoglu

tselekoglu

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:05 PM

I think, she used "Frank" to name her album because of two meanings. One of them is being honest, other one is Frank Sinatra. 'Cause you know, she used to do word illusion in her songs, quotes etc. That is my opinion :)
Posted Image

#8 MDPA

MDPA

"We all become what we once hated"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

In an interview I saw a really long time ago, she gave four reasons for naming it Frank. One reason was because she always wanted her album to have a direct, short and simple name. Another was because she felt it reflected her honest and truthful thoughts. Another was because of Frank Sinatra, one of her idols. Lastly because her dog was named Frank.

And I don't think her reference to Frank in Take the Box would be ridiculous if she meant the dog. Like "My dogs in there, but I don't care right now" And then she goes onto the course which is unrelated to the previous statement about Frank (the dog). But I think I read another interview in which she said it was Frank Sinatra she was referencing in that song specifically, but it was so long ago!

Posted Image
Amy J. Winehouse

1983 -

#9 Guest_theguiltwillkillyou_*

Guest_theguiltwillkillyou_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:12 PM

no, she is talking about FRANK SINATRA. Thats why she titled her album "Frank". You can also listen Halftime that was recorded in frank era that she sings "And when Frank Sinatra sings..."

#10 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:20 PM

right at the start

still have never heard a dog reference before...

#11 tselekoglu

tselekoglu

Amy, Amy, Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:20 PM

no, she is talking about FRANK SINATRA. Thats why she titled her album "Frank". You can also listen Halftime that was recorded in frank era that she sings "And when Frank Sinatra sings..."

I said the same things few posts ago lol
Posted Image

#12 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:33 PM

This clears it up if I could find the source: "When I say ‘Frank’s in there and I don’t care,’ that is literally a Frank Sinatra CD. He bought me it for Christmas and I was putting all his stuff in a box, like his T-shirt that I used to sleep in. He bought me Frank Sinatra’s In The Wee Small Hours – ironically, cos it’s one of the classic heartbreak albums of all time." -Amy

Here's the interview: http://www.pauldunoy...ournalismID=183

I like this part:
Well, if you have to name your album after someone, who better than Frank Sinatra? (I intend this in the blandly upbeat way you adopt to keep your interviewee on side. She’s having none of it.)
“I don’t agree. There’s a whole mess of people better than Sinatra.”
Are there? Really?
“Sinatra had an emotional connection with music. That was his thing. He had the tone in his voice. But singers? I know a hundred singers that piss on Frank. And musicians. And just as a person: he was an arsehole. But he had an emotional connection to songs that touched everyone, women, men, soldiers.

And yes, all of this has been discussed before on the forum... should be clearer now.

Edited by allisost, 22 June 2012 - 04:39 PM.

#13 DARE TO BE D

DARE TO BE D

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:19 PM

I love the song HALFTIME ..Its my favorite from the lioness album
i love the line" when the beats kicks in everything falls into place and it overpowers me"
this should have been on the Frank album ,

#14 ancre

ancre

Just friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:01 PM

Afaik Amy didn't have a dog. I think the one on the Frank cover is not hers.
"I trust my instincts, and that’s what has got me where I am, y’know?" (Amy)

#15 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:09 PM

Damn... I wish we could tweet Mitch and ask him... did Amy have a dog when she made Frank or is the dog on the cover Amy's? Haha... that would be kind of weird though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users