36 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Hathaway

Mr Hathaway

Camden town ain't burnin' down

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:54 AM

What do you all think of her version of It's My Party? It seems like there are many people who don't like it at all (based on YouTube comments from different videos), but I think it's fantastic. Everything about it.

Is my love for Amy clouding my judgement or is this song as good as I think it is? Sometimes I can't tell, I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gceGGSSxDqo

Just a fellow fan of the supremely talented songstress, Amy Jade Winehouse.

#2 crol

crol

i'm not ashamed, but the guilt will kill you

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:59 AM

From the NME:

Amy Winehouse - 'It’s My Party' She may be singing behind the beat in a way anyone who has seen ‘Rehab’ live will be familiar with but, by the ad-libs at the end, the distinction between Amy and nine zillion pitch-perfect X Factorites is clear, as is the reason why people will always, always care. [Hamish MacBain, Assistant Editor]

I agree that it's recorded in the way she sang songs live, at least after B2B. People who are unfamiliar with her live style probably wouldn't appreciate it as much as we would.
I do think Ronson's production is a little too slick though.

#3 Mr Hathaway

Mr Hathaway

Camden town ain't burnin' down

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:09 AM

From the NME:

I agree that it's recorded in the way she sang songs live, at least after B2B. People who are unfamiliar with her live style probably wouldn't appreciate it as much as we would.
I do think Ronson's production is a little too slick though.

That's one of the reasons I enjoy it so much.. it's quite raw, really. But I do agree, Mark Ronson sure did like to create elaborate backing tracks for vocals that didn't require them..

Also, in the quote, what exactly does "nine zillion pitch-perfect X Factorites" mean?
Just a fellow fan of the supremely talented songstress, Amy Jade Winehouse.

#4 Katausa

Katausa

♥ Kat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:40 AM

This is Amy, as she was. Pure and soulful. Yes, it's a bit raw at times. But I think that was Amy's style, well, at least when she was performing live - there was always this raw sound in her voice. I am sure that someone who isn't used to Amy's singing would be a bit shocked by this, as it's simply not what you get to hear in the Top 40 so often. It's not overproduced, it's not slick. It's just Amy, and her amazing voice.

" If I died tomorrow, I would be a happy girl. " - Amy

#5 crol

crol

i'm not ashamed, but the guilt will kill you

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:57 AM

Also, in the quote, what exactly does "nine zillion pitch-perfect X Factorites" mean?

X-factorites = contestants on singing talent show x-factor. They tend to be pitch-perfect, and comparatively dull.

It's not overproduced, it's not slick. It's just Amy, and her amazing voice.

Wasn't saying Amy was overproduced. Her performance is just sublime. I personally prefer Salaam's rawer arrangements, but having said that the slick production emphasizes the rawness of Amy's voice.

#6 Sassy

Sassy

I’m just a very whimsical person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:31 AM

I never liked it. She sounds drunk. Ronson's 'wall of sound' arrangements (as with 'Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow') were overproduced, IMO

#7 AmyLover<3

AmyLover<3

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:50 AM

This is just Amy, the song sounds pretty raw but that's why I like it

#8 stranger

stranger

rubber soul

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:00 AM

I didn't like it at all at first, but feel like it's growing on me slowly. I like the production but then again I'm a sucker for wall-of-sound-like stuff. Amy is pure rock'n'roll
didn't get a lot in class, but I know it don't come in a shot glass

#9 Keight

Keight

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:10 PM

I do like it a lot, It kind of shows us the evolution of Amy's voice, but I can't help but think that this sounds drunk, and judging by the pictures released of her going to/coming from the studio.. she probably was, as well as this while in Brazil she sounded a lot different to this albeit yes her voice had changed a lot, just not quite as much as it is portrayed in the 'its my party' recording, just my 2 cents x

Edit: I also personally prefer Mark Ronson's production over Salaam Remi's (-:

at his side and drunk on pride
we wait for the blow

#10 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

Haha of all of her covers I think this is her worst one. It's not good but I enjoy it because I love Amy.

I take back my previous comment. This is her worst cover.

Edited by allisost, 28 July 2012 - 05:19 PM.

#11 what'sinsideher

what'sinsideher

What's inside her never dies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

I've always liked it. The NME said it best, in my opinion. She doesn't sound perfect but it's Amy we're talking about. She didn't have to sound perfect for it to be amazing.

"Anyone who sings a tune so sweet is passin' by..."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#12 Elsie

Elsie

eek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:52 PM

I take back my previous comment. This is her worst cover.

I hate to say this, but her Rudy covers were all awful. That song just didn't work for her.
I love It's My Party! She does sound a bit incoherent in the chorus, but her voice is brilliant and the Cockney banter is a nice touch :D I remember being really happy about that cover when it came out, it was exciting to hear how her voice was very much still there.

He still stands in spite of what his Mars bar says.

#13 antceleb12

antceleb12

And I'm singing this song for you...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:52 PM

I am in love with it, and think it's actually one of her best vocals. Despite being somewhat incoherent, her voice is noticeably clearer than in previous years and she's got a very pointed, brassy sound. I love the way she changes the final chorus with the "whoo!" It's got personality. Though her voice is noticeable scarred, the maturity in her voice and delivery outweighs the damage. The only thing I wish is that I could understand her monologue better, but that has nothing to do with drugs - it's just the way she talks! I can tell that she really liked working on this project. Plus, the production from Mark is top-notch. Real Motown sound, here.

Not gonna lie, though. When I first heard this, I thought to myself, "why does she sound intoxicated?" and wasn't sure how to feel about it. Then one day, after not listening for a while, I came back and was suddenly in love with it.
Posted Image

"Amy is amazing. It's as if Bille Holiday and Dianh Washington had a baby and it was raised by Janice Joplin." - jazzblowin on youtube

#14 Keight

Keight

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:49 PM

I hate to say this, but her Rudy covers were all awful. That song just didn't work for her.
I love It's My Party! She does sound a bit incoherent in the chorus, but her voice is brilliant and the Cockney banter is a nice touch :D I remember being really happy about that cover when it came out, it was exciting to hear how her voice was very much still there.

I actually disagree somewhat, haha while the rudy covers weren't very good quality (it's understandable because of the time in which she performed them), I actually enjoyed the cover she did at Glastonbury 08 - lots of people disagree with me but i think its catchy and fun, especially the line 'creating problems in town' the way she says it, i don't know something about it i just like.

at his side and drunk on pride
we wait for the blow

#15 LiamSullivan

LiamSullivan

I love Amy Winehouse.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:19 AM

I love her version of this song, personally. Her voice sounds a lot different than it had previously, but I still find it to be great.
Love this song.

R.I.P Amy Jade Winehouse. Once in a lifetime voice.
2r4h89d.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users