Photo
- - - - -

What are your favorite Amy Winehouse lyrics?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Hopscotchtears

Hopscotchtears

For You I Was A Flame.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:51 AM

Just curious seeing as how I quote Amy on the daily in my day to day life. May it be aloud or even in my head. Little words she spits out that stay attached to my heart forever. What's your favorite Amy Winehouse lyric?

Fill my heart with song
Let me sing for ever more
You are all I long for.

#2 TBR

TBR

I still wonder 'bout the things you do

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:14 AM

To be honest, I love lines in pretty much every song of hers but some of my favourites:

"Understand, once he was a family man, but surely I would never, ever go through it first hand. Emulate all the shit my mother hates, I can't help but demonstrate my Freudian fate." (My dad left my mum for another woman nearly two years ago and I pretty much did what Amy did and behaved pretty badly myself in the aftermath.) - 'What Is It About Men'.

"The man said 'why do you think you here?' I said 'I got no idea' [...] He said 'I just think you're depressed'. This me; 'Yeah baby, and the rest'." Again, the lyric kind of took on a sense of irony around the same time as above because I went to the doctors because I was pretty badly depressed due to my grandma's death and my dad being a dick among other things, and basically got told the obvious and was offered nothing substantial other than therapy so I never went back. Took a fair few months but I managed to sort myself out. - 'Rehab'.

"You shrug, and it's the worst; who truly stuck the knife in first?" - 'You Know I'm No Good'.
"Over futile odds, and laughed at by the Gods. And now the final frame: Love is a losing game." - 'Love Is A Losing Game'.
"I cannot play myself again, I should just be my own best friend, not fuck myself in the head with stupid men." - 'Tears Dry On Their Own'.
"Life is like a pipe, and I'm a tiny penny rolling up the walls inside." - 'Back To Black'.
"What kind of fuckery is this, you made me miss the Slick Rick gig." - 'Me And Mr Jones'.
"What kind of fuckery are you? 'Side from Sammy you're my best black Jew, thought I could swear that we were through. I still wonder 'bout the things you do." - 'Me And Mr Jones'.

Edited by TBR, 05 August 2012 - 03:52 PM.

• Poom likes this

#3 SteveV

SteveV

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

Amy's lyrics are always special to me, but two songs stand out in my mind: "Love is a Losing Game" and "Wake Up Alone".
"It's not me personally, is it?......I'm just a musician."

http://www.starpulse... - SXSW - video[

#4 Ace of Hearts

Ace of Hearts

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:07 AM

[MENTION=2436]SteveV[/MENTION]. For lyrics, i have to agree with you on that. On a bad day, i can't listen to Wake Up Alone or Love is a Losing Game. Those two songs really hit it home for me.

I like her cleverness and her play with words, homonyms, like in Some Unholy War "Just us on the the kitchen floor - Justice done"

"Longer than frozen turkey" - classic line. Fk me pumps also has too many lines to mention.

But on an emotional level, what really sums up her writing and what really connects with me is "I cannot play myself again, I should just be my own best friend, not fuck myself in the head with stupid men".

#5 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:15 AM

As a whole, Stronger Than Me and Tears Dry on Their Own are my favorites. Love is a losing game is beautiful too. It's so hard to narrow it down. You Know I'm No Good really draws me in because of the lyrics... it's so "Amy"

"And life is like a pipe and I'm a tiny penny rolling up the walls inside"... usually love her phrasing when she sings this.
Of course the lines already mentioned from Me and Mr Jones
"It's got me addicted, does more than any dick did"
"Oh it's you again, listen this isn't a reunion So sorry if I turn my head"

Also... help yourself and the unreleased "when my eyes", it's like a stream of thoughts... really beautiful.

She was so amazing :(

P.S. Lyrically, wake up alone is one of my least favorites... strange, huh? Of course it's still great!!

Edited by allisost, 06 August 2012 - 03:32 AM.

#6 SteveV

SteveV

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:32 AM

Also... help yourself and the unreleased "when my eyes", it's like a stream of thoughts... really beautiful.

She was so amazing :(

P.S. Lyrically, wake up alone is one of my least favorites... strange, huh? Of course it's still great!!

"When My Eyes" is an underappreciated gem. The stream of consciousness lyrics are truly amazing. I should have included that one. I can see why some people might not like the lyrics of "Wake Up Alone". It's pretty intense. Maybe it's because some people see it as being about BFC? I ignore that and just imagine she's singing to me.:friendlywink:
"It's not me personally, is it?......I'm just a musician."

http://www.starpulse... - SXSW - video[

#7 Jademermaid

Jademermaid

I observe, I don't chase

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:39 PM

I heard love is blind (:

Posted Image

#8 Domi

Domi

Some Unholy War

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:45 PM

lyrics for Some Unholy War - my personal favourite.

Forever in my heart! I love you Amy.

#9 JackofHearts

JackofHearts

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:03 PM

"I'd rather him leave you than leave him my 'dro." -Addicted
"Mr. False Pretense you don't make sense. I just don't know you." -Take The Box
"You're Stephanie and I'm Paulette, you know what all my faces mean. And it's easy to smoke it up; forget, everything that happened in between." -Best Friend
"I'll battle 'til this bitter finale." -Some Unholy War

I also really love Amy, Amy, Amy. It's sad that she didn't like it herself. I love how it just oozes sex-appeal and lust. "From the side he pulls my hair."
There's just so many to choose from!

I know it's not her song, but when she sang Doo Wop (That Thing) by Lauryn Hill in live performances of He Can Only Hold Her it always really stuck with me. "Girls, you know you'd better watch out. Some guys, some guys are only about that thing."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#10 Eva

Eva

Banned Bitch!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:25 AM

most of the time, for me, it is the way she pronounces certain words n plays around with them....real cute like in "between the cheats" it's like she sang it in a happy, dazed cute way, blind and drunk on love..but that's not to say that she wasn't a wonderful write just becos i love her annunciation, gurl knows how to carry a tune

"my stomach drops an my guts churn
you shrug and it's the worst,
who truly stuck the knife in first?"

"he still stands in spite of what his scars say,
n I'll battle til this bitter finale"

"you'll never get my mind right,
like two ships passin in the night" // "the only time i hold ur hand...is to get the angle right"

"and no I'm not ashamed....but the guilt will kill u,
if she don't first"

"even if she's content in his warmth,
she is plagued with urgency,
searchin kisses,
the man she misses....
the man that he longs to be" // "so he tries to pacify her"

"should just be my own best friend n not fuck myself in the head with stupid men"

"I'm not used to this,
so now i sit with consequences thrust in my face....
and the melodramas of my day deliver blows,
that surpass ur rejection and it just goes to show
a simple attraction that reflects right back to me
so I'm not as into u as I appear to be" // "now I can't work like this wit you next to me"

also i agree wit everyone else, wake up alone just provokes some really beautiful imagery in my mind, and one of her finest moments is love is a losing game too, amy really knew how to paint a picture n bring it to life

"sometimes I go about in pity for myself,
and all the while a great wind is bearing me across the sky...
"

I wanna keep you here laying next to me
sharin our love between the sheets

起死回生

#11 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

other thread: http://www.amywineho...rom-Amy-s-songs

#12 holliegolightly

holliegolightly

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:46 PM

I typed " What kind of Fuckery is this" and framed it. Sits in my hallway so I see it everyday. Makes me laugh a little.

#13 Sassy

Sassy

I’m just a very whimsical person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:47 PM

"Do Me Good"

I pressed his chest under my fingertips
Beside myself, I sighed and reminded of his lips

It's like he was designed with me in mind
He's so broad from behind
He's beautifully defined

I miss him most of all when it got late
Attempt to hear him breathing
Or feel his shifting weight

#14 Hopscotchtears

Hopscotchtears

For You I Was A Flame.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:30 AM

I typed " What kind of Fuckery is this" and framed it. Sits in my hallway so I see it everyday. Makes me laugh a little.

I like this.

Fill my heart with song
Let me sing for ever more
You are all I long for.

#15 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:33 AM

[MENTION=3041]Hopscotchtears[/MENTION] What are YOURS?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users