12 replies to this topic

#1 ILoveAmyWinehouse

ILoveAmyWinehouse

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

This is my first time hearing this. I love hearing demos, especially Amy's. What do you all think?

Honestly, I think Tony Bennett was great. But as I read here in other posts, I can defineley hear how damaged Amy's voice is hearing this demo of "body and soul". Her other demos are great, but this one I can tell her it was hard for her to breath her voice is strained. Poor Amy. Makes me a little sad to know how overly produced "body and soul" really was. I thought her voice was turning into Billie Holliday but after hearing this, I guess not.

On the upside, even with a strained voice Amy still sounds 1,000% better than basically every artist out today.

#2 mikeymikerson

mikeymikerson

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

I almost like her vocals better here than what showed up on the official release.

#3 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

I think she was out of practice and her confidence was shot. I like the beginning. It sounds like they put parts from different takes together.

#4 SarahMermaid

SarahMermaid

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

if you've watched the zen of bennett you'll see how amy is a shadow of her self. no confidence, the spark is gone. there was no rehearsal or vocal warm up either, which might've helped. But as we've discussed in other threads her voice was damaged still. Even her talking voice sounds different in the interview.

I almost prefer this version, too. :)

#5 ILoveAmyWinehouse

ILoveAmyWinehouse

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:59 AM

if you've watched the zen of bennett you'll see how amy is a shadow of her self. no confidence, the spark is gone. there was no rehearsal or vocal warm up either, which might've helped. But as we've discussed in other threads her voice was damaged still. Even her talking voice sounds different in the interview.

I almost prefer this version, too. :)

It seems that way especially in her last few performances. :(

#6 Mrs. Jones

Mrs. Jones

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

to be fair, Tony doesn't always nail it on the first go either...they definitely cut and picked the best parts of both

#7 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

Yupp I think tony is old. that's all i'm going to say.

#8 ILoveAmyWinehouse

ILoveAmyWinehouse

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:30 AM

Tony's old and his voice won't be the same as it was when he was younger, but he has taken care of his voice. I've seen him sing LIVE twice here in San Francisco (during the 50th anniversary of "i left my heart in San Francisco" song and during the Giants game). Both just a couple of months ago and for an old man, live, he was great.

I'm just talking about this specific recording and comparing Amy to her previous demos/vocals to her most recent before her death. It hurts to hear her sound so damaged at such a young age and put herself through what she did. But I still think Amy was great till the end even though her voice wasn't what it used to be.

#9 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:59 AM

I've watched some performances where I was embarrassed for him... if it were me, I'd retire, but maybe when you're a legend, you don't consider that some rather not listen to your fading talent and you do it because you enjoy it.

Edited by allisost, 05 February 2013 - 05:32 AM.

#10 Iulian

Iulian

against, not cause I believe it. just fun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

For a demo, it´s decent. I did enjoy it, a bit!

#11 Mrs. Jones

Mrs. Jones

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

Iulian, where ya been??!!!

#12 Iulian

Iulian

against, not cause I believe it. just fun

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

Iulian, where ya been??!!!

Not dead, just took a break when the false-suicide-teenagers invaded the forum ha!

#13 Mrs. Jones

Mrs. Jones

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

good to see you around here again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users