• 1,920 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:38 AM

The Camden New Journal
Published: 21 March, 2013
EXCLUSIVE by RICHARD OSLEY

Posted Image

Published: 21 March, 2013
EXCLUSIVE by RICHARD OSLEY

CAMDEN Council planners have been asked to give consent to a life-size bronze statue of Amy Winehouse looking over Chalk Farm Road from a terrace at the Roundhouse music venue.

The New Journal can reveal that official plans for the tribute have now been drawn up and lodged at the Town Hall.

The Amy Winehouse Foundation working with the Roundhouse Trust has hired the highly-regarded sculptor Scott Eaton to produce the work.

Planning papers said the statue will "show Amy in her prime, striking a pose beneath her iconic beehive".

The idea is partly to divert people to a permanent tribute and away from Camden Square, the quiet residential street where she lived and which remains the scene of fan pilgrimages. The 27-year-old singer – a six-time Grammy winner – died at her home there in July 2011.

It is also hoped the statue will be a lasting tribute to a performer who displayed a deep affection for the area and its legendary live music scene, while at the same time inspiring young men and women enrolled in the Roundhouse's creative arts courses.

The application submitted to Camden added: "The artwork aims to capture the vitality of Amy and her music by faithfully rendering her beauty and iconic sense of style. The design has Amy relaxing on the Roundhouse terrace gazing back at Camden Town. The piece is carefully composed with naturalism.. Her long flowing hair will be represented sculpturally with a touch of art nouveau styling. Other important style and wardrobe consideration include earrings, dress, shoes and a rose in her hair, all selected and approved by members of her family".

Mr Eaton has worked on several high-profile project including films such as Spielberg's War Horse and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

The organisers added in the paperwork: "We will not be allowing a 'shrine' to accumulate on the pavement or on the Roundhouse terrace itself. Signage will be erected politely request that visitors do not leave gifts, any items left will be cleared on a daily basis."

The statue will be seen from the road but not lit up at night to avoid crowds gathering at unsocial hours.

Ms Winehouse played at the Roundhouse in 2006 in support of Paul Weller as part of the BBC'S Electric Proms.

If given planning consent, it is hoped the work will be unveiled on September 14 this year – the day that would have been Ms Winehouse's birthday.

The idea for a statue has not been a secret. Her father Mitch Winehouse first revealed plans for the statue to the New Journal last summer. “Amy was in love with Camden," he said

“We wanted to have a bench in her memory outside her house in Camden Square, but there are so many hoops you have to jump through to do that, planning permission for one," he added, explaining why plans for a memorial had switched to the Roundhouse.

In a later interview with the newspaper, Mr Winehouse expressed irritation that some people seem opposed the idea of a statue on the grounds that she was not a good role model due to her well-publicised substance abuse. Mr Winehouse said: "The reason why there is going to be a statue of Amy at the Roundhouse, hopefully, is because everybody loved Amy. Amy was a human being and she was a strong girl who had weaknesses. Superman, the strongest man in the world, I know he’s a fictional character, but he had a weakness, which was a little green piece of rock called Kryptonite. So even the strongest people have their weakness."

He added: "Amy was a wonderful person, she did a lot for Camden, did a lot for kids, she was one of the greatest singers the world has ever known: why the hell shouldn’t we put a statue up? Just because it’s going to upset two people in Camden or Kentish Town? If you excuse my French, fuck ’em.”

http://www.camdennew...set-camden-town

Another pic, a view from all sides ...

Posted Image

Edited by Uno, 22 March 2013 - 04:35 PM.

Amy, if you are up there listening, thank you for sharing the incredible soundtracks of your life ...

#2 catpuss

catpuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

No one has commented on this statue, not really sure at the moment as it"s unfinished, the body looks like her but not sure the face picks up on the thing that at times made Amy beautiful.... We will have to wait and see.

#3 AmysAngel92

AmysAngel92

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:54 PM

Body looks great but the face is a mess, looks nothing like Amy.
Posted Image

#4 Cecilia

Cecilia

What kind of fuckery is this?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:46 PM

It's only a digital model, not the final design, so I'm sure the face will be tweaked - there's a higher resolution picture on the artist's website:
http://www.scott-eat...memorial-design

smoke.jpg?t=1397395921

#5 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:15 PM

For some reason I think Amy should be on her tip-toes in her ballet flats...

#6 MDPA

MDPA

"We all become what we once hated"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:57 AM

Wow! I absolutely love it. Totally captures the laid back sexiness of Amy. Tweak the face just a little and this is going to be an absolutely wonderful tribute to the one and only! :)

Posted Image
Amy J. Winehouse

1983 -

#7 BeehiveQueen

BeehiveQueen

Camden Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationHollywood, CA

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:57 AM

It's an honor to her, the family and her legacy. If I lived there I'd be pushing hard for this one.

#8 LRock10288

LRock10288

You Got To Call The Green Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 04:25 AM

I like the body, dress, and pose; it's very elegant. I agree with everyone else though on the facial features...hopefully that will look better when all is said and done!

#9 Mrs. Jones

Mrs. Jones

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

and the shoes aren't right, maybe her feet are slightly too big or something, but that doesn't look like heels Amy would wear.

#10 Sassy

Sassy

I’m just a very whimsical person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

and the shoes aren't right, maybe her feet are slightly too big or something, but that doesn't look like heels Amy would wear.

That was my first thought also. It makes a HUGE difference. To my recollection, she NEVER wore shoes like that. I would choose either her beige Louboutins or her ballet slippers. Anything else is just WRONG.

Also, her calves were very muscular. Added definition to her legs.

Hard to determine if they got her face right. There are plenty of HD pics of her classic profile out there to model it on.

#11 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

^I was thinking the same about her calves.
I have low expectations for the face just because I don't know how realistic a statue's eyes can look. Wonder how they'll do the tattoos?
The shoes look like something Barbie would wear. The peep toe shoes with the bow would be good... the ballet ones would be very Amy, I don't know if it would look good for the statue though.

#12 Mrs. Jones

Mrs. Jones

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

i thought the same about her calves/legs. I think those shoes look like secretary shoes, or very Barbie indeed! Jeez, we really are picky! ;-)

#13 ladyamy

ladyamy

No Greater Love Than What I Feel For You

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

It's a great idea, but the statue is awful to be honest. It looks nothing like her.

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

[quote name='Uno']The Camden New Journal
He added: "Amy was a wonderful person, she did a lot for Camden, did a lot for kids, she was one of the greatest singers the world has ever known: why the hell shouldn’t we put a statue up? Just because it’s going to upset two people in Camden or Kentish Town? If you excuse my French, fuck ’em.”

For once I agree with Mr. Winehouse. He couldn't have said it better.
I’m a firm believer that we all meet up in eternity

#14 SarahMermaid

SarahMermaid

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

hopefully they will tweak the face legs/shoes in finished product. wonder will they add the tattoos?

#15 ancre

ancre

Just friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

I understand that you're picky. So am I coz it's all about Amy!

By the way I have a likkle comment on shoes. They look like these ones:

Posted Image

It was a gift from designer Jonathan Kelsey, who designed a shoe in the name of Amy in 2008. These shoes were available to buy in Saks.

Me personnaly I'd prefer something more Amy coz she wore them once or two...

PS
Mr Eaton, here are some Amy's shoes listed to your reference ;)

http://pinterest.com...inehouse-shoes/

Edited by ancre, 28 March 2013 - 12:31 PM.

• MarthaVasil likes this
"I trust my instincts, and that’s what has got me where I am, y’know?" (Amy)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users