You do?? I couldn't tell at all ha

#62 Elsie

Elsie

eek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:43 PM

damn what show is that from? she sounds like she's in a lot of pain.

it's from that (pretty awful) EMA performance. Did a Beyonce fan make that video, I mean damn couldn't they have found a better version.

He still stands in spite of what his Mars bar says.

#63 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:48 PM

it's from that (pretty awful) EMA performance. Did a Beyonce fan make that video, I mean damn couldn't they have found a better version.

thank you, lol

#64 Katausa

Katausa

♥ Kat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:13 AM

Of course they could have found a better version.
But, I guess they were trying to get as close to Beyoncé's version as they possibly could.
And somehow I think they have failed.

Posted Image

No offence, Queen Bey.. but..

" If I died tomorrow, I would be a happy girl. " - Amy

#65 WhoDat

WhoDat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:59 PM

Luhrmann's vision of Gatsby sounds ghastly anyway, completely lacking in any subtlety and is pretty much an exercise in style over substance, which is pretty much anti-Gatsby, but as far as contemporary music goes, I think Amy's music would fit perfectly in a soundtrack for a film version of the novel. It's old timey while remaining timeless, melancholic and dramatic. It fits, I think.

That said, it would have to be Amy's voice on it for it to really work. It would be much more fitting. What I've heard of this version, I haven't really liked. I actually think Beyonce is a great all-round performer, probably the best in that regard since Michael Jackson, and I have a lot of respect for Andre 3000, he's pretty much a hip-hop legend. But it just doesn't sit right with me. It's such an intensely personal song, I don't know how Beyonce could ever relate to it. How could she identify with lyrics like "I love you much, it's not enough, you love blow and I love puff"? The original is pretty much untouchable, as far as I'm concerned. Don't mess with perfection. If they wanted a new version of it, I don't know why they couldn't simply rearrange the music or something, but keep the vocals. Having Beyonce sing it is really detaching any emotion from the song and is making it very "show biz", in my opinion.
"They laughed when I said I was going to become a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now." - Bob Monkhouse

#66 catpuss

catpuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

http://www.dailymail...ses-father.html

Seems like Mitch will get his money after all. I understand why to help the foundation....but it just comes over just so money grabbing(sorry)

how can they record another artists song without even asking and such a high profile film, someone from the royalties business Isn't keeping a close eye!

---------- Post added 21-04-2013 at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was 20-04-2013 at 11:50 PM ----------

Forgot to say the beyonce version is rubbish........

seems like new Amy album is on the way!

#67 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:52 PM

I just wonder how much he's profiting off the Foundation...surely he gets something out of it?
Of all things I would want him to put a stop to it would be Beyonce's cover..whatever. Maybe he had already approved the cover but said he didn't know about it (this just seems really strange) because of everyone's negative response to it... who knows, wish I didn't feel such negativity about him. I care more about what happens to her music than the good the Foundation is doing to be honest.....

#68 AmysAngel92

AmysAngel92

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:32 AM

I'd love nothing better than for Bey to get a law suit on her hands for covering this without permission, the fact that Mitch had no idea any of this was happening, I smell mess on the horizon

Posted Image

Heh heh.......Mitch is just a cabbie, he is not some experienced CEO of a large corporation. Yes.... he heckles people for money but thats him and part of his charm or lack of it. But I find it hard to believe that this is the first that he has heard of Beyonce covering B2B. Wouldnt the music publishing company notify him?

Looks like I was right

Posted Image
Posted Image

#69 SarahMermaid

SarahMermaid

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

i wonder how much of that article is true? looks like the dailymail lifted it from somewhere. "mitch winehouse told me" who is this "me?"

how exactly does copyright in music work? remember jay z remixed rehab and amy said in an interview she didnt know but was cool with it?

---------- Post added at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

ps: if it is true that more music is on way i really hope mark ronson doesn't butcher it like he did with will u still love me tomorrow...

#70 WhoDat

WhoDat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

I doubt Mitch has full ownership of the rights to Amy's music. I would presume the record label owns it too. If there is one positive from all this, it's that at least Amy's music is being kept alive.

As for the new album, is he just planning on putting together an album of Amy singing covers from her early years, or is there actually going to be original material there? That's one of the things that bothered me about the Lioness record - too many covers that I don't even think Amy herself would have bothered releasing. I find it astounding that there would be barely any new material in the vaults from the time in between Back To Black and Amy's death. Is there really nothing there to piece together an album of unreleased material post-Back To Black?
"They laughed when I said I was going to become a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now." - Bob Monkhouse

#71 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

^Check out this thread, it's ridiculously long, but I think there's a lot of discussion on leftover material:
http://www.amywineho...ght=third album

#72 MDPA

MDPA

"We all become what we once hated"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:25 PM

I can't help but feel that the original version would have fit perfectly in the Great Gatsby. Beyonce is just a machine. She's probably one of the last in line that I would want to hear a cover from, behind the likes of Kesha, of course. I think I would rather hear Dido cover it over Beyonce :disgust:

Posted Image
Amy J. Winehouse

1983 -

#73 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

I think I would rather hear Dido cover it over Beyonce :disgust:

I don't think I can go that far....haha. Beyonce's alright, she's just egocentric and overexposed.

#74 AmysAngel92

AmysAngel92

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:03 PM

They should have got Aretha or Stevie to sing B2B, would have been amazing.
Posted Image

#75 TBR

TBR

I still wonder 'bout the things you do

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 11:02 PM

Mitch has been tweeting about it again!

"I like Beyonces cover and have no probs. monies received will help lots of kids. She can do another cover if she wants. We need the money!"

I know people are gonna have a go at him because he never shuts up about the goddamn money but I can't help but find the way he phrases things and puts his foot in it time after time slightly endearing/hilarious. Reminds me of my Dad aha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users