Photo
- - - - -

Amy Winehouse: A family portrait at the Jewish Museum in Camden!

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#1 Cecilia

Cecilia

What kind of fuckery is this?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

http://www.jewishmuseum.org.uk/Amy

http://www.jewishmus...reset=contentpg

Temporary exhibition

Amy Winehouse: a family portrait

3 July – 15 September 2013

Click here to book online now!
The Jewish Museum is staging an original exhibition about Amy Winehouse, co-curated with her brother Alex and sister-in-law Riva. It is an intimate and moving exhibition about a much loved sister.
The family have given the Jewish Museum unprecedented access to Amy’s personal belongings that celebrate her passion for music, fashion, suduko, Snoopy, London and her family.
Amy was close to her family and had a strong sense of her Jewish roots and heritage. The exhibition will show many unseen photographs of Amy’s family life - Friday night dinners, Alex’s Barmitzvah and vintage photographs of their beloved grandmother Cynthia.
Located in Amy's Camden Town, the Jewish Museum is the perfect place to find out about the woman behind the music and beyond the hype.

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

There's an article in the Evening standard as well

Posted Image

The family of Amy Winehouse is hoping to re-claim her as a typical north London Jewish girl in a new exhibition.

Older brother Alex Winehouse and his wife, Riva, are collaborating with the Jewish Museum in Camden and giving unprecedented access to Amy’s belongings including the guitar he taught her to play on, her record and books collection and a vintage bar from her former home.

The show, which comes in what would have been her 30th year, will also include family photographs such as her brother’s barmitzvah ceremony, Friday night dinners and grandmother Cynthia who was a major style influence on Amy and was the subject of the tattoo on her arm.

Alex Winehouse said: “Amy was someone who was incredibly proud of her Jewish-London roots. Whereas other families would go to the seaside on a sunny day, we’d always go down to the East End. That was who we were and what we were.
“We weren’t religious, but we were traditional. I hope, in this most fitting of places, that the world gets to see this other side not just to Amy, but to our typical Jewish family.”

Abigail Morris, the museum’s chief executive, said it was fitting they told her story. “Amy Winehouse was an immensely talented, iconic and inspirational singer and she was a Jewish girl from north London.”

The idea for the show was sparked when the family offered the museum one of Amy’s dresses and talks began.
Ms Morris said some of the loans were very moving, such as her uniform from the Sylvia Young Theatre School and a Jewish cookbook. “She was very keen on making chicken soup. She would make it for her security guards.”

Amy Winehouse: A Family Portrait will run from July 3 to September 15. Admission to the museum, including free entry to the show, is £7.50 for adults.

http://www.standard....on-8611059.html

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

And in the Jewish Chronicle

Posted Image
The Jewish Museum exhibition includes previously unseen photos and memorabilia (Photo: the Jewish Museum)

read the full article here:
http://www.thejc.com...use-family-girl

And in Vogue:
http://www.vogue.co....useum-in-camden
  • HermanLiela likes this

smoke.jpg?t=1397395921

#2 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:41 PM

holy hell. that pic is gorgeous.

#3 ancre

ancre

Just friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:58 PM

Wonderful. OMG, it seems I could see it coz I'm going to be in London in one of those months :)

Among the displays will be a battered suitcase filled with photographs of loved-ones, which Winehouse and her father Mitch looked through just days before her death, as well as her record collection, the vintage bar she installed in her Camden home, her first guitar - which was originally shared with Alex - and her school uniform.
The exhibition will take visitors through the family's story in London's East End, starting with the arrival of her paternal great great-grandparents as immigrants from Belarus in the 1890s, and the Commercial Street barbershop that her great-grandparents, Benjamin and Fanny, opened.
Fans may be intrigued to study photographs of Winehouse as the younger sister of the barmitzvah boy, or discover that her grandmother, Cynthia, once dated the jazz musician, Ronnie Scott.
They will also be able to see a selection of Winehouse's iconic fashion choices, from the dress she wore when she preformed at Glastonbury in 2008 to the outfit she had on in the video for her single, Tears Dry On their Own.

Edit: I want it to be a permanent exhibition!

Edited by ancre, 10 May 2013 - 02:06 PM.

"I trust my instincts, and that’s what has got me where I am, y’know?" (Amy)

#4 Mrs. Jones

Mrs. Jones

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:58 AM

How exciting, this really should be a permanent exhibition.
I wish I could go!

#5 Birdieava

Birdieava

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:55 AM

wow Alex and Riva, you are amazing! :heart:
there is a video on youtube where amy herself talks about her love for guitar, the 'shared' guitar she learned to play on, and how she 'stole it' from alex.
if i find the vid, i will post it again (i think i have posted it before but i cant find it right now)...

"I must be a mermaid. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living."

- Anais Nin 

#6 Tara

Tara

This Bird Has Flown...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:15 PM

What a lovely idea. I'll definitely be going! :)
Posted Image

'Memories mar my mind, love is a fate resigned'

#7 oscar_lars

oscar_lars

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

I have to be there
Forever trusting who we are... and nothing else matters

#8 Miss Mermaid

Miss Mermaid

miss ya kid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 01:52 PM

yep - hoping to go to this as it near to where i work :)

#9 Jade Logic

Jade Logic

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:03 PM

I agree it should be a permanent exhibit.
:heart: Jade Logic :heart:

#10 AnnaAnna

AnnaAnna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:13 PM

I'll be in London during July and I will definitly visit that exhibition:-)!

#11 ILoveAmyWinehouse

ILoveAmyWinehouse

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:27 AM

What I would do to be in London!?!!! The sucky part about living in the USA is not being close to anything Amy! I hope (if $$ is right) I will be fortunate enough to make a trip to London and to also check this out. I agree with the above posters, this should be a permanent exhibition.

Life is like a pipe, & I'm a tiny penny rolling up the walls inside. - Amy Winehouse "back to black"
Amy Jade Winehouse in my heart, mind, and ears FOREVER my lioness.

#12 CreativeAmyCanuckerGal

CreativeAmyCanuckerGal

" I said No, No, No "

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:28 PM

Wow...that sounds like that is going to be quite the exhibit...If I lived there, I'd be going ..... I hope it does well :)

#13 oscar_lars

oscar_lars

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:06 PM

Tickets purchased for 12/09 :encouragement:
Forever trusting who we are... and nothing else matters

#14 BeehiveQueen

BeehiveQueen

Camden Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationHollywood, CA

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:04 AM

I'll be there in September---I hope the exhibit is still there!

#15 Tara

Tara

This Bird Has Flown...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:44 PM

Some details on the layout...

http://www.designwee...3036643.article

Consultancy studioDiem is creating the exhibition design for Amy Winehouse A Family Portrait - a show about the late singer to be staged at London’s Jewish Museum next month.

The content for the exhibition has been co-curated by Elizabeth Selby at the Jewish Museum and Amy’s brother Alex Winehouse and aims ‘to celebrate [Amy Winehouse’s] Jewish roots and early life in a positive manner’, says studioDiem.

The show has been organised to tie in with what would have been Amy Winehouse’s 30th birthday.

studioDiem was brought in to work on the project in May this year, having been invited to pitch. As part of the pitch it brought in Mash Chudasama at Mash Design to work on exhibition graphics.

The graphic style is directly inspired by Amy’s writing as a teenager when she submitted an essay to join the Sylvia Young Theatre School in London in 1997.

Arnaud Dechelle, studioDiem founder, says, ‘I believe the Amy exhibition has an interesting and unusually personal premise that we are translating directly into our design and graphic approach using personal testimonies, specially written captions by her brother Alex and previously unseen family pictures.

‘[Amy Winehouse] had a really wicked sense of humour which was already encapsulated in that one letter, so key quotes [used on graphics] emulate her handwriting. It’s about inviting people in and discovering a bit more about her ties to her family and heritage.’

studioDiem says the main inspiration for the exhibition design concept is drawn from a vintage suitcase in which Amy kept family pictures.

Dechelle says, ‘Early on the family showed the curator a very interesting suitcase with lots of pictures in there. In a way it’s a snapshot of her life in that suitcase - the sections were organised around it loosely chronologically.

‘The big concept is having the suitcase right at the centre.’

Items on show include family photographs, such as this image of a young Amy on a balcony, which was taken at her grandparents’ flat in Southgate in North London.

Original pictures and reproductions are suspended from the ceiling and fixed in frames along the walls ‘as if they flew out of the suitcase’, says studioDiem.

Objects, grouped into themes such as Family, Music or Fashion, are to be displayed in open cases.

Amy Winehouse A Family Portrait will run from the 3 July to 15 September 2013 at the Jewish Museum, 129-131 Albert St, London NW1
Posted Image

'Memories mar my mind, love is a fate resigned'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users