Photo
- - - - -

Amy Winehouse: A family portrait at the Jewish Museum in Camden!

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#31 Amy Jenna Harper

Amy Jenna Harper

Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:39 AM

I want to visit the museum,thank you.
You know it is in Camden?

One name,one word : Amy <3
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#32 Tara

Tara

This Bird Has Flown...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:48 AM

BBC video on the exhibition... http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-23146639

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

I agree with Alex when he said Amy wouldn't care for this exhibit much... where's a pic of the ballet pumps?

I agree with Alex too, Amy wouldn't want to be put on a pedestal - in fact that was a big problem for her (although to be fair, the exhibit seems to be emphasising her roots, which is a good thing IMO.) But then, if she were still around, there would be no need for this exhibition or all the eulogising that goes with it.
Posted Image

'Memories mar my mind, love is a fate resigned'

#33 charloca

charloca

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:23 PM

So excited to be there! Will be there 4 days from now :) .. Agree, it should be permanent. And where better for an Amy exhibition to be but in The Jewish Museum. I don't think she would've wanted it to be anywhere else - that's if Amy would've wanted an exhibition for herself at all, in the first place, but that's just Amy :)
www.facebook.com/AmyWinehouseAnythingEverything < My Amy Page :heart:

Lets Just Say I'll Make Sure My GreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreat Grandchildren (& The Rest) Know About Miss Amy Winehouse & How She Changed My Life ...

#34 Sassy

Sassy

I’m just a very whimsical person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

So excited to be there! Will be there 4 days from now :) .. Agree, it should be permanent. And where better for an Amy exhibition to be but in The Jewish Museum. I don't think she would've wanted it to be anywhere else - that's if Amy would've wanted an exhibition for herself at all, in the first place, but that's just Amy :)

Lucky YOU!! Come back with stories!!

#35 charloca

charloca

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:51 PM

Lucky YOU!! Come back with stories!!

I will!!! .. Will upload pics to my Amy page too! - can't add a link because haven't done enough posts, buts its the usual Facebook address + /AmyWinehouseAnythingEverything .. Will let you know when I've uploaded all the pics to there :)

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

Oh, u can see my Facebook page on my signature :) .. there it is then ..

Sorry I'm new to posting this forum ..

Lets Just Say I'll Make Sure My GreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreat Grandchildren (& The Rest) Know About Miss Amy Winehouse & How She Changed My Life ...

#36 Sassy

Sassy

I’m just a very whimsical person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:20 PM

I will!!! .. Will upload pics to my Amy page too! - can't add a link because haven't done enough posts, buts its the usual Facebook address + /AmyWinehouseAnythingEverything .. Will let you know when I've uploaded all the pics to there :)

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

Oh, u can see my Facebook page on my signature :) .. there it is then ..

Sorry I'm new to posting this forum ..

Following you on FB. LOVE your page!

#37 charloca

charloca

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

Following you on FB. LOVE your page!

Thank you!!! Appreciate the supports a lot :)

#38 Jmoney

Jmoney

Mr. Magic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:06 AM

Glastonbury Dress, Family Photos & Those Ballet Pumps: Amy Winehouse's Life Put On Display At New Exhibition

Amy Winehouse will be seen like never before at a special exhibition housed at the Jewish Museum in Camden, which showcases the late singer's most treasured belongings from both her family life and career, as the second anniversary of her death approaches.

The 'Tears Dry On Their Own' singer, who died on July 27, 2011, was clearly somewhat of a hoarder judging by the irreplaceable items found at the brand new exhibition, 'Amy Winehouse: A Family Portrait,' which opens to the public tomorrow.

Organised by Amy's older brother Alex and his wife Riva, the effort and emotions which went into the display is evident as hundreds of vintage vinyl records, school photos, uniforms and even a large family tree stemming back to when Harris Winehouse accidentally arrived in the UK instead of New York.

http://static.entert...awinehouse3.jpg The dress Amy wore for her Glastonbury festival performance in 2008 (Alicia Adejobi)

EntertainmentWise spoke to the museum's director Abigail Morris, who explained how her collaboration with Alex on the exhibition came about.

“I think it happened quite organically, it wasn't a pre-meditated decision. What happened was they came in and asked if we would like a dress. I talked to Alex and Riva and said it would be nice to have a few objects with her dress, and then he said it would be great to have an exhibition,” Morris said.

Perhaps most touching is the snippets from the audition essay which Amy wrote for the Sylvia Young Theatre School, which were spread across the room, and proved exactly how feisty yet intelligent a young Amy was.

“All my life I have been loud to the point of being told to shut up. The only reason I have had to be this loud is because you have to scream to be heard in my family. My family? Yes, you read it right! My mum's side is perfectly fine, my dad's family are the singing, dancing, all nutty musical extravaganza,” Amy wrote.

http://static.entert...winehouse23.jpg
Part of Amy's audition essay for the Sylvia Young theatre school (Alicia Adejobi)

Charming! Showing her tenacious spirit, Amy poignantly continued: “I've been told I was gifted with a lovely voice and I guess my dad's to blame for that. Although unlike my dad and his background and ancestors, I want to do something with these talents I've been 'blessed' with.”

Alongside heartfelt and sometimes funny messages written by her brother Alex, other items spread around the room include a rather snazzy guitar which he says is actually rubbish, notable outfits from her wardrobe including those infamous pink ballet pumps which she was often spotted wearing on nights out in her beloved Camden, the blue sequinned dress she wore for her Glastonbury festival performance in 2008 and backstage passes from other gigs.

Morris admits that the whole process of sifting through Amy's belongings was, as expected, very emotional for Alex.

“It's been very moving the whole thing and it was hard for him sometimes as well as being funny. He's not overly sentimental and he really knew Amy and he tells it like it is. Some of the things even he was surprised at discovering! He was surprised at what a hoarder she was!” Morris told us.

http://static.entert...awinehouse2.jpg
Amy Winehouse's post humous Grammy Award. She has won six in total (Alicia Adejobi)

Moving around the room and glancing at the unseen objects, it's clear to see that Amy was very much dedicated to her family life as she was her career.

One particularly touching quote from her Sylvia Young essay read: “But mostly I have this dream to be very famous. To work on stage. It's a life-long ambition. I want people to hear my voice and just forget their troubles for five minutes.”

And the shiny gold plated Grammy award positioned not too far away from this quote proved Amy did achieve her life-long dream.

http://www.entertain...-New-Exhibition

A few more display photos ...

http://news.images.i..._9j-4aaqsk.jpeg

http://www.standard....0/Book-pile.jpg

http://www.standard....w620/CASE-3.jpg
http://www.standard....Family-tree.jpg

http://www.standard....tage-passes.jpg

http://extras.mngint...e~2_GALLERY.jpg

http://extras.mngint...e~4_GALLERY.jpg

Omg I would love to see this

Edited by Jmoney, 04 July 2013 - 06:35 AM.

#39 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:25 AM

^What??
We can go if you want...you're paying tho..whole trip.

#40 Tiny Penny

Tiny Penny

Play all my records, keep dancing all night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:25 PM

I am beyond excited about this, I have just booked tickets for 7th Aug - any other Amy fans around at that time, let me know. I think I will be an actual mess looking at her actual things...
I love you in a place where there's no space or time...Forever you will be a true friend of mine:)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#41 Uno

Uno

It's bricked up in my head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:04 AM

Amy Winehouse exhibition is more than just a fashion fest

The exhibition commemorating Amy Winehouse at Camden's Jewish Museum focuses on the late singer's enduring relationship with her family.

Posted Image
Amy Winehouse performing in a Luella dress at Glastonbury in 2008 Photo: REX

'Style icon' is the most misapplied phrase in fashion parlance, even if the icon in question is a jazz singer as stylish as Amy Winehouse. Her premature death in 2011 had fashion brands falling over themselves to offer original responses. Fendi, for instance, released this statement:

"We met Amy in Paris, fresh from having won five Grammys. That night, everyone discovered that in addition to a genius voice Amy also had an exceptional and very British sense of humor. Having restyled the Fendi dress she was wearing that night, she said with a wink: 'Forgive my ignorance, I don't know anything about fashion....' We are very sad for the loss of such a unique talent that in many ways transcended music, fashion, and culture."

Thankfully, an exhibition entitled Amy Winehouse: A Family Portrait at Camden's Jewish Museum, focuses not on her penchant for strapless dresses, but on her enduring relationship with her family.

To that end, the most illuminating exhibits are the photographs of Winehouse's grandmother, Cynthia. The likeness between grandmother and granddaughter is uncanny - in one photograph, taken in the 1940s, Cynthia wears an off-the-shoulder black and white gingham dress and bow-embellished platform slingbacks, her lush black hair marked with a streak of white in the fringe.

Winehouse fans will recognise the style signifiers: in 2009 she put a blonde streak in her signature beehive barnet, and one of her favourite dresses, on show at the exhibition, was a gingham Arrogant Cat dress she wore in the video for the 2007 single 'Tears Dry on their Own'.

Posted Image
Amy Winehouse on the set of her video in 2007. Photo: REX

Another photograph, depicting Cynthia smoking a cigarette and leaning against the railings of 42 Albert Gardens, Stepney, where she grew up, displays the familiar insouciance of Amy. Amy's brother, Alex, who along with his wife Riva collaborated on the exhibition with curator Elizabeth Selby, writes: "Our nan, Cynthia, was a strong woman. She claimed to be a medium, and taught Amy how to read tarot cards. She was so glamorous and never looked anything but her very best."

Also included in the exhibition is the tiny blue Luella dress she wore to perform at Glastonbury in 2008, displayed on a custom-made mannequin ("We had to get the mannequin specially made because the others were too big," Selby tells me), and a selection of her sky-high designer shoes by Miu Miu and Christian Louboutin - but these are an unfussy addition to an exhibition that's about more than clothes.

Amy Winehouse was stylish in the true sense of the word: she was distinctive. Those seeking a Bowie-style fashion odyssey should look elsewhere. In the words of her brother Alex: "Amy's favourite clothes were probably just the stuff she wore around the house - jogging bottoms, t-shirts and manky bras."

http://fashiontelegr...shion-fest.html
Amy, if you are up there listening, thank you for sharing the incredible soundtracks of your life ...

#42 WhatsInsideHerNeverDies

WhatsInsideHerNeverDies

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:09 PM

Oh my! I'd love to see it! Hope I can make it before it's over.

#43 Cecilia

Cecilia

What kind of fuckery is this?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:11 PM

I`m old and boring and heard this too. Old and boring high 5???

High 5! :-D

Here's another video of the exhibition, from Jewish News 1:

smoke.jpg?t=1397395921

#44 BeehiveQueen

BeehiveQueen

Camden Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationHollywood, CA

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:37 PM

I got my tickets for Sept 9th last week! Excited to go. Interesting to be away from my family during Yom Kippur though.

#45 charloca

charloca

Noob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:23 AM

I went yesterday. Wow! It's quite surreal looking at everything thinking Amy used that; that was in Amy's home; Amy chose that; Amy wore that .. all very surreal, emotional but amazing. Alot of what's there has been seen in photos, but it's just SO different when you're there within touching distance, and there are other things which were little surprises that I never knew were going to be there. The things that I can't stop remembering are:
- Amy's gorgeous floral-sequiny Luella dress that she wore at Glastonbury - it's teeny! And so beautiful but the flowers are not so delicate looking, they are actually quite chunky looking in a more beautiful sense than what you think. Really stunning, with beautiful shoes that look as if they've just come out of the box.
- Ofcourse, Amy's ballet pumps. They are one of the 1st things you sees - i tried to take a photo, but was stopped :( .. They are very petite, bowless and you can see they've been worn by Amy :) .. They were sat underneath Amy's Tears Dry dress, which is just like it is in the pictures. Very teeny too. Everythings so teeny, just as I imagined. Although I thought amy's heels were going to be minuscule, like a size 3 or 4, but she's actually a size (UK) 5 - I'm sure I already knew that but obviously didn't remember.
- Another thing that I loved was Amy's retro curved bar! It was so Amy! All vintagey and retro - like something from an Only Fools & Horses set, but Alex said that Amy never actually used the bar, she just chucked her bills and post on it.
- Loved Amy's quiz books too, they were CrossWords & Fiendish Sudoku, in an old wooden box filled with lots of loose coloured pencils and biro pens. That made me smile cos CrossWords and Sudoku are the only quiz books I <3 too - Amy's got good taste! Alex said (there were lots of little write-ups, written by Alex, beside all the sections, saying personal things) that Amy would do her quiz books when she had a quiet moment to, and she'd sit in the corner quietly and do them. He also said that (in other words) that he thinks Amy was a bit embarrassed/ashamed of her cleverness, that she'd have Jackie Collins novels all over the place, but other books were kept hidden - can't remember the exact name of the books, but had never heard of them before.
- Also really loved a compilation put together by Amy on 01/11/01. The CD cover read: 'Human Blues' .. 'Felix, Matt and Amy', but the CD itself had obviously been written on by Amy in her sweet way. At the top of the CD it read, in blue marker: 'Human Bloos', then below, along the bottom curve, it read: 'Felick, Mat & Aymeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee' < with all the eeeee's in joint hand writing going up the CD's curve. Really loved that :)

Could go on and on and oonnnnn but have done a looooooooooong write-up on the exhibition, on my Amy fb page, but couldn't help but repeat myself just now :) .. I want to go again and again and again! And wish i could've took photos but you're not allowed :( .. Anyhow, I've got my memories .. Hopefully you all are lucky enough to visit too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users