• Please log in to reply
1324 replies to this topic

#421 inwinoveritas

inwinoveritas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:03 PM

yeah, finally a real documentary, there's plenty out there with YouTube videos and some unimportant ppl chatting all over and Information which is either useless, half-true or something, even ppl, who aren't declaring or defining themselves as fans, already knew from either her WIKI-page or from her artis description @ mtv.com or universal-Music.com or what not. The most annoying thing about such documentaries is ppl, who are unrelated to her, buut are telling the audience about the way, they felt,when this scandal or that one occured and tell them their opinions about everything not necessary. This, on the other hand is a real doc, and it took someone a long time (and much more money), to make interviews, do the research and the quality of the picture and the whole scenes is also much better. This is defintely a quality production and not some stupid gossip epos.

And speaking of investing much time and money into that movie: like mentioned earlier, Mitch was criticizing the doc, because he doesn't come off that well. I think, it is really unfair of him, to say that, because this doc took a very long time and was made really accurate. and actually, they were doing him even a favor by not letting him look as bad as in the raw Version of the doc. and what did he do?? he, however, criticizes it. he never made an accomplishment as big as theirs, to talk like that. But maybe, he just loves to stand in the center, maybe, he knew, that the media (agsin) would be all over him and he could read himself in the newspaper, if he ranted about the doc. i guess, he just hates to be ignored and knows exactly, how to deal with that. One sentence and all the articles on the doc are at least partly based on him. his big ego might not Need it, though....

• King Marty and The Other Side like this

#422 Tara

Tara

This Bird Has Flown...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 09:35 PM

The trailer made me cry too - and I try to stay objective with Amy, but every now and then, it just hits me all over again... 

Posted Image

'Memories mar my mind, love is a fate resigned'

#423 mayday

mayday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:21 PM

you know im no good is the reason why i got into amy and if they play it during the documentary i swear to god i might start crying.. 

#424 mayday

mayday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:29 PM

can't wait
  • mayday likes this

#425 Jayne

Jayne

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:35 PM

I think we need to be just as tolerant of Mitch's weaknesses as Amy's repeated failures at keeping it together and dealing with her problems.

This guy is obviously carrying a huge amount of guilt, which he is NOT dealing with. It clearly was too early for him to make this documentary. While the film makers felt they could look at her life as a whole (her childhood, upbringing, relationships, the media, fame, music industry, etc.), Mitch (and Reg for that matter) is clearly struggling to see how he fits in this big complicated puzzle. 

It pisses me off, and sometimes I wish I could just shake some sense into him, but remember that he is only human, and therefore imperfect, as was Amy. And most importantly he is grieving. So yeah, he's still making mistakes when it comes to dealing with Amy. If he could only take a step back and place himself above this whole situation, he would see that this documentary is actually a positive thing for Amy's legacy, particularly the fact that it is in mainstream news (ie not just hardcore fans knowing how great she was). But it's obviously still a very touchy subject for him, and when you factor in his personality (enjoying the limelight), it just makes it very messy for the Winehouse family.

I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.  

Mitch can never be objective regarding the film as it's his daughter, no matter what you  think of him he loved Amy dearly and she adored her dad. It must be so difficult for the Winehouse family and yes maybe it's a little too soon.

I just hope that once the film is released Amy is portrayed in a more positive light and she is remembered for her unique talent and not her personal life.  Maybe when Mitch gets feedback from fans about what they thought of the film me may feel differently about it.

I don't see the point to criticising especially given that we have not even seen the film yet.

• King Marty and HelloSailor like this
Jayne, proud to be a member of Amy Winehouse Forum since Jul 2007.

#426 inwinoveritas

inwinoveritas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 11:57 PM

yeah, we haven't seen the movie yet, so it could be like anything, but according to some reviews, Mitch, along with Blake and Raye, comes of as a villain in the film. and given the fact, that the original documentary would have made him look even more evil, he should be glad, that they had softened his appearance and maybe cut out some sequences. You're right, he haven't seen it yet and should make up our on minds about it. But i have just been questionig the way, Mitch criticized their work and how he hates to be shown in a rather negative spotlight.

#427 HelloSailor

HelloSailor

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 09:17 AM

I just hope that once the film is released Amy is portrayed in a more positive light and she is remembered for her unique talent and not her personal life.  Maybe when Mitch gets feedback from fans about what they thought of the film me may feel differently about it.

That's what I hope for also. It's a knee-jerk reaction from the family, they're worried about coming across as complicit in her demise, because they probably ask themselves that everyday "what could I have done differently?". It's horrible when you lose someone to addiction, it leaves a big trail of guilt behind, which they are all obviously struggling with (a lot of reviews mention Juliette also struggling with this also).

We need to show some compassion, and give the family some time to come round. Once the film is released and people start to realise how great Amy was, they might be able to accept things a bit more.

Amy did not evolve in a vaccum, she is of course a product of her family and entourage, we all are! That's why when the film makers mention the divorce and absent father, I dont find that shocking. Or how the family didn't really know how to deal with her teenage bullimia. Many of my friends are fucked up from their parents' divorce or other family shit, there's nothing unusual in Amy's story, a lot of people are pained from their childhood. The difference is she then continued to evolve in public, under the spotlight. 

For me, mentioning her struggles as a kid, with her family, is just part of her story, not anyone trying to place blame. Of course, the documentary also focuses on the family once Amy was an adult, and their questionable choices (Mitch and the film crew in St Lucia, etc.), but there are no manuals for dealing with an addict or fame! They admit they made mistakes, but they adored Amy. 

We can be harsh on the music industry and the paparrazi, because that's business. But her family is different.

• Jayne and TBR like this

#428 TBR

TBR

I still wonder 'bout the things you do

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:06 PM

That's what I hope for also. It's a knee-jerk reaction from the family, they're worried about coming across as complicit in her demise, because they probably ask themselves that everyday "what could I have done differently?". It's horrible when you lose someone to addiction, it leaves a big trail of guilt behind, which they are all obviously struggling with (a lot of reviews mention Juliette also struggling with this also).

We need to show some compassion, and give the family some time to come round. Once the film is released and people start to realise how great Amy was, they might be able to accept things a bit more.

Amy did not evolve in a vaccum, she is of course a product of her family and entourage, we all are! That's why when the film makers mention the divorce and absent father, I dont find that shocking. Or how the family didn't really know how to deal with her teenage bullimia. Many of my friends are fucked up from their parents' divorce or other family shit, there's nothing unusual in Amy's story, a lot of people are pained from their childhood. The difference is she then continued to evolve in public, under the spotlight. 

For me, mentioning her struggles as a kid, with her family, is just part of her story, not anyone trying to place blame. Of course, the documentary also focuses on the family once Amy was an adult, and their questionable choices (Mitch and the film crew in St Lucia, etc.), but there are no manuals for dealing with an addict or fame! They admit they made mistakes, but they adored Amy. 

We can be harsh on the music industry and the paparrazi, because that's business. But her family is different.

This sums up what I've been feeling about Mitch and the family. A lifetime of decisions and ultimately mistakes are being dissected for the world to see and leaves the viewer to form a conclusion about culpability. We've always known Mitch didn't make the greatest decisions in regards to his family but we have hindsight and removal from the situation to judge relatively objectively. When those series of decisions is your life, of course you're going to be upset when either it doesn't sync with how you perceived the situation or when you realise some unpleasant truths about how you've conducted yourself and it's too late to rectify that. It was an unfortunate situation for everyone involved and slinging blame at anyone's door just seems cruel after everything. I'm not Mitch's biggest fan but I feel like people need to lay off him and the family; Amy's always going to be a sore subject for them and I honestly think they still needed more time before they got involved with things like this movie and the press. 

Like you say, Amy was a product of her environment and experience. While Mitch plays a central role in that, he's certainly not the sole contributor.

• HelloSailor likes this

#429 Soul Power

Soul Power

More than a fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:37 PM

I don't know if I'll cry because I don't like doing that in public but I'll probably have a million goosebumps! It's strange, with as many people as I hear that are going alone because no one else gets it, you're going to be in a theater full (hopefully) of people who are at least a little interested in Amy. 

It is weird isn't it? I mean, I am going alone because no one else gets it.  And I have mixed feelings about the fact that I'll be in a theater full of strangers. 

On one hand, I am excited about witnessing people walk in there who are maybe just curious about Amy, and leaving as fans...and maybe touched by her the way we are.  I think it can't help but bring her new fans and further her legacy. 

On the other hand, there's a side of me that's very protective of Amy.  I remember once at a party I overheard someone say something like "oh, you know who's really messed up is that Amy WInehouse".  Then it got quiet as a few of my friends shushed her and whispered that I looooooooooove Amy WInehouse and maybe they shouldn't discuss her.  Kind of sweet now that I think about it...at least they understand how I feel about Amy if not why I feel the way I do.

So the point was that the downside of seeing it in the theater is the possibility that people will just be watching it as entertainment I guess.  I think it comes down to me not appreciating how anyone could have just a passing interest in her.  It irritates me.  Part of me want there to be a separate theater for diehards.  (Yes, I already know I'm ridiculous.) 

Honestly, before reading your post allisost, I never considered the fact that I may be sitting next to a stranger bawling my eyes out.  I pictured myself off in a secluded corner or something.  Haha. Oh well...I don't like crying in public either but there's something about Amy and her story that cuts past all that.  And that's always been part of the attraction, really.  She just makes me feel, without thinking or worrying about anything else...like what people will think of a grown-ass man crying in a crowded theater.

• King Marty likes this

#430 Guest_Chris_*

Guest_Chris_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:47 PM

Part of me want there to be a separate theater for diehards.

Me too.

#431 melnyk

melnyk

The Lighthouse Keeper

• Administrators
  • 1,471 posts
  • Location🇺🇦 Ukraine 🇺🇦

Posted 21 May 2015 - 03:53 PM

...there was a stupid remark about movie theaters full of strangers who're crunching their popcorn, giggling and making stupid remarks...

• inwinoveritas and The Other Side like this

V.Melnyk

#432 WhoDat

WhoDat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 04:42 PM

Like you say, Amy was a product of her environment and experience. While Mitch plays a central role in that, he's certainly not the sole contributor.

To be fair, I don't think anyone is saying that he is the sole contributor. Any review I've read of the film has said that it doesn't seek to lay the blame with any individual person, but acknowledges that it was a culmination of things that brought about Amy's death. I think everyone knows that there are multiple reasons why she ended up the way she did, and it seems the documentary is fair in that sense. It sounds like neither Mitch nor Blake come out of it smelling of roses, but I don't think it is saying that either one of them are singularly to blame for her death either. 

Honestly, I think Mitch needs to take a step back from the limelight. Inserting himself into every public conversation about Amy and trying to control it isn't going to make him feel any better. Blake needs to do the same too. 

• King Marty likes this
"They laughed when I said I was going to become a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now." - Bob Monkhouse

#433 aleWinehouse

aleWinehouse

Noob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationNatal - Brazil

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:45 PM

334iwc9.jpg
#NewSong : "Detachmente"
  • Uno, King Marty and The Other Side like this

...I Go Back To Us... :amy_oops:

#434 aleWinehouse

aleWinehouse

Noob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationNatal - Brazil

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:50 PM

334iwc9.jpg
#NewSong : "Detachmente"

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=pOoCoDYN-xk
  • Uno likes this

...I Go Back To Us... :amy_oops:

#435 Uno

Uno

It's bricked up in my head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 07:17 PM

Isn't Detachment one of the 12 songs that are supposedly in the vault and that Amy asked Island Records not to release?

• inwinoveritas, melnyk and WhoDat like this
Amy, if you are up there listening, thank you for sharing the incredible soundtracks of your life ...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cannes, doc, documentary, film, movie

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users