1324 replies to this topic

#451 crol

crol

i'm not ashamed, but the guilt will kill you

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:35 AM

i find myself watching videos of her at 3am too, i'm in highschool and i only wish i knew a girl as different and as funny as amy was.

It's funny, because I really look up to Amy as a role model (even though I'm technically past the age of having role models). A lot of people would find that insane, but I just wish I could be as authentic, as true to myself and as emotionally honest and open as she was. So when you say you wish you knew a girl as different and as funny as Amy was... maybe you could be that yourself?

• TBR and melnyk like this

#452 mayday

mayday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 08:18 AM

It's funny, because I really look up to Amy as a role model (even though I'm technically past the age of having role models). A lot of people would find that insane, but I just wish I could be as authentic, as true to myself and as emotionally honest and open as she was. So when you say you wish you knew a girl as different and as funny as Amy was... maybe you could be that yourself?

yeah i guess you're right. i went the entire day not listening to her music cause it upsets me but at 4am i lost it, seriously can't wait to watch this documentary. 

#453 dykehaze

dykehaze

What the fuck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:02 PM

Kris Kristopherson summed up that kind of honesty in his Me and Bobby McGee tune popularized by none less than Janis Joplin. "Freedoms just another word for nothing left to loose". Amy obviously got that.

#454 Uno

Uno

It's bricked up in my head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:23 AM

Another review, this one by Forbes ...

New Amy Winehouse Documentary Will Leave You Heartbroken and Furious: Review
5/26/2015

On July 23, 2011, when Amy Winehouse joined the 27 Club—the group of famous musicians who have all died at that tender age— there was a sad sense of inevitability to her passing. The combination of her immense talent and even greater self-destructive tendencies were opposite ends of a lit candle that was destined to burn brightly but extinguish itself much too soon.

In Amy,  the riveting new documentary directed by Asif Kapadia, the British singer’s life is examined from an early age, portraying her as someone who was always a little too much to handle for her parents and always a little too vulnerable for her own good. Mix that with depression, drugs, sycophants, and fame’s unrelentingly harsh glare—Winehouse says early and often that she thinks being famous will make her go mad—and the intoxicating elixir becomes a poisonous cocktail.

The film opens with home footage of a teenage Winehouse singing “Moon River” in a competition in 1998 and already showing a nascent command over her fluid, emotional vocals. Five years later, she had signed to Island Records and was on tour for her album Frank. In interview after interview, she considers herself a jazz singer, not a pop singer, who rails against the use of strings on her record, and, like Billie Holiday before her, is already aware of her potency for harm: “Now my destructive side has grown a mile wide,” she sings on “ What Is It About Men.”

Winehouse’s parents have lashed out against the documentary, claiming it misrepresents them, and there is good reason for them to be upset— at best, they come across as woefully naive and absentee; at worst, they are complicit in their daughter’s downward spiral. Her mom, Janis, talks about how Amy was a stubborn child who would tell Janis to be tougher on her since her mother seemingly had no idea how to parent a willful child. Later, when Winehouse becomes bulimic as a teen, her parents seem to think it’s just a phase. Winehouse’s dad, Mitch, started an affair when Amy was 18 months old, but didn’t leave her mother until Amy was 9. His departure and Amy’s desire to win his affection back at all costs plays out throughout the film, especially as he starts to enjoy her fame a little too much— including getting a reality show of his own.

If Winehouse’s drug addiction had a critical tipping point—and Winehouse’s seemed to have several— the one Kapadia decides to highlight is in 2005. Winehouse has broken up for the first time with the world’s worst boyfriend (and later her husband) Blake Fielder-Civil and her drinking is out of control. Many in her camp are trying to get her into rehab, but her father and her new manager (formerly her promoter) say she doesn’t have to go— and she doesn’t. Her dad’s words serve not only as the basis of her breakthrough international hit, “Rehab,” but also become a haunting reminder that the last best chance to stop Winehouse, who was not yet well known outside the UK, has passed.

Of course, in reality, there’s no way of knowing if getting Winehouse to rehab then would have stuck or changed the course of her life, but the movie makes the case that those who should have been looking out for an incapacitated Winehouse were already enjoying the gravy train too much to have her best interests at heart. No more so is that true than in 2007 after she has overdosed (with cocaine, heroin, alcohol and crack in her system) and her father refuses to take away her passport and make her go to rehab because he feels she needs to fulfill her touring obligations.

In that way, the movie plays out in a sad, familiar story that we’ve already seen too many times and just need to fill in the name, whether it’s with Kurt Cobain, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix or (even though he wasn’t 27), Michael Jackson.  In some cases, these artists were crying out for help, but there was always one more tour, one more album, one more one more…and the enablers were more interested in keeping the money coming in than letting the artist, who at that point seemed incapable of helping him or herself, get much needed assistance.

After Winehouse releases Back to Black, the album that brought her international fame and several Grammys, she says, “If I really thought I was famous, I’d go top myself,” in an interview. Sadly, that’s exactly what happens. Her music explodes all over the world and the paparazzi expand from a few buzzing bees to the entire hive. Kapadia does an excellent job of showing what it must have been like for Winehouse to live in the fishbowl, not even able to leave her own house without a flurry of flashes. The footage is claustrophobic and horrifying and plays out against Winehouse’s drug descent (of which there is also an immense amount of footage thanks to camera phones) as it gains velocity.

She manages to get sober when her husband goes to jail after her label head says she can’t go to the Grammys if she doesn’t clean up her act (she ends up playing remotely from London), but three days after her 2008 Grammy sweep, she starts the drugs again.

Her last few years are a descent into hell. She is unable to muster whatever resolve she needs to clean up permanently, anyone speaking truth to power no longer has access to her, and her bodyguard is doing all he can to hold it together, but it’s a losing game.

Amid the destruction, there are moments of tender beauty. Winehouse manages to get straight to record “Body and Soul” with her idol, Tony Bennett, and we get a glimpse of the career she could have had through his eyes. As he sees her struggle, Bennett gets the last word: “Life teaches you how to live it if you can live long enough.” But, in Winehouse’s case, her days ran out before the lessons could be learned.

Amy, distributed by A24, opens in New York and Los Angeles on July 3 and nationwide on July 10.

http://www.forbes.co...furious-review/

• Birdieava, melnyk and King Marty like this
Amy, if you are up there listening, thank you for sharing the incredible soundtracks of your life ...

#455 Mizzwanned

Mizzwanned

Noob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:16 AM

I completely agree. I looked up to her because she went out and became a successful singer and knew what school she wanted to go to even at a young age. She went out and did it all on her own. She was honest and raw, and put herself out there. I wish I could be that way as well. As humans most of us are guarded because of our fear of the publics reaction. But she still put her 'truth' out there in her lyrics. Even her most embarrassing ones( I could never put out lyrics like "I was thinking of you when I came") in fear that my parents would kill me haha. When I met Amy's mom I told her I love that she was so real, and told it like it was. Her mom was like not at all, she didn't.. Which surprised me. But her mom meant that she acted more tough in public than she really was. Her mom told me she put on a front, that she had her proper London accent when she was younger(the same one Janis has) and she came out as more cockney and tough in the media and in interviews but it was all an act. I think she was trying to keep part of herself private because everything was out there already so I understand that. She was actually very shy and super sweet(and goofy). I was trying to tell her mom i wish I was more like Amy was, in the sense that she said what was on her mind, always. She never hid what she thought to please others or to come across as a goody two shoes. And she was so so personal in her lyrics. To me, she was a lyrical genius.
  • crol and Poom like this

#456 WhoDat

WhoDat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:38 PM

It doesn't surprise me too much that she may have appeared differently in the media to how she actually was. Everyone has a public persona I think. I read something recently about the Shangri Las where Mary Weiss said that they didn't do anything to alter the 'tough girl' tag they had been given by the media and didn't try to suppress stories about them owning guns and such because it protected them from undesirables and they felt kind of safe behind that image. I wouldn't be surprised if Amy didn't mind the hard cockney girl stuff so much if it could be used as a sort of defense mechanism.
  • inwinoveritas, Mizzwanned and The Other Side like this
"They laughed when I said I was going to become a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now." - Bob Monkhouse

#457 mayday

mayday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:35 AM

went a day without listening to her music, it helped so much..i know as soon as i watch an interview the pain is gonna come back.

#458 massey123

massey123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Locationlincolnshire

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:52 PM

So Blake's name is on everyone's lips yet again and It's all kicking off here in the UK. Well, just take a look at what we have all had to say in the past week or so, especially on the subject of Mitch, the film and of cause Blake, and I'm still convinced he has visited us here at the forum. So Mitch is going to call in the lawyers? needs to be careful I think, this could all go wrong for him and that could have an effect on the foundation and It's image. We must consider that profits from this project will go to the foundation?

Mitch knew who gave amy her drugs,  he should be ashamed.

#459 Guest_Chris_*

Guest_Chris_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:15 PM

Mitch knew who gave amy her drugs,  he should be ashamed

Why? Please elaborate.

#460 mayday

mayday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:57 PM

i dont know how to say this but i feel like finally im starting to get over her death, i dont know if this is temporary but i havent listened to her music for a day or two until right now as im posting this, i dont want the documentary bringing all this sadness back..

#461 Guest_Chris_*

Guest_Chris_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2015 - 08:18 PM

i dont want the documentary bringing all this sadness back..

Amy was a genius of sadness.

#462 mayday

mayday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 10:09 PM

It's definitely easier to get over the death of someone you didn't know while they were alive than if you did.

yeah definitely but i'm sure as soon as i watch a interview of hers i'll start missing her like crazy. btw, what are your top 3 songs by her?

#463 Guest_Chris_*

Guest_Chris_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2015 - 10:29 PM

btw, what are your top 3 songs by her?

I can't pick just three. What are yours?
  • Mizzwanned likes this

#464 mayday

mayday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 04:33 AM

I can't pick just three. What are yours?

according to my itunes my most played are:

1. you know im no good

2. he can only hold her

3. what is it about men

although some unholy war would be tied with he can only hold her

• Birdieava likes this

#465 Ace of Hearts

Ace of Hearts

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:45 AM

Another favourable review - from my side of the world in Sydney Australia

http://www.smh.com.a...601-ghdqwl.html
  • Birdieava and melnyk like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cannes, doc, documentary, film, movie

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users