1324 replies to this topic

#526 TBR

TBR

I still wonder 'bout the things you do

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 04:54 PM

Just wondering WhoDat, was it just a snippet of Moon River or did the full thing play in the background?

#527 WhoDat

WhoDat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 04:56 PM

It's played at the beginning. Not the full song, I don't think, but a chunk of it.

• Uno and TBR like this
"They laughed when I said I was going to become a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now." - Bob Monkhouse

#528 HelloSailor

HelloSailor

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:13 PM

Right. Just watch it yourselves, guys. Make up your own minds.

Excatly. I'm eager for us to see it so we can discuss it more (because of course we don't all have the same opinion). I'm just basing my opinions on what we know so far, and of course seeing the film might change that.

I always got the impression that her and Tyler were close, but then I was a little confused when he seemed to be Mitch-approved. In his book, you can't always tell whether he's emphasizing Tyler's relationship with Amy because he's trying to re-write history, or to undermine Blake even more. For example, he mentions that Tyler was one of the only guys that Amy brought to her friday night family gatherings (and Blake never got to go).

However, I really feel like Tyler's got some things to say that Mitch wouldn't necessarily approve of.

We'll see...

• King Marty likes this

#529 HelloSailor

HelloSailor

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:15 PM

WhoDat, I wanted to ask : did you feel that the film's narrative was objective enough (i.e. that people can reach their own conclusions), or that it's the director's take on what really happened?

#530 The Other Side

The Other Side

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 690 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:58 PM

Sucks that none of the songs are in full version...

• King Marty likes this

#531 yulia

yulia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:44 PM

I know it's a long shot but I'd love to see the pool of footage they had to work from... maybe on a website or something? or a directors cut? seeing 'new' footage of Amy is so nice

#532 The Other Side

The Other Side

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 690 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:59 PM

I know it's a long shot but I'd love to see the pool of footage they had to work from... maybe on a website or something? or a directors cut? seeing 'new' footage of Amy is so nice

They will release it as extras. It's not out yet.

• Mizzwanned likes this

#533 WhoDat

WhoDat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:04 PM

Excatly. I'm eager for us to see it so we can discuss it more (because of course we don't all have the same opinion). I'm just basing my opinions on what we know so far, and of course seeing the film might change that.

I always got the impression that her and Tyler were close, but then I was a little confused when he seemed to be Mitch-approved. In his book, you can't always tell whether he's emphasizing Tyler's relationship with Amy because he's trying to re-write history, or to undermine Blake even more. For example, he mentions that Tyler was one of the only guys that Amy brought to her friday night family gatherings (and Blake never got to go).

However, I really feel like Tyler's got some things to say that Mitch wouldn't necessarily approve of.

We'll see...

I've only seen it once, so I can't remember everything that was said and a lot of people speak throughout, so it's difficult to remember who was speaking at different times. I remember Tyler speaking at the beginning, but he may have spoken again later on. Just certain parts and certain insights stick out to me on first viewing more than others - Juliette and Lauren, Nick's well-intentioned attempt to manage her early in her career, Raye's astonishing attempts to wash his hands of any responsibility regarding overworking Amy at a time when she was not mentally or physically well, the impression that Blake was not as in love with Amy as she was with him, the revelation that Mos Def had a bit of crush on Amy!

I'm sure if I watched it again, I would notice other things that I didn't catch first time around. I wasn't really keeping an ear out for Tyler, so he may have gone under my radar on first viewing. I'm sure when you guys see it, there'll be other things that you notice that I didn't pick up on.

WhoDat, I wanted to ask : did you feel that the film's narrative was objective enough (i.e. that people can reach their own conclusions), or that it's the director's take on what really happened?

I felt it was reasonably objective. Mitch's concern that he's being painted as the main villain sounds overly paranoid on his part, to me. It's clear that he made mistakes (bringing a camera crew to Saint Lucia for one), but the film by no means attempts to make out that he was the singular force of destruction in Amy's life. Blake comes out worse in that regard, imo.

Sucks that none of the songs are in full version...

When it's officially released or if there's a DVD, they might include the songs in full version. I want to hear Detachment in full. When they played a snippet of that in the film I was bopping away. I hope we get to hear a full version.

• Uno, King Marty, HelloSailor and 1 other like this
"They laughed when I said I was going to become a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now." - Bob Monkhouse

#534 The Other Side

The Other Side

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 690 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:17 PM

I've only seen it once, so I can't remember everything that was said and a lot of people speak throughout, so it's difficult to remember who was speaking at different times. I remember Tyler speaking at the beginning, but he may have spoken again later on. Just certain parts and certain insights stick out to me on first viewing more than others - Juliette and Lauren, Nick's well-intentioned attempt to manage her early in her career, Raye's astonishing attempts to wash his hands of any responsibility regarding overworking Amy at a time when she was not mentally or physically well, the impression that Blake was not as in love with Amy as she was with him, the revelation that Mos Def had a bit of crush on Amy!

I'm sure if I watched it again, I would notice other things that I didn't catch first time around. I wasn't really keeping an ear out for Tyler, so he may have gone under my radar on first viewing. I'm sure when you guys see it, there'll be other things that you notice that I didn't pick up on.

I felt it was reasonably objective. Mitch's concern that he's being painted as the main villain sounds overly paranoid on his part, to me. It's clear that he made mistakes (bringing a camera crew to Saint Lucia for one), but the film by no means attempts to make out that he was the singular force of destruction in Amy's life. Blake comes out worse in that regard, imo.

When it's officially released or if there's a DVD, they might include the songs in full version. I want to hear Detachment in full. When they played a snippet of that in the film I was bopping away. I hope we get to hear a full version.

I really hope they will include the songs in full as an extra. I doubt we will get anything more than this, unless Mitch makes his own film. Maybe we will get the different versions of B2B next year, who knows.

• King Marty likes this

#535 WhoDat

WhoDat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:46 AM

Btw, this is the snippet of Detachment that appears in the film, in case anyone hasn't heard it. Sounds like a little like Erykah Badu to me.

https://www.youtube....h?v=ntEUKez1Fto

• Mizzwanned, King Marty and The Other Side like this

#536 Soul Power

Soul Power

More than a fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 June 2015 - 03:18 AM

I really hope they will include the songs in full as an extra. I doubt we will get anything more than this, unless Mitch makes his own film. Maybe we will get the different versions of B2B next year, who knows.

That would be great...or a full-length soundtrack (doubt it).

While I'm at it, I'd also love to hear Frank remixed closer to what Amy envisioned (lose some of the string arrangements, etc.).

• King Marty likes this

#537 Mizzwanned

Mizzwanned

Noob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 10 June 2015 - 05:53 AM

A lot of her frank songs remind me of Erykah Badu style and Lauryn hill which makes sense cuz she was a fan
  • King Marty likes this

#538 The Other Side

The Other Side

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 690 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 10 June 2015 - 11:58 AM

Btw, this is the snippet of Detachment that appears in the film, in case anyone hasn't heard it. Sounds like a little like Erykah Badu to me.

https://www.youtube....h?v=ntEUKez1Fto

I really like that song. Cool you used my video!

• WhoDat and King Marty like this

#539 DARE TO BE D

DARE TO BE D

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 01:52 PM

The reviews of the documentary from the media have all been positive and somehow these same people who critized
her behavior / talked about her appearance / called her names now what to say what a talent we lost ..
I have to be honest its starting to make me upset NOT about the film itself but rather the 180 these same media
people are doing. Amy was all over the internet when she was struggling with personal issues. Now everyone wants
to join the bandwagon and say " what a Loss" .. Well they need to go back to those years and see what they were putting
out on the internet that contributed to disgrace behavior..
What they are writing now about her and the film is good press but she is not here NOW..
Its just sad to see that once again someone has to leave us to be apprecaited.. sad really ...
  • MandyP, Ace of Hearts, WhoDat and 2 others like this

#540 WhoDat

WhoDat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:01 PM

I think it just shows how much people trivialize mental health issues, and how the internet and media has made it so much easier for people to do that. Anyone can sit behind a keyboard and say anything they like about someone's appearance or personal issues or post a photo of an ill person in a bad state and they never have to see the consequences of what they've just done, they just get to feel smug about taking a shot at a famous person. If you had to walk up to a person and make fun of their appearance, you'd see that person crumple in front of you and it makes you realize that what you've said is really shitty and hurtful. That's how children tend to realize the rights and wrongs in social interaction, that's how they know that they shouldn't hurt their friends' feelings. In the world of the internet, no one ever has to experience the emotional reaction of the person they've made fun of, so it makes it much easier to depersonalize the whole situation and dehumanize strangers. And worst of all, people seem to think they have a right to do so simply because a person is famous or wealthy. The whole "This person is rich and famous, fuck them, why should they be depressed?" thing.

We have a long way to go in tackling mental health issues and society's attitudes towards it, and the media isn't helping by turning mentally ill celebrities into spectacles for people to poke fun at. They did it to Amy, they did it to Britney Spears (who is probably lucky to still be alive), and they'll probably continue to do it. No lessons are being learned, I don't think, which is probably the saddest part of all.

• pearljo, DARE TO BE D, Ace of Hearts and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cannes, doc, documentary, film, movie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users