1324 replies to this topic

#646 The Other Side

The Other Side

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 690 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:16 PM

I can't wait for the DVD release since there isn't a cinema near me that shows it. I was very scared they wouldn't include the extra footage they couldn't include in the movie. But seems like we are getting it!

• pearljo, Sassy, Birdieava and 2 others like this

#647 WhoDat

WhoDat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:34 AM

Well-written piece about the film from the New Yorker:

http://www.newyorker...social_facebook

• pearljo, Sassy and melnyk like this
"They laughed when I said I was going to become a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now." - Bob Monkhouse

#648 catpuss

catpuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:48 AM

[quote name="TBR" post="213249" timestamp="1435699957"]I just came back from the screening. I saw the film but I had to leave before the Q&A because my friend I went with had a minor emergency haha. Just some notes on it:

- This forum is thanked in the credits!

Wow that was nice of them , sure a lot of you gave them a lot of info and pics, I think also that they knew that we wanted the real story about the " real" Amy warts and all. Seems like they did it. Got to travel over 100miles to see though, just want to see it in my own with nobody giving me their judgments on it . Have seen Tyler's comment on the film he said it captures the core of Amy. Taking lots of hankies!

Also comment about Nick S and Raye, think that was why Nick felt so hurt when Amy dropped him he cared for her, but that caring, trying to keep her on the straight and narrow felt alien to her where as Raye just let her do want she wanted , unless money was involved and we all know how that turned out... She didn't need a friend she needed a protector that wasn't her employee.
  • Tara, LaPeep, pearljo and 5 others like this

#649 Ace of Hearts

Ace of Hearts

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:44 AM

I watched back to back sessions of this movie today. I'm quite emotionally exhausted but I must say its a bittersweet film focusing on Amy as a person and artist and nothing else - so refreshing, given the distractions about her addiction and men trouble and family issues etc. it was actually quite surreal watching it given I've read so much about it and have waited soooo long!

Andrew Morris should be made a saint;

Juleitte, Lauren and Nick S are some of the best friends any girl would ever want to have; and

Blake, Mitch and Raye, while aren't soley to blame for her predicament, are all culpable of adding fuel to the fire. Raye and Mitch in particular "Just one more show, just one more album, just one more anything". All I could think of was Judy Garland but in the 21st century.

Also I didn't realise that she was so "in" with Mos Def. I loved what he said to her when she went to his hotel room late one night wanting to smoke crack. He said "I don't mind if you get high. But I mind that you get high".

One minor thing I think I spotted - although I could be wrong - the lyrics read "your ten men down like Roger Moore"

A fitting tribute to our legend. Special props to our forum scoring a mention in the credits!

Can't wait to watch the cut footage in DVD and listen to the very little snippet of "We're still friends"
  • LaPeep, Sassy, Uno and 3 others like this

#650 Guest_Chris_*

Guest_Chris_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2015 - 07:53 AM

http://www.yahoo.com...-150539019.html

• Birdieava, Ace of Hearts and King Marty like this

#651 Ace of Hearts

Ace of Hearts

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 08:05 AM

"Musician Tyler James, who was friends with Amy for over a decade, said: “I know there’s a lot of controversy surrounding this film, but ultimately the film’s not about me, it’s not about Nick, it’s not about Mitch, it’s about Amy. And I think it shows Amy – the core of Amy.”

God bless Tyler! A true friend
  • Tara, LaPeep, Sassy and 6 others like this

#652 Poom

Poom

My Own Best Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:38 PM

It’s a film that makes you newly angry and sad about losing Winehouse so early – before albums three, four, five and more, before the lifetime achievement awards and glittering retrospectives, the scandalously young boyfriends and croaking Vegas residencies.

But in doing so, it forces you to recognise the sheer selfishness of that anger and sadness. As becomes shatteringly clear, the last thing we should have asked of Winehouse was more.

Nothing new, but I really liked this bit...

http://www.telegraph...ilm/amy/review/

• LaPeep, pearljo, Birdieava and 4 others like this

#653 HelloSailor

HelloSailor

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 04:05 PM

All I could think of was Judy Garland but in the 21st century.

Funny that Sylvia Young thought she would be the next Judy Garland when she auditioned aged 12...  :(

• LaPeep, Ace of Hearts and King Marty like this

#654 Tara

Tara

This Bird Has Flown...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 04:47 PM

I saw it the other day and felt numbed by it. I followed her career from the beginning so the story is very familiar to me. But the more I think about how nobody was truly on her side, and how lonely and isolated she was by the end, the more furious I am. Is this how we treat our most gifted, sensitive artists - as mere cogs in the wheel of industry, to be tossed aside when they fail to deliver the goods?

• LaPeep, Sassy, Birdieava and 4 others like this
Posted Image

'Memories mar my mind, love is a fate resigned'

#655 Mizzwanned

Mizzwanned

Noob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 02 July 2015 - 05:19 PM

I haven't seen it yet but I just can't believe that the day is finally here after waiting for a couple years!! It's surreal. Going tonight
  • LaPeep, Birdieava, Ace of Hearts and 1 other like this

#656 SarahMermaid

SarahMermaid

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 02 July 2015 - 05:26 PM

I'm going on Friday. Feel like I'm going to see her in concert! I guess this is as close as it gets to that. 

• Birdieava, Ace of Hearts and King Marty like this

#657 Guest_Chris_*

Guest_Chris_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2015 - 05:31 PM

http://www.nme.com/n...winehouse/86639
  • Birdieava and King Marty like this

#658 The Other Side

The Other Side

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 690 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 July 2015 - 05:54 PM

If Mitch is making a movie, i hope it's not just to put him and Reg in an great light. 

• Birdieava and King Marty like this

#659 Poom

Poom

My Own Best Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:20 PM

• Ace of Hearts and King Marty like this

#660 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 06:24 PM

Oh good god.... it'll probably have his name in the title. I don't even want to watch his talking head for 2 hours.

• Birdieava, Ace of Hearts, King Marty and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cannes, doc, documentary, film, movie

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users